Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #143
    nZE7vS9.png

Ryota Oshima 大島 僚太 - Kawasaki Frontale
    Position: CM (AM, RW)
    Height: 1.68m
    Weight: 64kg

Oshima is probably the biggest CM prospect around, great little passer, always involved in build up and link play, always looking to pass and move. He chips in with the odd goal but it's not a strong point. Essentially he's somewhere between a #8 and a deeper #10, but with more mobility and less strength than the average European-based player. For that reason it might be less likely to see him excel outside of a Japanese system.

Itztli

'Curious'
    May 12, 2011
    Nice reporting Jay. Just inspired me to do a thread like this for American players.

Although I have to ask as to why their seems to be a lack of Central Defenders coming out of J.League and Japan? Even with the lack of height, you can produced a Cannavaro or Mascherano. Both of which arent tall Centerbacks

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    They are little creative attacking midfielders(playmakers/wingers) or little technical 2nd forward basically :D Ocassional mobile compact fullback. But all fit the same physically lacking profile mainly, barely ever physically strong/tall to be ideal for European footie most of the time. But Jay posted a CB talent in previous page, Iwanami, I just looked as his big stature and assumed this guy besides talent, is good match for euro adventure.

Reminds me kind of issues Portugal has had for ages, they only produce the same kind of players in their style of system.

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    Damn, just read up on her. Very insular, conservative and homogenous Japanese defenitely wont accept her (or other half-Japanese) even after winning. Though winning in itself is little progress I guess.

Mohad

The Ocean Star
    May 20, 2009
    Miss Japan 2015 @Osman @Fr3sh @Mohad

Ariana-Miyamoto-Miss-Universe-Japan-2015-002-257x300.jpg
    Damn, just read up on her. Very insular, conservative and homogenous Japanese defenitely wont accept her (or other half-Japanese) even after winning. Though winning in itself is little progress I guess.
    Yeah there's a lot of racism in Japan.

I get it that they want to preserve their unique culture and they don't want it to change but they don't have to be $#@!s about it.
    Just read her story :touched:

It's Japan after all, where some of them can't even stand beauty, let alone being racists.

OP
    JuveJay

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #156
    6AVBs4m.png

Masatoshi Kushibiki 櫛引政敏 - Shimizu S-Pulse
    Position: GK
    Height: 1.85m
    Weight: 82kg

Finally a goalkeeper of note, Kushibiki is basically the only young Japanese goalkeeper who starts regularly in J1. This is his first season as a #1 and he has shown a lot of promise.

Very modern type of goalkeeper, controls his area well and often plays as a sweeper. His kicking is strong out of hand and on the ground, and he is mobile. His youth development as an outfield player is very evident with his use of the ball at feet. In terms of shot stopping he is above average, his agility is good, like most Japanese goalkeepers, and he usually gets a strong hand to shots. The attacking, technique-based nature of Japanese football means that keepers have a lot to deal with and porous defences in front of them, so they always get chances to make saves.

What sets him apart from other young keepers is his calmness around the area, he plays like a more experienced keeper and positions himself well. There are clear mistakes in decision making, but those will happen for any young keeper. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the Japan #1 one day, as the only decent keeper close to his age is Shuichi Gonda.

At just over six foot he is on the lower end of the height scale for traditional European-based keepers, but for his style his height is fairly common.

- - - Updated - - -

Takahiro Sekine 関根 貴大 - Urawa Red Diamonds
    Position: RM (RW)
    Height: 1.67m
    Weight: 61kg

This kid is a bit of a nightmare for defenders because he goes inside and outside off the wing with aggression, very direct dribbler, also likes to play a lot of give and go football. Very small and hard to get off the ball without giving a free-kick away, he has excellent acceleration and good vision. He reminds me of Giovinco when he has the ball at his feet, but he's more aggressive and direct.

He is playing in a very strong Reds team so looks even better this year. Last year was his first full season, which was a real breakthrough for him, and this year he is just another level with 4 goals and 6 assists approaching the halfway stage.

Considering his age, skill and aggressive style he should have a good career. He's small so is restricted to playing around opposition players, but he is quite stocky and can hold his own in possession.

- - - Updated - - -

Gen Shōji 昌子 源 - Kashima Antlers
    Position: DC (DL)
    Height: 1.82m
    Weight: 74kg

Up until high school Shoji played as a centre forward, but his then coach saw potential in him as a central defender. His background as a forward is easy to see; he is good with the ball, he always looks to be an attacking threat on set pieces, but he also has good traits as a defender. At six foot tall he is both mobile and willing to do the dirty defensive work. Probably not the strongest defender you will ever come across, indeed he had to improve his physique once he made the switch to defence, but he positions his body well in direct duels. He's a decent tackler and jumps well, but is also one of the better defenders at harrying opposition players. In this sense he reminds me a lot of Yuji Nakazawa.

Japan aren't blessed with many excellent central defenders, but Shoji's hard work and determination has seen him establish himself with Antlers, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a player like that take another step.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)