JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #121

Wataru Endo 遠藤 航 - Shonan Bellmare
    Position: DC (SW, DM)
    Height: 1.77m
    Weight: 73kg

There are no real videos of this guy around, other than him scoring a couple of penalties. That might seem odd for a central defender but he is that type of player. Last year he scored 7 penalties as Shonan Bellmare won promotion to J1.

Being made captain of Bellmare aged 19 in J2 is an indication that this is a player with maturity and leadership. He is a ball-playing, all-action kind of central defender who can also step forward in position. Small even for a Japanese defender, but with a fantastic leap, his timing of headers is very good at both ends of the field.

His size also allows him to be mobile, and he has a fair amount of strength to go with it. Probably not strong or disciplined enough to be trusted in the defence of a decent European side right now, he's worth watching over the next few years. There is not a huge gulf between J1 and J2 teams because Japanese football isn't dictated by money, but it'll be interesting to see how he does against better foreign and national team players in J1 this season.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    I'm going to revive this dead thread by posting a fairly intriguing dialogue between two of its best football imports. The crux is that the dialogue/interview is 4 years old, before last WC, but still interesting with the topic being issues of Japanese football:

Succeeding in Europe as a Japanese
    Honda: In Europe I had to learn to win one-on-one battles just to survive on my team. In Japan all we learn is how to pass. When I was in Holland with VVV Venlo, we got relegated to the second division, and I thought, there’s no way I can be playing in the second division. Not me. I decided I needed to just score goals to get noticed and make it to the next level. No one was going to notice my passes. I couldn’t make it to the next level with assists.

Nakata: When you’re abroad nobody takes a Japanese soccer player seriously. Because of this, you just have to score. Then people start passing to you. It’s really simple abroad. Those who can’t score can’t make it abroad. Maybe it’s good that you dropped to the second division.

Virtues of Selfishness
    Nakata: Do you want to do what’s right for the team and play balanced offensively and defensively? Or do you want to bring out your individual qualities and do what’s best for yourself and go forward and score? You have to let your individual qualities shine. Everyone will criticize you if the results don’t come. Your teammates, the media, coaches... Tell me, how do you feel when people criticize you? You probably don’t feel that bad being criticized. It gives you strength.

Honda: Yeah, I suppose I feel like I’m being noticed.

Nakata: I understand that feeling too. Actually if your defenders are telling you you’re doing a good job, there’s probably something wrong.

Honda: I want to be recognized for my style of play. I’m not a striker but… I want to be near the goal and take lots of shots… be a player that’s feared by the other team. I don’t want to be a defensive midfielder or side halfback at a big club. I want to be a player that a coach at a big club cannot live without unless he has me playing attacking center midfielder. Someone who scores goals or makes goals happen. The player that the defense hates the most. That’s who I want to be.

Nakata: it’s all about how much you can bring out your individual characteristics and how selfish you can be. This is especially true when playing on the Japan National Team. There’s a lot that people are going to criticize you for. But I believe you have to continue in your own way and this is the most important thing for you on the Japan National team.

Level of Japanese Soccer Today
    Nakata: So how’s the team (Japan)?

Honda: Well, of course we’re the weakest of the four teams in our group. We have the lowest probability in the group, but we will fight them.

Nakata: Well from a skill level perspective, or if you look at speed over short distances or even strategy, there probably aren’t any teams that are that much better than us. In practice or mini-games, we’re really good. Japanese players can pass the ball around so quickly and skillfully. Even I feel unskilled compared to them!

Honda: The level of Japanese soccer is getting so much higher. We keep saying that but what does that mean? We’re playing soccer to get goals, right? So our skill level is going up, but what is skill? Are we scoring more goals because of this higher skill level?

Nakata: The technique that Japan possesses is the kind of technique you can use in practice. But that doesn’t translate into games. If you showed people a Japanese practice, people would think we’re at the very highest level in the world. Can we use this in game? No we can’t… That being said, if we can do it in practice, we should theoretically be able to use it in a game. But we can’t.

Honda: Why is that?

Nakata: We don’t know how to use the skill we possess. Understanding how the match progresses, how we put feelings into the game, the emotional aspect. We might be spec'd to go 300 kilometers per hour, but at this point, we only know how to go 200kph.

Honda: Maybe there’s something wrong with the way we practice.

Nakata: At least when I played for Japan that was true. I remember telling the media after the 2006 World Cup qualifiers that at this rate, Japan can’t win. Sometimes we can bring out our best. But we can’t bring that out constantly for an extended time. That’s what I experienced in qualifying. This game was good, that game was bad. We just don’t know how to bring it out every time. We don’t know how to approach games or practices. It’s the basis of everything, but it’s what’s missing for Japan right now. But we don’t approach practice like a match so you can’t bring out that emotion in a match. To bring something out in a match, you need to bring it out in practice. In a foreign practice, the players will come at you at full force and knock you with no problems.

Honda: Yes, that’s true. There are so many times I’ve even seen fights during practices.

Nakata: That’s how intense everyone is. That’s what’s missing with Japanese players. If you have that fight and the skills and speed and tactics, you can go far. I’m not one to tell my teammates to work harder or try harder. That’s something that is obvious to me. But I realize that’s what’s missing. In this World Cup, I don’t care to see the skills or tactics. They’re high already. What was missing in 2006 was our readiness and willingness to fight. I want to see if we’ve improved on that front for this World Cup.

Honda’s play at the World Cup
    Nakata: What kind of play do you want to do at the World Cup?

Honda: It’s my first time. I wondered during the Champions League how nervous I’d get at the World Cup. I tried to make myself nervous on purpose before the games by telling myself, if we lose we’re out. I thought, then I could learn to control my nervousness during the World Cup. For me, it’s exciting. Preparation is everything. Do I have what it takes to score against Cameroon? Who knows? But in myself I do believe I have the ability. If I or the strikers don’t score who’s going to score? That’s how I think. Let’s quickly get forward instead of staying back. Let’s quickly take shots when the game starts. Score like you did against Juventus (when Nakata was with Roma). If I see a small opening I’ll shoot. How many times will I be able to get that shot? I have a feeling over 90 minutes this could possibly turn into one or two goals, hopefully. People watching will probably say, “You suck!" and "Why don’t you pass to the open forward?!” I know you’re supposed to pass to the open player. That’s the “correct” thing to do… But, I don’t think we can play pretty soccer. I know ideally we want to play the Japanese style of soccer, but maybe we will only go in front of the goal twice. People say don't take too many risks, but I’m afraid of not taking risks. Isn’t it a bigger risk not to take risks? What’s the point if we don’t take risks?

Final Advice from Nakata:

Nakata: A selfish player either ends up being an idiot or a great player. If you get the results, you’re great. If not, you’re an idiot. But if they think you’re an idiot, it doesn’t end there. Eventually selfish players usually rise to the top. They might say, “He never passes, but he takes every shot and every free kick”. Eventually the selfish player will score and be a hero and everything in the past is forgotten. That’s the world of soccer. If you keep listening around you and pass the ball because you’re told to, if you don’t have that selfishness, you’ll end up being a good player, but you’ll never be an exceptional player. Even when you don’t produce results, stay strong. Especially abroad, you have to be selfish if you want to keep rising to the top. Based on my experience, you have to do that. I was someone who wasn’t able to unleash all of my selfishness. My biggest regret in my soccer life was that I couldn’t be selfish enough. You’re about to take a similar path to mine, and you seem like the kind of player who wants to bring your talents and qualities out. So my advice to you is to bring it out even more.

I’ve been watching you and you’re playing very well offensively and you’re scoring goals. This is simple and important. Even within the Japanese National Team, what we are missing most is scoring ability. Games with scores of 4-3 or 5-4, can we do a game like that? Right now, we can’t. We need to become a team that can get goals. Go ahead and go forward and score goals. It’s very important. You’re going to continue abroad and deliver results. Don’t worry about matching with the team, I hope you continue to do what you think is right and be selfish.

What I was expecting of Honda Keisuke as a person and soccer player turned out to be correct after meeting you today. I felt like I’m probably really similar to you.

Honda: I felt that way too, and I’m really happy about it!!

Nakata: Because I think we're similar, I'll tell you that I have these regrets about not being selfish enough in my soccer life, and I want you to play so you don’t have those regrets. You probably have a lot of questions and what not, but I just want you to not have the same regrets. I just want to see how selfish you can be. How much of a hero can you be? I want you to come back after the World Cup and at worst say, “(Nakata), because of you, we lost in the World Cup!” How much are you going to play like yourself? That’s what I’m excited to see. It’s like Beckham. He’s blamed for England losing (in 1998) and then later (in 2002) he’s the hero. It’s one or the other. I’ don’t want to be mediocre – that’s the worst. I’d rather be the worst or the best. Be one or the other. Finally, don’t get too nervous about the world cup (laughs). Just take that first shot, and you’ll be OK. Well, it’s not anything to get nervous about.

Honda: Well you’ve been in three World Cups!

Nakata: Now there’s players on the team who’ve been in four World Cups! Goalkeepers, Narazaki and Kawaguchi.

Honda: Well you could’ve played in four!

Nakata: HAHAHA, I’ll reconsider it after 2010 is done!

- - - Updated - - -

And on unrelated note, I hope Juve scout this dude in WC :agree:

OP
    JuveJay

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #126
    @Osman

176579857-musashi-suzuki-of-japan-poses-prior-to-the-gettyimages.jpg

Jamaican-Japanese striker from Albirex Niigata, Musashi Suzuki.

Personally I don't think he's all that great, but definitely something different compared to other Japanese strikers.

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    If your career is like 3 goals they keep rewinding for 1 minute then yeah you arent that great :D But cool name, first name atleast, anything thing that reminds me of Miyamoto :tup:

OP
    JuveJay

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #128
    Just seeing how the following players developed in a couple of years:

Hiroki Sakai - moved to Hannover and has become a starter there, valued around €4m (TM).

Hiroshi Kiyotake - also at Hannover having moved from Nurnberg, another starter, valued around €5m.

Naoki Yamada - suffered from horrible injuries which kept him out for over a year combined, now on loan at Shonan Bellmare and rebuilding his career. Valued around €0.3m

Yuji Ono - moved to Standard Liege, where he is in and out of the team and seems to mostly be used on the wings, valued around €1.5m.

Genki Haraguchi - moved to Hertha BSC and has played with more regularity as the season has worn on, valued around €1.5m.

Yuya Kubo - moved to Young Boys where he has been used largely as the second striker rather than the main CF as he did in Japan, with a modest goal return, valued around €1.5m.

Akimi Barada - still at Kashiwa Reysol where he has played nearly 200 games aged 23. I'm not convinced someone will take a chance on him in Europe, he is more of a steady two way player than a stand out. Valued around €0.7m.

Yosuke Kashiwagi - still at Urawa Reds, one of the better attacking midfielders in the league, but at 27 he seems to have little interest in him or in moving abroad. Valued around €1.5m.

Junya Tanaka - moved to Sporting Lisbon where he has surprised me a little by actually playing some games and scoring a few goals. I didn't think he was quite good enough for that level but he does have a formidable shot and good strength. Valued around €2.2m.

Hideki Ishige - still at Shimizu S-Pulse but he's only a baby still at 20 and is finding his feet. A second good season in Japan will probably see more links to Europe, which he has had since he was 18. Valued around €1m.

Gaku Shibasaki - still at Kashima Antlers but surely won't be for long, aged 22 he is smashing the 2015 season up with controlled midfield performances, assists, chances and the odd goal. He has quality on the ball and a good engine. Expect him to be moving in the near future. Valued around €1.5m.

Wataru Endo - still at Shonan Bellmare but may well step up to a bigger Japanese side in the near future. He's still 22 but developing well, and always a threat at the other end. I can't remember a defensively positioned player who gets into so many scoring chances and plays the ball so often. Very strong in the air for the league. Valued around €1m.​

========================

I'll be adding new players excelling in the 2015 season; Keijiro Ogawa, Takashi Usami, Yoshinori Muto, Takuma Asano, Shunsuke Motegi, Takuya Iwanami, Naoki Maeda and Ryota Oshima.

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
    Aug 13, 2013
    forza Japanese :tup:

i remember when nakata played in fiorentina and he was one of the best asia football.I believe all players that you mentioned have a bright future ahead of them.

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    He was heavily linked with Chelsea, I assumed PR move since it wasnt destination Germany as usual hehe (over a dozen of them there now, woh), even if he is a good talent. Should fit in well in Mainz.

Kiyotake is still the most interesting for me in current players, sick fucking freekicks :tup:

You didnt mention the other Sakai who is also fullback, he is not doing well in Stuttgart?

OP
    JuveJay

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #136
    I will get around to updating this soon, just been busy.

I always liked Kiyotake. Inui too. I think Haraguchi might also do something in the Bundesliga. Japanese players seem to be desirable for that league these days. Which is a shame for the likes of Jungo Fujimoto or Kengo Nakamura, who were just as talented but a step too early.

I rarely ever watched any anime, btw.

Chelsea did want Muto, Yokohama Tyres pushed for it, but he is better off somewhere like Mainz. He looked too good for the J. League, as does Usami (again).

OP
    JuveJay

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #137
    C7BGZxO.png

Keijiro Ogawa 小川 慶治朗 - Vissel Kobe
    Position: RW (AM, LW)
    Height: 1.68m
    Weight: 65kg

He is small and stocky and causes all sorts of problems for defenders in both and central areas. He's very quick off the mark, often beating defenders who are a lot closer to the ball, and his strength is good for his small size.

Personally I think he doesn't score enough for the chances he gets (often by himself), but he has started to improve on that. Someone will take a chance on him. He was linked to a few teams in Europe when he broke through (Udinese and Parma were two), and he is establishing himself now.

- - - Updated - - -

iDXZjeQ.png

Takashi Usami 宇佐美 貴史 - Gamba Osaka
    Position: SS (LW, CF)
    Height: 1.78m
    Weight: 68kg

European fans know this guy for his unsuccessful loan spells at Bayern and Hoffenheim, but he's making a big comeback in the J. League and already looks set for a second stint in Europe. He may well stay in Japan for another season or two, much depends on the offer.

He reads the game well, plays the quick-slow game very well, he can dribble, run, shoot off both feet and also make assists. He is pretty tall for a Japanese player in this position and has the size to be a success.

This season he has just gone off the charts, after a 10+10 season last year. He already has 10 goals in 12 J. League game, 4 goals in the Asian Champions League, this guy needs to prove he can make the same kind of impact as Kagawa.

- - - Updated - - -

Yoshinori%20Muto-150410-Inaction-G300.jpg

Yoshinori Muto 武藤 嘉紀 - FC Tokyo (Mainz 2015-16)
    Position: LW (CF, RW)
    Height: 1.79m
    Weight: 72kg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE1jkhR8Id8

Cheating a little here as the guy has joined Mainz for €5m after rejecting a move to Chelsea, but he's really exploded this season after a good 2014. Usami and the experienced centre forward Yohei Toyoda are the only players keeping him off the top of the scoring charts.

More than a penalty box striker, he often plays off the wing but arrives in central areas. Not as skillful as a classic Japanese WF or AM, but not an all-out CF. He's more in line with someone like Okazaki, and long term should replace him in the NT.

I expect the Germans will use him in a wider area to begin with, but he is very direct and focused on goal.

OP
    JuveJay

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #139
    7dPz7fI.png

Takuma Asano 浅野 拓磨 - Sanfrecce Hiroshima
    Position: CF (SS)
    Height: 1.71m
    Weight: 70kg

Not much video footage of the guy but he did hit the news with this nice goal earlier in the season, which made goal of the week. He's a squat and direct 'running striker' as I call them. A bit like Michael Owen in style, just without the finishing. He's more of a support or legs for the regular front two, but I could see him replacing veteran Hisato Sato long term.

I've no idea if he could succeed in Europe, I'm not sure how many openings there are for this type of striker. He'd probably end up being pushed into a wide area where he is not as dangerous.

- - - Updated - - -

t5hcrhj.png

Shunsuke Motegi 茂木 駿佑 - Vegalta Sendai
    Position: RW
    Height: 1.68m
    Weight: 64kg

No video as he is just a baby, came up from the Sendai Youth team this winter and surprisingly went into the first team early on. Only recently has he been left out for a few games. He's a small winger who is quick and good with the ball off both feet, he's a good dribbler, and he has a strong dead ball game. He will bulk out a little over time.

It's far too early to tell what his potential is, but he has been the most impressive rookie of his age thus far this season.

- - - Updated - - -

ZCF7s1k.png

Takuya Iwanami 岩波 拓也 - Vissel Kobe
    Position: DC
    Height: 1.85m
    Weight: 72kg

Good luck finding a video of a Japanese central defender but I can tell you a lot about this guy, because he has been on the radar for a long time. He was captain of the U17 NT, he was a regular in J2 for Vissel and won J2 Young Player of the Year in 2013, and has established himself as a starter in J1. He is tall (as far as Japanese defenders go), strong in contact, good with the ball and contributes to starting attacks, and he even has a good dead ball, especially from free-kicks.

PSV tried to get hold of him around the time he was in the U17 NT, but he stayed in Japan and is definitely on the radar of European clubs. For me he's the best central defensive prospect Japan have, and he could be as good as Maya Yoshida one day.

Slightly off topic but a good interview with Maya on the subject of breaking ground and the issues Asian players face in big physical positions, such as goalkeeper, central defender or centre forward: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...success-it-is-not-enough-for-me-10107108.html

OP
    JuveJay

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #140
    tb5T2RU.png

Naoki Maeda 前田 直輝 - Matsumoto Yamaga
    Position: SS (RW, CF)
    Height: 1.75m
    Weight: 66kg

This guy is fun to watch, he's extremely direct both dribbling and shooting the ball, his game is mostly coming in off the wing and trying to blitz defenders with either using his strong left foot. Downsides to his game are his general finishing and being a bit too individualistic at times.

I'm almost certain you'll see a European team take a chance on this guy with him being so entertaining and direct, he'd really suit German football.

BTW love this video of this goal of his just for the amazing fans:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)