Tudor to Standard? (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
That kind of thing really makes me laugh. To any European (feel free to travel over here and ask) Vinni is just about as American as it gets. All that "I have European roots" nonsense just makes you look silly.
maybe my opinions about politics, and the pride I have in my country may make you think that Erik...I'm sorry I cant be as liberal as yourself

HOWEVER, I know my football, and I have as much knowledge about it as any Eurpean out there

Vinman

Jul 16, 2002
Well by my accounts you've probably only seen Onyewu play one match, so that doesn't exactly make you an expert on his abilities. Barzagli may be the better player at the moment, however Onyewu is younger and much less overrated, something that means we'd save money in our pocketbooks.

But nobody would want an American in Juve, would they? We don't know shit about this sport, do we Vinni.
so, we agree...Barzagli is the better choice

I dont really care if we have Italians, Americans, or Iraqis at Juve...as long as they can play, and have heart, then they are welcome

Alex66

Jul 14, 2006
Skrtel would be good, hes 21 or 22 i dont know, plays for Zenit St.Petersburg and for the Slovak nationalteam. Hamburg and Liverpool were interested in him, but the asking price was too high

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
so, we agree...Barzagli is the better choice
How did you come to that conclusion? In actuality, I gave more evidence as to why Onyewu would be a better choice. He'd come to Juventus at mere pennies compared to Barzagli who we would have to spend over 15 for... another Legrottaglie perhaps?

Apr 12, 2004
How did you come to that conclusion? In actuality, I gave more evidence as to why Onyewu would be a better choice. He'd come to Juventus at mere pennies compared to Barzagli who we would have to spend over 15 for... another Legrottaglie perhaps?

Onyewu would not be as good as Barzagli, he would have to become accustomed to how the Italian game is played and would have to learn italian, unlike Andrea who already knows both of those.

It would be 2 seasons before Onyewu would be truly any good for Juve.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
only for the US NT

and that was 3 or 4 games
I wouldn't judge him that fast. He was putting in very solid performances for Standard. Your criticism towards the Belgian league is no doubt apt, but after all Onyewu is moving to a bigger league right now. We'll soon discover what he's truly worth.

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
gooch might be a decent player but the safe money is definately with Barzagli, he's proven in serie A and he's the future of the NT, no one can deny his talent, i'd rather spend 15m on a sure thing than 3m on an unproven talent

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
maybe my opinions about politics, and the pride I have in my country may make you think that Erik...I'm sorry I cant be as liberal as yourself

HOWEVER, I know my football, and I have as much knowledge about it as any Eurpean out there
Oh I would never question your knowledge of football, that is not my point.

The point is that many Americans (not just you, this isn't a personal attack) seem to feel an urge to point out their ancestoral roots (especially if they are 'European') and that is ridiculous from a European stance.

In my second year at university in The Hague, an exchange student from the States joined our group for a semester. He was always on about his Dutch roots (last name had 'van' in it, blah) and he subsequently spent most of his life reading about Holland, supporting Dutch athletes in the olympics and other sports and studying the Dutch society but when it came down to it: he had absolutely nothing Dutch about him. Compare him to any Dutchman and he was distinctly American.

My question hence is this: why not embrace the American culture you grew up in and are so clearly a product of? (again not a personal question, but I don't like to use 'one' instead of 'you')

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Oh I would never question your knowledge of football, that is not my point.

The point is that many Americans (not just you, this isn't a personal attack) seem to feel an urge to point out their ancestoral roots (especially if they are 'European') and that is ridiculous from a European stance.

In my second year at university in The Hague, an exchange student from the States joined our group for a semester. He was always on about his Dutch roots (last name had 'van' in it, blah) and he subsequently spent most of his life reading about Holland, supporting Dutch athletes in the olympics and other sports and studying the Dutch society but when it came down to it: he had absolutely nothing Dutch about him. Compare him to any Dutchman and he was distinctly American.

My question hence is this: why not embrace the American culture you grew up in and are so clearly a product of? (again not a personal question, but I don't like to use 'one' instead of 'you')
It's quite contradictory with the American patriotism if you ask me. How can one be a profound patriot, but brag about his European roots? If you're proud about your country, you shouldn't be spending time bragging about other countries.

I reckon it's a defense mechanism. I can imagine Italian Americans getting a rough time at school. By embracing the "Italian" culture as their own they get into a group they feel they belong to. However, one shouldn't describe such a group as "Italian", but as "Italian American". The link with Italy in such a case is almost non-existent IMO.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
It's quite contradictory with the American patriotism if you ask me. How can one be a profound patriot, but brag about his European roots? If you're proud about your country, you shouldn't be spending time bragging about other countries.
Exactly

I reckon it's a defense mechanism. I can imagine Italian Americans getting a rough time at school. By embracing the "Italian" culture as their own they get into a group they feel they belong to.
Possibly

However, one shouldn't describe such a group as "Italian", but as "Italian American". The link with Italy in such a case is almost non-existent IMO.
I can assure you there are no actual Italians who would accept an Italian-American as one of them. Not in my experience, anyway.

Vinman

Jul 16, 2002
Exactly

Possibly

I can assure you there are no actual Italians who would accept an Italian-American as one of them. Not in my experience, anyway.
OK, so I guess that counts for everyone...KING ERIK HAS SPOKEN !!:rolleyes:

The USA is my country, Italy is my heritage

maybe you guys cannot understand the fact that the USA has immigrants from all over the globe who come here for the American dream. Should families toss their culture and customs out the window, just because they moved to another country ??

Culture and customs are passed on to the next generations, and there is no reason you cant be a good American, and keep your culture

I grew up in an Italian family, in an Italian neighborhood, where you could hear people speaking both Italian and English on any given day.

If you asked anyone, be it old or young, where their allegiance lies, the answer would always be with the USA

But, anyone who's an Italian-American could also tell you that we were a little different than other Americans, just ask Pado, Sergio or Nick

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
OK, so I guess that counts for everyone...KING ERIK HAS SPOKEN !!:rolleyes:

The USA is my country, Italy is my heritage

maybe you guys cannot understand the fact that the USA has immigrants from all over the globe who come here for the American dream. Should families toss their culture and customs out the window, just because they moved to another country ??
Culture and customs are passed on to the next generations, and there is no reason you cant be a good American, and keep your culture

I grew up in an Italian family, in an Italian neighborhood, where you could hear people speaking both Italian and English on any given day.

If you asked anyone, be it old or young, where their allegiance lies, the answer would always be with the USA

But, anyone who's an Italian-American could also tell you that we were a little different than other Americans, just ask Pado, Sergio or Nick
Now that's funny. Would you say that also goes for muslims?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)