Travels (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Jun-hide ] ++
:eek:,
Personally, I quite like Spanish.
I had vaccasion on Spain couple of years ago, and I really liked what I saw. Their landscape reminded me of "western cowboy film", and I loved the way people ate their lunch. Talking, talking, busy, emotional, and "HUGE" lunch.:D.
Also, Spanish seemed to me quite kind, not in the sense, it is gentle like English but more sincere I, guess.
Sevilla was simply amazing, and especially the Cathedral.
It is a wonderful country.
Spain is nice, Catalonia is better.:devil:

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Ian
Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #3
    Espanyol fan Ian?;)
    Barcelona, was a phenomenal place, especially the "Gaucci" building at night was some sight.:cool:
    No way, I'm a Barca fan all the way.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    Espanyol fan Ian?;)
    Barcelona, was a phenomenal place, especially the "Gaucci" building at night was some sight.:cool:
    really?i may be going during the holidays:)

Glen

Aug 26, 2002
    Espanyol fan Ian?;)
    Gaudí Jun-Hide... Gaudí ;).
    It's a real shame "la Sagrada Familia" (I gather that's the one you mean) was never completed by Gaudí though. It would have been something if it had all been in the same style. There are many other Gaudí sites though. "Park Guiell" and some psyrealistic, ornament draped buildings in Barrio Gotico.

Have anyone seen Pedro Almodóvar's "Todos con mí madre" (All about my mother) ? Apart from being an amazing movie it also has brill pictures of both the Gotico and the valley before entering Barcelona. Barcelona is surely among my favourite cities.

Oh yeah- nearly forgot... for the concentrated Almodovár mini-experience, pimps, prostitutes, drags, drinking, wild partying and sneaky thugs.. don't miss out on Plaza Real... down the Rambla and left. For those going to Barcelona that has to be a must at least once :). At least- it was great 4 years ago when I was there last.

Ciao.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Glen ] ++

Gaudí Jun-Hide... Gaudí ;).
    It's a real shame "la Sagrada Familia" (I gather that's the one you mean) was never completed by Gaudí though. It would have been something if it had all been in the same style. There are many other Gaudí sites though. "Park Guiell" and some psyrealistic, ornament draped buildings in Barrio Gotico.

Have anyone seen Pedro Almodóvar's "Todos con mí madre" (All about my mother) ? Apart from being an amazing movie it also has brill pictures of both the Gotico and the valley before entering Barcelona. Barcelona is surely among my favourite cities.

Oh yeah- nearly forgot... for the concentrated Almodovár mini-experience, pimps, prostitutes, drags, drinking, wild partying and sneaky thugs.. don't miss out on Plaza Real... down the Rambla and left. For those going to Barcelona that has to be a must at least once :). At least- it was great 4 years ago when I was there last.

Ciao.
    yeah, you are right Glen,:).
    It is shame that it never got finished yet, its night sight, with various leon light illuminating on the building is some sight. The uniqueness of design, and yet its complexity, and beauty took my breath away.:cool:.
    It took me quite a while to find the site, though.
    Spanish "Calles" are so confusing!
    I also had Barca replica shirts on while I was staying, to appease the locals even though I was tempted to wear the Real shirt.;):D.
    A taxi driver, having saw my Barca shirt, asked me if i supported Barca (I think, anyway;):D), and since I speak very little Spanish, I pretended to support Barca, and said words like, "Saviola", "es muy buena", "si," "no":). The point is, I am very impressed by the fact that football is firmly in the grassroot in Spain as a national sport. Although, soccer is a big, and growing sport in my country, such tradition, and popularity is just unthinkable.
    Glen, what is name of the mountain, whereby you have a Olympic stadium, a famous modern art museum and other tourist resort in Barcelona? Anyway, I was very impressed by the palace in that mountain, and also I was extremely lucky because the night I reached Barcelona, there was a firework in that palace. There were millions of tourist like me, crowded around that palace to see the firework. The whole road which lead to the palace were absolutely packed! And as always, there were millions of my countrymen despite the current financial downturn.;).
    Anway, the black night sky with yellow light coming out of buildings, and presence of millions of people to watch beautiful fireworks was simply unforgettable.
    By the way, Sevilla was another good place to visit. I loved the Cathedral in that city. It was filled with gold, and beutiful painting.
    However, no place in the world would be Vatican city. It is simply the :thumb:

OP
    Ian
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #7
    However, no place in the world would be Vatican city. It is simply the :thumb:
    You are crazy, right? There has never been a place that I had a worse time then when I was in the Vatican, and I've travelled, a lot.

Glen

Aug 26, 2002

Glen, what is name of the mountain, whereby you have a Olympic stadium, a famous modern art museum and other tourist resort in Barcelona? Anyway, I was very impressed by the palace in that mountain
    I believe it's called 'Montjuïc' and the palace is 'Palau Sant Jordí'.
    On the Vatican- It's great that you enjoyed it ;). Personally; while Peter's church is just... amazing.. and having had a passing interest in the Renaissance arts there was alot for me to :eek: over... I find it a dead place. Lots of history and special vibes, but like a monestary with a tourist pulze ;). Me and my friend went their for half a day and hurried back to Rome itself :). But there are some spectacular things to see for sure.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Ian, that's a weird thing to say. Really, it is! :D

Glen, now we're talking. Keep going on Rome, I have a Rome vacation coming up ;)

I agree the Vatican is spectacular, perhaps you're right about the history aspect, Glen. But it still has enough to offer. We also went to one of those audiences with the Pope, that was really special. Tons of people from all over the world, 1/3 of which I estimated were Polish :)D) but it had an amazing atmosphere, I think it might be interesting for anyone remotely interested in religion, not just "believers".

OP
    Ian
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #10
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    Ian, that's a weird thing to say. Really, it is! :D

Glen, now we're talking. Keep going on Rome, I have a Rome vacation coming up ;)

I agree the Vatican is spectacular, perhaps you're right about the history aspect, Glen. But it still has enough to offer. We also went to one of those audiences with the Pope, that was really special. Tons of people from all over the world, 1/3 of which I estimated were Polish :)D) but it had an amazing atmosphere, I think it might be interesting for anyone remotely interested in religion, not just "believers".
    Wierd?, I think not, but maybe it's just because the Pope and I have some serious disagreements over matters of dogma and property ownership. Either way, there were too many crazies around for my taste, and the night-life is deadly...

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    :D

I believe it's called 'Montjuïc' and the palace is 'Palau Sant Jordí'.
    On the Vatican- It's great that you enjoyed it ;). Personally; while Peter's church is just... amazing.. and having had a passing interest in the Renaissance arts there was alot for me to :eek: over... I find it a dead place. Lots of history and special vibes, but like a monestary with a tourist pulze ;). Me and my friend went their for half a day and hurried back to Rome itself :). But there are some spectacular things to see for sure.
    Thanks for the name, and yes, I am pretty sure that was the name of the moutain. I remember going top of the mountain, where you have this medieval castle, and it is really good for site seeing. It was really nice to see the overview of Barcelona city.

Talking about Rome, it is simply the best city in the world!:cool:. It was my first family visit to the Rome, when I fell in love with Italy. The old Roman roads, with plenty of taxis which you often see in some romantic movies, and great standing oblisque wherever you go. It was quite strage to see Egytion momument in Roma;).
    Due to my lack of respect and interest in History, I did not appreciate the "Roman Ruins" or the "Canal, or sewage system". However, I was astonished by "Pantheon", and the night vision of "Trevi fountain" with its beutiful yellow lights. Spanish Square, and its stairs, in particular, also made some impression on me.:).
    Furthermore, I found out they are made Autobikes in Roma, so no wonder why you guys are so good at racing, and Valentino Rossi, in particular!:D.
    Oh yes, the food, it was simply the best. Although I am culturally to ignorant to know which food I ate.;):D. However, i was disappointed with Italian Pizza though, I was thinking it would be similar to Pizza Hut.:D.
    Lastly and not least, Vatican Museum. I remember the guide was saying how arrogant Michaelangelo was, and judging from his paintings, I think he deserved to be a little bit arrogant.;).
    A work of a True genieus! The painting looked phenomenal (having said that I have virtually no knowledge in Painting), and to hear that he created such a masterpiece with very dim enviroment was indeed very shocking. I read that his original picture of Jesus rising from dead, had no pants on so later people drew white cloth to hid Jesus's secret place.:D and it amused me very much while I was looking at the picture.:cool:.
    Ah, talking about Vatican, nothing impressed me more than its interior. Filled with marvelous paintings of Rafael, Michaelangelo, and other famous people, and their sculptures, the interior made up of beutiful marvel just simply excelled. It was just wonderful and kind of things you would only see in Walt Disney Animation or in "Versaille Palace".
    The statue of Paul and Peter at the front of St Peter's Cathedral was awesome as well.:D

By the Glen, are you Italian?

Ciao, (I burrowd it off you.;):D)

Glen

Aug 26, 2002
    It sounds like you had a real cracker Jun_Hide :D . Yeah- you pretty well listed the masters, although when talking about Michelangelo and Rafael- you need to mention Caravaggio too :). Now- that should bring us clear in case the art police shold come along ;).
    Although of course- besides the Vatican- Florence and Venize really are the places to go in terms of these guys.

Actually- it's not the sights that make me love Rome. The ruins and the Trevi and all that is great for sure, but I just love the athmosphere. You can't walk for 5 minutes without stopping at some Piazza that's worth checking out or hanging out on. It's just so laid back and bustling at the same time. Then there's the scenery on the little Island, where we always went out for dinner. Just- superb, and that's what many of us Northerners (I'm Danish btw. - just a wannabee Italian ;)) are really fascinated with. The life on the streets in Italy (also Spain for that matter- the whole Mediterranean scene), and no place did this appear more pronounced than Rome. No place I've visited at least, although we were at Siena at a festival, and that was madly delightfull as well. Best Piazza I've ever seen in front of the Town Hall.

But there's too much to say... :)

NB: On the pizza thing. I guess the reason is that Pizza in Italy is almost exclusively a lunch thing. That means they're less cheese stacked and alot thinner and more crispy. So- they're basically more simple and not as much of a whole meal. After a while I came to prefer it that way though. Makes room for other dishes later in the day too ;).

Martin: As you see- before you go we should be able to give you quite a few suggestions ;). Rule number 1 can be given now though- never accept the first price for accomodation ;).

Ciao.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    It sounds like you had a real cracker Jun_Hide :D . Yeah- you pretty well listed the masters, although when talking about Michelangelo and Rafael- you need to mention Caravaggio too :). Now- that should bring us clear in case the art police shold come along ;).
    Although of course- besides the Vatican- Florence and Venize really are the places to go in terms of these guys.

Actually- it's not the sights that make me love Rome. The ruins and the Trevi and all that is great for sure, but I just love the athmosphere. You can't walk for 5 minutes without stopping at some Piazza that's worth checking out or hanging out on. It's just so laid back and bustling at the same time. Then there's the scenery on the little Island, where we always went out for dinner. Just- superb, and that's what many of us Northerners (I'm Danish btw. - just a wannabee Italian ;)) are really fascinated with. The life on the streets in Italy (also Spain for that matter- the whole Mediterranean scene), and no place did this appear more pronounced than Rome. No place I've visited at least, although we were at Siena at a festival, and that was madly delightfull as well. Best Piazza I've ever seen in front of the Town Hall.

But there's too much to say... :)

NB: On the pizza thing. I guess the reason is that Pizza in Italy is almost exclusively a lunch thing. That means they're less cheese stacked and alot thinner and more crispy. So- they're basically more simple and not as much of a whole meal. After a while I came to prefer it that way though. Makes room for other dishes later in the day too ;).

Martin: As you see- before you go we should be able to give you quite a few suggestions ;). Rule number 1 can be given now though- never accept the first price for accomodation ;).

Ciao.
    Glen, can't blame you for wanting to be a Italian wannabe, that applies to me as well. The food, the girls, and atmosphere. If there is a Utopia I can't think of any better place than either a Roman night walk or a sunny day on a Tuscuny hill, maybe withe wine for the atmospere (I hate wine as a drink, though).
    Talking about Venezia, I was really luck because the "gondola" I was on had the singer and he sang "Santa Lucia" while we were on a boat. This created very romantic feel and my ex-girlfriend was very impressed.:). Although, I had to complain about the lack of shade in the city. I remember I had to search 30mins before finding the shade below the tree. The visit to glassmaker was very good as well, eventhough the highlight had to be a photo taken in "San Marco" plaza (I just made up the name because I can't remember exact name of the place:D). Ah, I also noticed that of the some of the floors had been submerged due to rising sea levels. Although very romantic and fascinating city, I would not like to live there. It would be very stressing with lack of available land.
    Talking about Tourism, I am a bit shamed that I can't enjoy the trip to foreign country as you do Glen even though I realize that being part of the locality is the purpose of trip rather than sight-seeing. After all, package trip, which I often use, is extremely comfortable, and because of that it becomes quite addictive.:)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    You know guys, I have to say I totally don't get the Venezia hype. I mean pardonnez moi it's famous and all that but what are the main talking points?

Ok the canals and the water. Interesting. :cool:
    The buildings? Apart from the San Marco church (let's just call it that, I can't remember the name either) and the area around that, the old palace etc , it's pretty dirty and ugly. Overall I cannot say it's a beautiful place, it's more like worn down.
    Anything else I missed? Oh I could mention that if you are staying at the camping just outside Mestre that has a boat connection to the city, you will encounter an astonishing amount of mosquitos. :eyepatch:

Btw. Thread split up and the last posts moved to new travel thread. :)

K10

Jul 12, 2002
    Talking about an italian wannabee. I must be the worst!
    Although I have very distant family that is italian, I just simply dream that I was italian. I look like one too :D

My friends call me italian and all. I just simply love Italy.

The atmosphere, the girls, the food, the football, the cars. the clothes (versace). What more can I ask for?

Forza Rome!

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by K10 ] ++
    Talking about an italian wannabee. I must be the worst!
    Although I have very distant family that is italian, I just simply dream that I was italian. I look like one too :D

My friends call me italian and all. I just simply love Italy.

The atmosphere, the girls, the food, the football, the cars. the clothes (versace). What more can I ask for?

Forza Rome!
    jajaj yeah me too!! italy rulz because juve is there!!, just kidding, italy is a extremely beautifull country.

my classmates call me "bambino", but i dont have a single piece of italian in me!! jajaja , just ironik.

Espectro

The Grimreaper
    Jul 12, 2002
    Well let me tell you Spain and Italy can be great, but if you want to have fun, REAL FUN! you have to go to Las Vegas!!
    Oh men!! I spend 1 week there, and it was the crazyest, funniest, wildest, non sleeping week of my hole life!:cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)