Trap believes in Bobo-DP-Totti (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Trap: This trio can go all the way
Wednesday 18 February, 2004

Giovanni Trapattoni claims that their performance against the Czech Republic proves Italy can win Euro 2004 with a star-studded strike force.

“I saw some great interplay between Christian Vieri, Alessandro Del Piero and Francesco Totti. This performance showed we have some wonderful stars to count on at the highest level.”

“It is clear that when these three play to the height of their abilities, we have a good chance of beating anybody.”

“There are no doubts that the first half side was very concentrated and deserved to take the lead,” noted the Coach after the 2-2 draw.

“It was a shame to concede that goal on a set-piece and we must see the replays on Vieri’s disallowed strike to check whether it was actually offside.”

Trap fielded an experimental line-up that included debutante Stefano Bettarini of Sampdoria in the left-back role.

“Bettarini had an excellent debut and I was very happy with his performance. It was a positive test for all the new faces.”

Simone Barone and Sergio Volpi also made their Azzurri bows, but a club vs. country row marred the lead-up to the game.

“Changes have to be balanced out and when you make that many substitutions it adjusts the whole outlook of the side,” conceded Trap, “but I had a duty to rest these players.”

Vieri opened the scoring in controversial fashion and fully admits it should probably have been disallowed.

“I did realise that the ricochet struck my arm,” confessed the Inter star, “but the referee didn’t spot it thankfully.”

“We had a great first half and my second goal probably should not have been disallowed, so it evens itself out.”

Substitute Antonio Di Natale netted in the final minutes after several months out of the international scene.

“I was obviously overjoyed to play in this Stadium and to score a goal was just the icing on the cake,” he smiled.

“What player wouldn’t give 100 per cent for the Italy side? If I am here then I must thank Empoli for giving me the opportunity to shine in the top flight.”

It was a particularly curious experience for Gianluigi Buffon, who came face to face with his Juventus teammate.

“It was a strange feeling to be playing against Pavel Nedved,” he admitted, “but clearly he is a fearsome opponent for a goalkeeper. It’s always better to have him on your side.”

Buffon also gave his view on the club vs. country row that saw Trap call just three players from each big side.

“It is our duty to give everything we have at both club and international level. We proved that if this team has the determination necessary then it can win against anyone.”

Buy on AliExpress.com

Sid

Nov 10, 2003
I was kinda hoping trapt used

-------------------Di Natale-----------------Pippo------------------

--------------------------------Del Piero----------------------------

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
heres how i see it

its either the trident of :

------------Vieri-----------

Del Piero---------Totti

or (if Vieri gets injured or something)

-----Del Piero-----XXXXXX------

--------------Totti-----------------

the spot on the left can be Di Vaio, Di Natale, Miccoli, Cassano or Corradi, Inzaghi etc (depending on who make the trip to Portugal)

Corradi can be used in Vieri's role too if theres no other alternative since he is one of the few power forwards in the Italian game.

Freddy

Feb 1, 2004
Bobo-DP-Totti is an excellent attacking formation...But isn't Vieri getting old !!!

I would rather see Montella or Pippo playing beside DP and Totti

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)