Transfer target:Riquelme? (1 Viewer)

slack

Dec 13, 2002
Riquelme doesn't have to fit the system. He's under consideration because he's likely to improve the defective system. If a player is good enough as an attacking focal point, why not? I don't understand the defensive argument - something is wrong if a team is clinging on to that little shred of defensive ability offered by an attacking player. That Totti-Roma free role, defensive back-tracking and pace analogy is interesting ... but sounds just a little farfetched.

If giving Riquelme a free role means restoring half our plug-gaps into real players, then by all means, give him that. Granted that Riquelme might not be half as flashy as Ronaldhino nor even a quarter of the **** that Totti / Cassano is (normally associated and unfortunately, accepted as baggage with 'talent') ... he's merely a humble team player, the kind that somehow fits Juventus.

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by slack ] ++
Riquelme doesn't have to fit the system. He's under consideration because he's likely to improve the defective system. If a player is good enough as an attacking focal point, why not? I don't understand the defensive argument - something is wrong if a team is clinging on to that little shred of defensive ability offered by an attacking player. That Totti-Roma free role, defensive back-tracking and pace analogy is interesting ... but sounds just a little farfetched.

If giving Riquelme a free role means restoring half our plug-gaps into real players, then by all means, give him that. Granted that Riquelme might not be half as flashy as Ronaldhino nor even a quarter of the **** that Totti / Cassano is (normally associated and unfortunately, accepted as baggage with 'talent') ... he's merely a humble team player, the kind that somehow fits Juventus.
Improve the defective system? That's laughable. How is the system we currently have defective? The only problem I see is that Nedved is beginning to show his age, and thus he must be replaced. Pizzaro, Rosicky, Kallstrom, or even Steed Marlbranque would be an excellent replacement for Nedved. Riquelme would be like going back the to Zidane era. I think that the sale of Zidane and our subsequent success proves that the current system is superior.

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
Oct 27, 2004
Pizarro or Rosicky. Please not Källström, he will not make us better, not yet...

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
++ [ originally posted by David Del Piero ] ++
Pizarro or Rosicky. Please not Källström, he will not make us better, not yet...
But he'll grow won't he? Just that IMO he's too slow.

Daddi

Oct 27, 2004
did anyone see the match today? That's what you get with too much Defence. Beautiful and really effective, yes? If we had someone good in the middle, for example Riquelme, I'm sure he would've been a huge impact in this boring, worthless game.

slack

Dec 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Ian ] ++
Improve the defective system? That's laughable. How is the system we currently have defective? The only problem I see is that Nedved is beginning to show his age, and thus he must be replaced. Pizzaro, Rosicky, Kallstrom, or even Steed Marlbranque would be an excellent replacement for Nedved. Riquelme would be like going back the to Zidane era. I think that the sale of Zidane and our subsequent success proves that the current system is superior.
Perhaps 3-4 seasons of watching a six-man defence does make it acceptable. Laughable indeed. Nedved being rubbish might have something to do with remisnicing days during his first 6mths in Juve under Lippi - shafted left in a 4-4-2 to pass off as some winger. Ditto Del Piero. Somebody realized that mistake and eventually restored him as a central attacking figure. Results came and the Czech proved a more decisive matchwinner than Zidane was. How dependent then, on that Nedved were Juve? At least as much if not more. The subsequent successes or more accurately, results, were incredibly laboured and not at all superior to the system before and with Zidane. Having seen much better stuff with arguably less resources, I happen to place an emphasis of how Juve goes about doing the job. There's always the teletext too.

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by slack ] ++
Perhaps 3-4 seasons of watching a six-man defence does make it acceptable. Laughable indeed. Nedved being rubbish might have something to do with remisnicing days during his first 6mths in Juve under Lippi - shafted left in a 4-4-2 to pass off as some winger. Ditto Del Piero. Somebody realized that mistake and eventually restored him as a central attacking figure. Results came and the Czech proved a more decisive matchwinner than Zidane was. How dependent then, on that Nedved were Juve? At least as much if not more. The subsequent successes or more accurately, results, were incredibly laboured and not at all superior to the system before and with Zidane. Having seen much better stuff with arguably less resources, I happen to place an emphasis of how Juve goes about doing the job. There's always the teletext too.
The point is that Nedved and Zidane have contrasting styles. Zidane requires the ball all the time, and he's got no pace. Nedved is all work, and doesn't require as many touches to be as effective. Riquelme would follow the Zidane mold, so what's the point in getting him? We've got other weapons on the field now (Camo, Zambrotta, Zlatan), so why take touches away from them in order to supply a playmaker of Riquelme's type? I'd much rather see a more team oriented style with a playmaker like Rosicky or Pizzaro. There's no right answer here, though. It's a classic debate between the continental style of a playmaker versus the english style of an attacking midfielder, or as I would prefer, the Dutch style of total football, where each member of the team is almost equal in attacking responsibility.

Daddi

Oct 27, 2004
-----------------Zlatan
-----------Mutu
Nedved---------------Marchionni
-------Rosicky-Emerson

Zambro-Cannavaro-Thuram-Zebina

---------------Buffon

eat this :D

Daddi

Oct 27, 2004
he can play there. He is good defence too and great offensive. Same with Pizarro.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
Riquelme is possibly the best assist man we could get.His vision and killer pass are simply amazing.

best proof of that would be Diego Forlan getting to net some 13 goals already this season,a small miracle that:D

Daddi

Oct 27, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Desmond ] ++
Riquelme is possibly the best assist man we could get.His vision and killer pass are simply amazing.

best proof of that would be Diego Forlan getting to net some 13 goals already this season,a small miracle that:D
yeah, Riquelme - Forlan might be the best duo of La Liga :)

slack

Dec 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Ian ] ++

The point is that Nedved and Zidane have contrasting styles. Zidane requires the ball all the time, and he's got no pace. Nedved is all work, and doesn't require as many touches to be as effective. Riquelme would follow the Zidane mold, so what's the point in getting him? We've got other weapons on the field now (Camo, Zambrotta, Zlatan), so why take touches away from them in order to supply a playmaker of Riquelme's type? I'd much rather see a more team oriented style with a playmaker like Rosicky or Pizzaro. There's no right answer here, though. It's a classic debate between the continental style of a playmaker versus the english style of an attacking midfielder, or as I would prefer, the Dutch style of total football, where each member of the team is almost equal in attacking responsibility.
I am aware of that. Pace? This has never been much of an issue for players who make the ball work for them. The combination of quickness in thought, technique and ball speed far surpasses that physical attribute. Juve, for some obscure reason, insists on doing it the other way round. Zidane, however good he may be, was still only a part of the previous system. We have never resorted to channeling everything through an individual during those days, despite us having some of the best ones. We were THE model of squad rotation back then - anybody who came in at any given moment slotted in seamlessly and even played above themselves. Our strength as a unit (which still characterizes recent teams) remains but the chemistry was never again found. In today's midfield, there are players with varying presence but none with authority (Deschamps) Maybe character is a problem as well. Basically, I struggle to find any other top team which leaves their attackers to fend for themselves the way Juve do for the past few years. In that sense, Nedved stands out as an automatic threat within a 25 yard radius around the opponents' goal. The sum of parts is very much greater than the whole, which brings me to Capello, the 'best' coach in the world ... my a**

Daddi

Oct 27, 2004
I would love to see Riquelme in Juventus. It is the best solution next to Ronaldinho..

Jul 28, 2002
i would prefer the total football route....get sneijder in :cool:

but that aint gunna happen.

Imo we merely need a box to box midifilder....like lamps and rosicky, with a quality left winger.

A single playmaker is a nice thing to have, but the more deadly teams,who play the more attractive football have more than one "play dictator".....

Milan...kaka, dhorasoo, Pirlo, Seedorf
Barca: Xavi, ronni, Deco
Real:zizou, raul, ronni etc etc etc
Arse: Henry, Pires, Ljunni, reyes, Bergy
Man Scum: Shcoles, giggs, Rooney, Ronni...

Good football comes from good teamwork....not just a playmaker like riquelme.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)