Torino Match Abandoned (1 Viewer)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
What is going on in Italian football just now. I can't remember a season with so much violence. We have now had three matches abandoned due to crowd trouble. It's so serious the Government have introduced a decree to halt the trouble. If the ultras of the various different clubs don't come to their senses I fear a government backlash against football.

What do you think Juventini?:confused:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
It's appaling and something should be done fast. When the "fans" start bringing teargas to the stadium and manage to enter with it, something is seriously wrong.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
I believe Italy's been hit by the same sort of violence Holland first saw two seasons ago but I hope I'm wrong.

The case in Holland was the following: A group of neo-nazis organised themselves and went to every match in a big stadium just to start fights. None of them were even football fans!

And so it happened that Ajax's matches would be disturbed by these hooligans singing "All Jews Should Be Gassed" and they would even make 'sissing' sounds.
In Eindhoven (traditionally, PSV employs quite a considerable number of Brazilians), they would make monkey sounds and in Rotterdam (a working class city) they would insult the people (peasants etc.) and start fights.

In The Hague, where I live, they occasionally tore down half the city and set buildings on fire.

The Dutch government decided to fight this by registering these hooligans and denying them access to stadiums for the rest of their lives. It seems to work for football but the violence is just spreading to other sectors of the society.

It's a very sick phenomenon and I truly hope a solution will be found!

OP
Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #5
    Did I hear right?
    Torino are banned from playing at home for 5 games?:eek:
    Now that is strong punishment. Where will they play these games?

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #6
    What about the Aston Villa-Birmingham game?:dazed:

So much for the Old Firm being the only derby with a nasty undercurrent in the UK:down:

What punishemnt for the Villa?:confused:

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    This is what I think. I think that:

1. Publicise rule that there will be random searches of people at stadiums, and anyone on whom weapons are found will be fined or jailed.

2. Enforce the rule. If ticket prices have to go up to fund this initiative, so be it.

People go to soccer games to watch a good team play good football, or to support their team. Any reason other than that is no good reason at all...

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #8
    You know, this already happens at Celtic games/most SPL matches infact.
    Usually a policeman/woman will be standing at the turnstiles as you enter. If you look dodgy your huckled and searched out of the line. If your zonked out of your head you get sent on your way home. You can be searched randomly using the no alcohol in the stadium rules. Most trouble takes place well away from stadiums in Scotland. It's unusual to see fighting inside although it does happen sometimes...can't remember when though...maybe Aberdeen-Rangers last year although it wasn't particulary serious compared to full scale battles we see in some matches? This was unusual though.

What happens were you watch your footie?

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++
    You know, this already happens at Celtic games/most SPL matches infact.
    Usually a policeman/woman will be standing at the turnstiles as you enter. If you look dodgy your huckled and searched out of the line. If your zonked out of your head you get sent on your way home. You can be searched randomly using the no alcohol in the stadium rules. Most trouble takes place well away from stadiums in Scotland. It's unusual to see fighting inside although it does happen sometimes...can't remember when though...maybe Aberdeen-Rangers last year although it wasn't particulary serious compared to full scale battles we see in some matches? This was unusual though.

What happens were you watch your footie?
    I've seen a lot of games lie and I've only been in one fight. That was at the WC in '98, there were a bunch of fans from one team (don't remember which leaving and for some reason they all ran into fans of the other team and a huge scrum broke out. The sensible people ran away, but the hooligans were soon coralled and everything turned out okay. I don't think that there is anything wrong with a good rumble once in a while but rioting in the stands is just wrong. Why destroy the game. Every one should have come ot watch, not fight.

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    Roverbhoy, over here, the matches are generally decent- there is very little atmosphere- people are generally energetic, but often people can spend a whole 15 minutes with their BBQ kits and not even notice that a goal has been scored...no fanaticism- ie fans. lots of people running around with chicago fire jerseys, etc, but the MLS is not nearly as involving as the Serie A for example.

Hooliganism? not much, but i remember a costa rica-us match where people started throwing stuff on the pitch. havent seen much more tho...

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #11
    I've noticed this on the American Football, hockey, basketball, etc that we get here. There is no need for segregation, massive police presence, CCTV cameras everywhere. Everthing is in harmony and balance. If only things were like that here..........it would be boring hehe:D

I have however also seen some of these "Worlds Worst Riots 1,2,3,etc" shows with super cop Sherif John Bonnel . They have shown a lot of college football matches which have resulted in "Major Civil Disorder Which Stresses Law Enforcement Officers To The Limit" after the home team have actually won. Some of these punch ups are pretty hectic man...overturned Caddies, burned out Chevies et al.:fero:

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by lacrease ] ++
    This is what I think. I think that:

1. Publicise rule that there will be random searches of people at stadiums, and anyone on whom weapons are found will be fined or jailed.

2. Enforce the rule. If ticket prices have to go up to fund this initiative, so be it.

People go to soccer games to watch a good team play good football, or to support their team. Any reason other than that is no good reason at all...
    There already is random searches at serie a matches.
    Dont think ive ever been to one where people havent been searched.
    Doesnt make any difference though.
    Italy jus isnt a nice place to watch football at the moment.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    I believe Italy's been hit by the same sort of violence Holland first saw two seasons ago but I hope I'm wrong.

The case in Holland was the following: A group of neo-nazis organised themselves and went to every match in a big stadium just to start fights. None of them were even football fans!

And so it happened that Ajax's matches would be disturbed by these hooligans singing "All Jews Should Be Gassed" and they would even make 'sissing' sounds....
    It seems that some Chelsea 'fans' sing something similar regularly at Tottenham matches - no doubt a related group.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)