TOP 20 Central Defenders (1 Viewer)

Evelyn8

Jul 23, 2002
As I see our midfield as one of the strongest in the world

with good versatility and unlimited options.......

I don't indentify that as a problem but rather the Central Defense
I mean Ferrara and Iuliano aren't exactly top20 nowadays so I started to think of a top 20 and made one.

1. Rio Ferdinand (MAn U)
promising defender that has since his time in Leeds only gone from better to best. Great in the WC and still extremley cosistant.
2. Lucio (B Leverkusen)
Extremeley good at everything both in attack and defending. Has no real flaws apart from overconfidence in some situation which lead to devasting mistakes making him incosistant.
3. Allesandro Nesta (Milan)
formiddale defender. Vey Gracious, very complete and very cosistant. Doesn't like to help up much in attack.
4. Christian Chivu (Ajax)
Extremley versatile a lot like a European Lucio with less technique and less overconfidence but with better cosistancy.
5. Edmilson (Lyon)
Brazilian world champion very cosistant good at everything versatile.
6. Walter Samuel (Roma)
Expert to Mark and eliminate his man. Not really helping out in the build up.
7. Fabio Cannavaro (INter)
not cosistant last season, not cosistant in world cup not cosistant in INter. the best in the world at tackling.
8. Paolo Montero (Juventus)
Fierce sharp defender. Fast good sense of passing not so good with the ball at his feet.
9. Roberto Ayala (Valencia)
can be used in many roles in defense a mix between Montero and Cannavaro as a player.
10. Jap Staam
11. Sol Campbell
12. Matrix Materazzi
13. Sebastian Kehl
14. Ivan Helguera
15. Christian Worns
16. Sami Hyppia
17. Robert Kovac
18. Eric Addo
19. Nourredine Naybet
20. Jens Novotny and Alpay

Clearly we Must invest in anothe Central Defender since we have almost alwasy had two around top20 now we only have one.
Ofcourse Liliam would of made this list had he be playing central defense but he has hardly done this anything for club or nation. And when he did it for France it was with bad results.
and if Thuram would of been included I would of had to include Cordoba as well.
But My point remians Montero needs a partner since
Thuram is not playing where we intended him to play we still need to partner Paolo with someone.

Maybe someone from this list would suit him.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
ï don't agree very much with this list, but thats good, it's good to have something to discuss. i'm too tired to do it now, but i'll be back stronger

SpeD

Jul 14, 2002
neither....

how bout the likes of mexes and hoftland

i would replace materazzi, worns and kovac or alpay (he just had a good wc, he can even get a transfer from aston)

anyway, montero said hes been in contact with his old club penerol nad he's most likely to leave end of this season, meaning the need for TWO quality central defeders :dazed:

mexes - - - chivu :D

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
Helguera at #14? I think he should be rated much higher than that :D So should Hyypia imo...:D

And I wouldn't put Materazzi even in top 20...:undecide:

~Sarah

Almajhool

Sep 8, 2002
neither do i ...

i think the top ten are ...

1 Nesta

2 Canavaro

3 Samuel

4 Ferdinand

5 Montero

6 Ayala

7 Naybet

8 Helguera

9 mexes

10 Lucio

OP

Evelyn8

Jul 23, 2002
  • Thread Starter #6
    ++ [ originally posted by GonJ ] ++
    neither....

how bout the likes of mexes and hoftland

i would replace materazzi, worns and kovac or alpay (he just had a good wc, he can even get a transfer from aston)

anyway, montero said hes been in contact with his old club penerol nad he's most likely to leave end of this season, meaning the need for TWO quality central defeders :dazed:

mexes - - - chivu :D
    well saying Mexes is giving the new generation too much credit
    I mean The guy is not cosistant enough and If you yet have to replace the likes of Leboeuf (way past his peak) oyu can not be top 20.

As Hofland I can only assume you mean the PSV young promising defender as I said he is promising. But he has got too many injuries and has yet a lot to proove when he will be prioratized to F De Boer in the Dutch NT only then can he get on the list.....

Materazzi is Italy's third best central defender and he is fierce and good.

Worns had an excellent season at Borrusia guiding them to Bundesliga gold and UEFA cup final.
    He was their best man to man defender.

Robert Kovac is what giants Bayern are building their defensive stab around. He is very cosistant good physically and mentally. Very underrated here on this forum probably.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Give me Chivu over Rio any day, the man is brilliant! :strong:

And Edmilson above Canna? Oh dear I am in doubt about that one...

OP

Evelyn8

Jul 23, 2002
  • Thread Starter #8
    ++ [ originally posted by Almajhool ] ++
    neither do i ...

i think the top ten are ...

1 Nesta

2 Canavaro

3 Samuel

4 Ferdinand

5 Montero

6 Ayala

7 Naybet

8 Helguera

9 mexes

10 Lucio
    First of all its crazy and pro-Italian to think that Cannavaro is the second greatest center back in the world. He is nowhere near Rio's Cosistancy. Also Nesta has been unstable last season and in his new club.
    While Rio has been the exception to the rule (usually it takes a while before a defender settles) And Settled in PErfectly.

Mexes again for potenial he is top10 no doubt
    But he has yet to replace Leboeuf and Desailly who would hardly make my top40. Given the current situation.

The biggest disappointments IMO are
    Cufre and Bermudez who before coming to Europe both were top20 material but now have seriously faded.....

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by Evelyn8 ] ++
    The biggest disappointments IMO are
    Cufre and Bermudez who before coming to Europe both were top20 material but now have seriously faded.....
    As you said, it takes a while to settle :)

OP

Evelyn8

Jul 23, 2002
  • Thread Starter #10
    As yuo said Alex

I try to do is list on performance over the last year and be very objective. (hence not down talking the EPL players)

Chivu might have more potenial and in 6months he might be the top performer and number one on the list

But right now I just feel Rio is one notch better.....

Edmilson is the best defender in the championat for the past two seasons.
    He has one a WC and was the perfect complement to Lucio and Roque at the back line.....

Lucio and Edmilson are why IMO Brazil didn't do better in 98.

hussain1982

Aug 22, 2002
    1. Rio Ferdinand (MAn U)
    promising defender that has since his time in Leeds only gone from better to best. Great in the WC and still extremley cosistant.

formiddale defender. Vey Gracious, very complete and very cosistant. Doesn't like

not cosistant last season, not cosistant in world cup not cosistant in INter. the best in the world at tackling.

no no no no no no no no

Allesandro Nesta (Milan) is no 1 in the world(not Rio Ferdinand) (MAn U)

Fabio Cannavaro (INter) is no 2

no 3 ???????????????????????????????????/

OP

Evelyn8

Jul 23, 2002
  • Thread Starter #12
    ++ [ originally posted by hussain1982 ] ++
    1. Rio Ferdinand (MAn U)

formiddale defender. Vey Gracious, very complete and very cosistant. Doesn't like

no no no no no no no no

Allesandro Nesta (Milan) is no 1 in the world(not Rio Ferdinand) (MAn U)

Fabio Cannavaro (INter) is no 2

no 3 ???????????????????????????????????/
    Cannavaro has been very incosistant
    it is crazy and very bias Italian saying he is no2.

Manutd.Visitor

Aug 30, 2002
    since most of the best defenders have already been mentioned, here's some others in the EPL who are on their way up:

Cygan - Arsenal
    Woodgate - Leeds
    Terry - Chelsea
    Gallas - Chelsea
    King - Tottenham
    O'shea - ManU

OP

Evelyn8

Jul 23, 2002
  • Thread Starter #14
    how do I put in pictures in my post I would like to include the pictures of the Top 10 so it would make the post a bit more neat and fresh??

hussain1982

Aug 22, 2002
    Cannavaro has been very incosistant
    it is crazy and very bias Italian saying he is no2.

Will I am not italian but I still say Cannavaro is no2 (see world cup 1998 and 2002) and(euro 2000) and you will see why I put him no 2

And u will see what different he will make to inter defense

SpeD

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Evelyn8 ] ++

well saying Mexes is giving the new generation too much credit
    I mean The guy is not cosistant enough and If you yet have to replace the likes of Leboeuf (way past his peak) oyu can not be top 20.

As Hofland I can only assume you mean the PSV young promising defender as I said he is promising. But he has got too many injuries and has yet a lot to proove when he will be prioratized to F De Boer in the Dutch NT only then can he get on the list.....

Materazzi is Italy's third best central defender and he is fierce and good.

Worns had an excellent season at Borrusia guiding them to Bundesliga gold and UEFA cup final.
    He was their best man to man defender.

Robert Kovac is what giants Bayern are building their defensive stab around. He is very cosistant good physically and mentally. Very underrated here on this forum probably.
    MEXES not playing for the national team yet and lebouf still in the national team is due to poor team managment by lemerre, the first thing the new french coach has done is picked MEXES.

hoftland i duno and i just heard good thing about so i'll take u're word of it.

Materazzi: from his performance at the WC i doubt he deserves to be in the top 20, and i'm sure iuliano deserves to be #3 for italy
    not materazzi (no juve bias)

Jul 12, 2002
    I just have two things:

Jaap Stam is better than Edmilson.

Frank De Boer should be in any top 20 list.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Well I am not a huge fan of defenders and discussing them but Rio is not the best central defender in the world and its not entirely true to say he has sucessfully stepped into Man united without probs, I mean the amount of times he was twisted and turned against Bayer who do not have great strikers, was alarming

Lucio? what are you kidding? He is good but better than Nesta or Cannavaro, did you not see the howler against England

Its not a central defender's duty to be a playmaker, it is a sweeper who does that ,its his duty to be able to defend and you do not find better than Cannavaro and Nesta to say canna was inconsistent at the wc is not true as he played very well, inconsistent at Inter? He is not a right back for crying out loud

Why no Jens Nowotny as he is excellent and better than a lot on your top 20

Henchoz as well deserves a mention even if i cannot stand the guy's football but he does his job very well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)