Tomáš Ujfaluši (1 Viewer)

Jan 30, 2009
Mellberg was a fine signing. Try to be less of an ignorant, opportunistic, imbecilic turncoat with the memory of a goldfish and start watching some football. One supposed "mistake" does not automatically erase an extremely solid first season in Italy. My God, some people on this forum pisses me off.
What a stupid thing to diss Mellberg the way some members do.
Well said, apart from sunday's game Melberg imo has had a good season and in some games he even out played Chiellini

Buy on AliExpress.com

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
As some of you have said, this smacks of another Mellberg. Why can't we grab someone promising, like a commanding centre half from Serie B or aim to give Ariuado and Criscito a fair stab at the spot alongside Chiellini***
Exactly!:malt:

Enoran

Nov 3, 2007
Why would you look at Ujfaluši being a replacement for either of them?
I was implying that if Ujfaluši isn't a far better replacement for Mellberg (which is the truth), take it as a replacement for Andrade and Knezivic as both are not likely to feature for Juve anymore.

In short, his capture will no doubt be an injection of quality to the defense.

SoulSiick

Schizoid Man
Oct 16, 2007
PRAGUE (AFP) - Czech football was left reeling on Wednesday after the sacking not only of under-performing coach Petr Rada but also six senior players for allegedly cavorting with prostitutes after a World Cup qualifier last week.

Photographs of the players in company with several girls were published in two Czech tabloids after the Czech Republic's 2-1 home loss to Slovakia on April 1.

The scandal added to an upset caused by a lacklustre 0-0 away draw with Slovenia and the loss to the Slovaks, after which Rada fell out of favour with both media and fans.

The association, which fired the entire national team management, has not named a replacement for the 50-year-old Rada, who has won only two out of eight games since replacing Karel Bruckner after Euro 2008.

It said it might know more after the next meeting on April 28.

The sacked players are Atletico Madrid defender Tomas Ujfalusi, Galatasaray striker Milan Baros, West Ham defender Radoslav Kovac, Frankfurt striker Martin Fenin, Reading midfielder Marek Matejovsky and Sochaux striker Vaclav Sverkos.

The decision does not necessarily mean a lifetime ban for the players—it will be up to the new coach to decide on their nomination in the future, the association said.

But Ujfalusi, who replaced injured Arsenal midfielder Tomas Rosicky as the Czech Republic captain, is unlikely to reappear after he said late on Tuesday he would end his international career over the scandal.

The 31-year-old said in a statement from his agent on the CTK news agency: "I give up playing for the national team based on the current situation in the Czech Football Association and in Czech media.

"It is the result of the situation after the latest qualifying matches," said Ujfalusi, who scored two goals in 78 matches for the national team and appeared at the 2004 and 2008 European championships and at the 2006 World Cup.

Last week's loss to Slovakia all but doused Czech hopes of topping Group Three of the 2010 World Cup qualification.

The team, fourth in its group and trailing leaders Northern Ireland by five points and Slovakia by four, is next facing Slovakia in Bratislava on September 5 in the qualification.

Early into the association meeting on Wednesday, former Manchester United, Benfica and Lazio winger Karel Poborsky stepped down as the team's technical director.

He told journalists he was "enraged by the (players') party as well."

"And captain Ujfalusi's decision to end his international career is unfortunate," Poborsky added.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
No doubt he is a good player, but I'm not sure he is the best option for us right now.

And before folk bang on about it, we couldn't sign him last summer. We supposedly spoke to him, but he wanted to try playing in a different league.

Mar 30, 2006
No doubt he is a good player, but I'm not sure he is the best option for us right now.

And before folk bang on about it, we couldn't sign him last summer. We supposedly spoke to him, but he wanted to try playing in a different league.
I dont want him. He is old and has played miserably in Spain. We have Leggro and Mellbergo to be our experienced CBs. We need a young CB who is world class to go with Chiellini.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Mellberg was a fine signing. Try to be less of an ignorant, opportunistic, imbecilic turncoat with the memory of a goldfish and start watching some football. One supposed "mistake" does not automatically erase an extremely solid first season in Italy. My God, some people on this forum pisses me off.

As for Ujfalusi it better not happen and it's not gonna. What are your sources anyway?
I was against Mellberg being our "premier" defensive signing last summer and I'm still against it today.

He's just not as solid as people make him out to be.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I was against Mellberg being our "premier" defensive signing last summer and I'm still against it today.

He's just not as solid as people make him out to be.
I don't think anybody ever made him out to be solid. I mean, being something of a legend at Aston Villa should tell you something right there.

He was brought in as spackle: some experience and a cheap transfer fee to patch a hole. But he's always been a patch and nothing more.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
We should have used Legro as a spackle and buy a proper CB reliable starter to replace the promise Andrade failed to deliver. But our board made the grave mistake and added one more quick fix to this very weak team and reallocate funds and focus to the other two lines.
This is a mistake we shouldnt repeat for the third consecutive time this season...

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
Anyway, Mellberg was brought in as cover for Legro-Chiellini, and also to fill in at RB if Zebina and Grygera both went missing. I think any sane member here will agree that he has not been catastrophic the way some of these guys make it out to be. Far from it actually.

I do agree that he shouldn't have been our main signing for defence. We needed and still need someone a bit younger that can go directly into the starting eleven and partner Chiellini for years to come. Legro and Mellberg are perfectly fine backups though, even if we are aiming to win the Scudetto. Knezevic was the bullshit signing.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I would much rather risk no replacement with a solid starter than to assemble a team out of mismatched, cheaper parts that fill holes.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
Ujfalusi has been horrible this season, but he was excellent last season. I'm split on this 'potential' signing. He makes a better RB than Grygera and better CB than Mellberg and possibly Legro too(in his Fiorentina form for sure).

icεmαή;1948915 said:
Chiellini isn't exactly a champion... yet...
Chiellini isn't a champion yet.
Wise words.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
Ujfalusi has been horrible this season, but he was excellent last season. I'm split on this 'potential' signing. He makes a better RB than Grygera and better CB than Mellberg and possibly Legro too(in his Fiorentina form for sure)..
Chiellini,ferdinand,carvalho.....would ALL struggle to hold together that atletico defense

pierrelb

May 9, 2008
I really don't care about how good Ujfalusi is. He's about the same age as mellberg and legro, and i'd say about the same in terms of quality...so he'd add nothing to the team. It's clearly needed that we need someone with some promise. I'd say buy someone, but I also wouldn't mind if the board said they plan on sticking with our youth players and went with ariaudo or got back criscito as our 4th CB......and sold knezevic.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
We need defenders for the future. Not players who will be around for a season or two and then retire.

Santacroce and Criscito are two players i would like to see next season.

No more Zebina or Andrade. Legro and Mellberg are good cover as is Grygera who can play both right back and left back if we are missing players.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)