This is mostly for Andy... Whatever... (1 Viewer)

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
Adu, 15, is spotted drinking beer at Maryland keg parties.

By Gary Davidson
SoccerTimes

(Tuesday, September 21, 2004) -- Apparently Sierra Mist is not all Freddy Adu is drinking these days.

The 15-year-old American soccer sensation, who has million-dollar sponsorship deals with Pepsico, the maker of Sierra Mist, Campbell's Soups and Nike, not to mention a six-year $3 million contract to play for Major League Soccer's D.C. United, was spotted earlier this month drinking beer at several University of Maryland keg parties, according to the lead story today in the Diamondback, the school's student daily newspaper.

"He was drinking beer just like everyone else was," said freshman Richard Crabbe in the Diamondback story. "They had a keg and he had a red cup. He was pretty buzzed. . . He was having fun like anyone would at a college party."

With the MLS publicity blitz following his signing, Adu finds himself treated as a celebrity almost everywhere he goes and apparently that was also the case when he ventured to College Park on September 11. He had been spotted on campus on other occasions over the the summer, the Diamondback said.

And when one of the three parties he reportedly visited September 11 was visited by police, students came to Adu's aid to keep him from getting caught and being issued a citation for underage drinking.

"The cops came and we were like, 'Get Freddy Adu out of here,' and we hopped the fence with him," freshman Rob Fitzgerald told the Diamondback.

In the state of Maryland, a civil citation can be issued for persons under the age of 21 found drinking any form of alcohol. The maximum penalty is a $500 fine and\or 30 days in jail. With the state's drinking age at 21, a large number of the university's undergraduates and campus residents cannot drink legally.

Student Dan Fitzpatrick told the Diamondback that Adu appeared to be stumbling when he left a party held by the Maryland women's lacrosse team. "I'm 100 percent sure he was drinking," Fitzpatrick said. "He was holding onto someone while he was walking in the street."

While a 15-year-old drinking beer is not necessarily an unusual thing, when a teenager considered by some to be the savior of American soccer is doing it, it causes considerable angst among the adults positioned to maximize revenue from his image.

A Major League Soccer spokesperson said, "No comment," referring SoccerTimes to D.C. United. MLS senior director of communications Trey Fitz-Gerald, however, told the Diamondback, "Freddy always handles himself as a fine, upstanding young man, so we aren't overly concerned with any impropriety."

Sports Net LLC, the agency which represents Adu, also said, "No comment."

"We're disappointed that the Diamondback chose to publish a story based solely on speculation and assumptions and give little credence to the few details reported in the story," Doug Hicks, D.C. United vice president for communications, said in an e-mail to SoccerTimes. "Regardless, we've spoken with Freddy about the importance of whom he associates with, where he spends his free time and to realize that he may often find himself in situations where those around him are not interested in what is best for him. In addition to his exceptional soccer ability, Freddy remains an affable, yet humble young man who was raised very well by his mother. We trust that this experience will serve as a valuable learning experience for Freddy as he continues to grow and mature."

Diamondback editor-in-chief Jonathan Cribbs said his newspaper's story was thoroughly reported. "I definitely stand behind our story," he said. "We made every attempt to get in touch with Mr. Adu, but the team (United) didn't seem to want us to talk to him. The facts in the story were confirmed by lots of people. . . I think our reporting on the story was solid. It was certainly a story that was widely read."

D.C. United's Freddy Adu (center) with Adrienne Morris (left) and Raquel Lugo, freshmen he met at a University of Maryland party.
-- Diamondback photo --

:shocked::eek:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
Does anyone think that Adu can make 'Soccer' in American big? And just a though, dont know if it is different in the States, but at 15 he CANT sign a professional contact, meaning someone can pick him up for nothing, although DC United, would get one-hell of a compensation packet!

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
I certainly hope not! Think of all the things the Americans would do to the sport. As soon as "soccer" gets big in the US they will start to change the rules, Americans always want to be in charge.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Mr. Gol ] ++
I certainly hope not! Think of all the things the Americans would do to the sport. As soon as "soccer" gets big in the US they will start to change the rules, Americans always want to be in charge.
They might considerably slow it down too :D

This Adu guy is doing exactly the same as all other freshmen do.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
America is crazy yesterday i was taken to the infirmary by a policeman in a policecar because I was drunk
those people are crazy my advice to Adu is to keep drnking

OP
Erkka

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
  • Thread Starter #7
    ++ [ originally posted by fabiana ] ++
    America is crazy yesterday i was taken to the infirmary by a policeman in a policecar because I was drunk
    those people are crazy my advice to Adu is to keep drnking
    :LOL: Drunk, eh... :D

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Oh, please enlighten me as to how us Americans would change the sport if it got big in this country, as you say. Stop me if I'm wrong, but we have the MLS that's been around for 10 years now, and the NASL before that, and they follow/followed FIFA rules. Not to mention the US National team, which has been in existence for over 60 years, that also follow FIFA guidelines.

Please, I'm curious.

And Elnur, you, living in this country should know better than anyone that we love high-scoring affairs, so there would be no need to slow down the game.

Fred, he will be a hell of a player someday. He still has a ways to go. He was used mainly as a substitute for DC United, and has 4 goals averaging about 45 minutes a game. Not bad considering he's 5 years younger than the next youngest player on the team.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Sergio ] ++
    Oh, please enlighten me as to how us Americans would change the sport if it got big in this country, as you say. Stop me if I'm wrong, but we have the MLS that's been around for 10 years now, and the NASL before that, and they follow/followed FIFA rules. Not to mention the US National team, which has been in existence for over 60 years, that also follow FIFA guidelines.
    Didn't the MLS introduce the system deciding draw matches with hockey-style penalties? I agree with you, but I'm just wondering. I read that in a footie magazine as a kid when the MLS first started, and remember being very fascinated by it.

K10

Jul 12, 2002
    Firstly, and more importantly, Fabiana, you were arrested for alcohol consumption? Shit, good thing they never caught me then. :eek:

Anyway, Adu is in University already? At the age of 15?

K10

Jul 12, 2002
    And another thing, if they want to keep Adu as a role model for the kids, why put this piece of news in the news?

The Pado

Filthy Gobbo
    Jul 12, 2002

JACKASS

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Torkel ] ++

Didn't the MLS introduce the system deciding draw matches with hockey-style penalties? I agree with you, but I'm just wondering. I read that in a footie magazine as a kid when the MLS first started, and remember being very fascinated by it.

Not anymore. They tried it for the first season, because we American fans hate draws, but they wanted to comply with FIFA rules, so they got rid of it. Year by year, the interest and the fan base for MLS is slowly starting to increase.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Padovano ] ++

The Americans did very well at the last World Cup. Better than England, Italy, Portugal, and other "powers".
    Not only that, but the core of the team is very young Howard, Donovan, Beasley) and they have a lot of international caps between them at such a young age.

Donovan for example, at the age of 22, has over 50 caps

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    I told this kid when I played against him "don't do anything stupid".

What does he do? Something stupid.

I don't know how valid this source is, as a student newspaper can make up whatever the hell they want to. If Freddy actually was drinking, which it does seem so, he certainly was overcome by "peer pressure". Such a stupid decision to even be there at the friggin parties.

I expected better out of this kid, as he was a good sport on the pitch, and off. During the match when we played him, I think my friend Aziz said something like "hey this guy deserves a cold one for his performance". Didn't think Freddy would take it to heart. :groan:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Yeah thats it. You got it. Yeah once soccer gets big here we'll make sure the goals get smaller, the fields get bigger, and that the use of hands will be considered.

Wait, not considered, fully implemented into soccer. In this new sport you'll be able to pick the ball up with your hands, and take an effort on goal. On top of that, a minute of stoppage will be made every five minutes, just to give the teams a chance to get their thoughts together in a huddle.

Those changes will be made once soccer gets "big" in the USA. :rolleyes:

Dumbass :groan:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)