The UEFA Cup Thread (2 Viewers)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
Copied from the BBC's web site.
What do you think?

The arrogance of the English contingent on this page is very disappointing, but not a bit surprising.

I'm a Celtic fan, and I firmly believe we will beat Blackburn over two legs. In Martin O'Neill we have a manager is far superior to Graeme Souness, and a team that will relish the opportunity to prove people like Bob from England (below) wrong.

Duff and Dunn aside, Blackburn are average, and if Celtic played in England they would finish above them every season. Rovers will no doubt be tough to break down, but Larsson, Thompson and Petrov will find a way through.
Tony, Welwyn Garden City

Barney (below), you point out that Lambert is a Champions League winner. You have conveniently forgotten that so are Yorke, Cole and Berg. Blackburn to win easily mate.
Andrew, England

I am astounded at the stupidity of the Scottish contingent on this website. Comments like "Blackburn had better play out of their skins"...This is the same Celtic team that lost to the mighty Basle, correct?

While I agree Blackburn are not the best team in the Premiership, thay are far too good for Celtic. Draw at Celtic Park, a hammering for Celtic at Ewood Park.
Alex, UK

Champions of a footballing backwater against a team that wins at Highbury? I wonder!

Bob, England
I don't think this game is as clear cut as people are making out. I think it will be tight. After Blackburn's superb win at the weekend, confidence will be high. I think Blackburn will sneak it.
Paul, England

Don't make me laugh, my sides are hurting. You Scots don't honestly believe that a team from the SPL has any chance against any team from the mighty English Premier League do you? Blackburn all the way - I predict a 3-1 win.
Simon, England

Blackburn will win at Parkhead and the tie will be over. Celtic do not have enough experience to deal with the likes of Duff, Cole and Tugay.
Stuart Mann, Scotland

Champions of a footballing backwater against a team that wins at Highbury? I wonder!
Bob, England

Thursday's match will be decisive. If Rovers can come away with a score draw or better they've every chance of going through. I totally disagree with those from Burnley who say it will be a walkover. English pride will triumph over the best Scotland has to offer!
Linsey, Blackburner in the south

When Celtic get into their stride they are frighteningly good. They can score goals from everywhere and they have enough class to get past Blackburn. I think they can win down there as well.
Craig, Scotland

If the Celtic fans get right behind the team on Thursday Blackburn have no chance. So come on Bhoys and Ghirls, get the party started at Parkhead and we could be off to Italy in the next round.
Calum, Scotland

To say that Celtic will roll over Blackburn is astounding. While I agree Blackburn are not the best team in the Premiership, they are far too good for Celtic. Live with it Celtic Fans - you are the losers, along with Scottish football.
Alex, UK

Celtic will breeze past Rovers

Michael Salt, England
The SPL is so uncompetitive at the moment that I really think Celtic will struggle against a resilient team like Blackburn. Larsson or no Larsson, one player doesn't make a team - Celtic will be lucky to get past this one intact methinks!
Matt, Scotland

I think that Blackburn are slightly the better team, but when English and Scottish clubs meet in these competitions the Scots always seem to be able to get fired up more.

Larsson is class, but Celtic don't score too many from midfield so Blackburn need to take care of him. Celtic to go through - just - but not because they are any better than Blackburn. This from an impartial Englishman living in Scotland!
Mike, Scotland

Celtic will breeze past Rovers. I saw Celtic at the weekend and they were playing very fast flowing football against one of the best teams in the UK. Blackburn have no chance.
Michael Salt, England

As a Rangers supporter I would like nothing better to see Celtic go out to one of Souness' teams. Unfortunately they will be far too strong for the at best 'average' Blackburn.
Alan, Scotland

In response to some misguided comments about Blackburn's superior team and Celtic's 'overweight defence and midfield', who are you guys kidding? Celtic have one of the strongest, fittest and fastest teams in Britain.

Blackburn will be destroyed, and there is nothing Yorke, Cole (who will probably be injured anyway), Duff, Dunn or Thompson can do about it. Agathe, Thompson, Petrov, Lambert (a Champions League winner), Valgaeren, Larsson, Sutton, Lennon and Maloney will run over the top of what is a very average Blackburn team. I go for six-nil on aggregate!
Barney McDaid, Scotland

The England/Scotland Factor will inevitably kick in and make it a close game

Jemarah, England
Any team captained by Gary Flitcroft is obviously mediocre. Who would you prefer? Balde or Berg? Lambert or Tugay? Larsson or Yorke? Souness or O'Neill? 20,000 fans at Ewood or 60,000 in Paradise? Come on Blackburn - let common sense prevail, and don't even turn up.
Greg, Scotland

As a Celtic supporter for the last 40 years, I have always enjoyed our encounters with English teams. They are normally close over two legs, and despite all the claims before the contests by English patriots, Celtic have a good record. They are the slight favourites, but in football anything can happen on the night.
Richard, Denmark

As a Rangers fan, the answer is simple: Celtic will stroll past Blackburn, proving that many of the lower Premiership teams are vastly overrated.
Ross, Scotland

Celtic should comfortably win this one with Chris Sutton out to impress his old team. The midfield trio of Lambert, Lennon and Petrov should control the game right from the off.
P Brady, Scotland

If this Blackburn team were from anywhere but England, they would comfortably beat Celtic. But the England/Scotland Factor will inevitably kick in and make it a close game. I still expect Blackburn to win however. If Scots regard friendlies as a guide to form, the are sorely misguided. Oh dear.
Jemarah, England

Regardless of the outcome, Battle of Britain matches are always great entertainment. Remember the Rangers/Leeds games in the early 90s?
Allen McLaughlin, Glasgow

Celtic's destruction of Blackburn Rovers will be as swift as it is easy

Stephen McGuckin, Korea
I think that Blackburn will have to much for Celtic. With Duff, Dunn, Thompson, Cole, Yorke and Matt Jansen back, they should rip Celtic's defence apart. However, with Blackburn's ageing defence, they may struggle with Henrik Larsson.
Gaz, England

Celtic have a poor away record in Europe but at home under MON they have had some pretty impressive results. We have beaten Valencia, Juventus, Porto, Rosenberg, Ajax, Basel and so I am confident we can beat Blackburn Rovers! Away is a different story and it will be tight on aggregate.
Andrew, Scotland

The Old Firm clash on Sunday was great to watch but you cannot play this way against a decent Premiership side. This match will be a good indicator to see if Celtic or Rangers could really cope in the Premiership.
Terry, England

Celtic's destruction of Blackburn Rovers will be as swift as it is easy. Blackburn, a mid-table team in a ridiculously over-rated English league, will be crushed by the sheer passion of a Celtic side at Parkhead.

Mr Souness will indeed require a handkerchief, after the Bhoys in green give him a proper spanking in Paradise.
Stephen McGuckin, Korea

I don't mean to offend anyone, but Scottish football is a joke. One of the top two in Scotland will find it very tough against a middle of the table Premiership side. I expect Blackburn to win a tight game, but if it was Arsenal, Liverpool or Man U against Celtic I'd expect an easy win for the English sides.
Sanj, UK

Celtic may well sneak it as they have class players in every area

Rob, England
If Blackburn get the ball on the ground and pass it they will tear Celtic apart. Celtic's defence and midfield are one-paced and overweight. All of their talent is in their forward line, which won't do much good when they need to defend against Dunn, Duff, Yorke and Cole.
John, USA

It'll do Celtic some good to play Premier League opposition for a change. Playing non-league football (with the exception of Rangers) week in, week out can't do them any good, can it?

I mean, is it any wonder why Scottish teams fall flat on their backsides every year in Europe? The Scots will probably win but they won't win the Uefa Cup, you can bet your life on it!
Jim McTaggart, Co Dublin

I'm a Rangers fan, but I hope that Celtic triumph in this tie. No matter the result though, it shouldn't be used as an indicator between the standards of the two leagues - any team can beat any other in a cup tie and Celtic have already shown over the past season (in some pretty serious 'friendlies') that they can compete with the likes of Man Utd, Leeds and Spurs.
Grant, Aberdeen, Scotland

It should be a great game. But I think Celtic may well sneak it as they have class players in every area. I'll be supporting Blackburn on the night as they are English and I know how much the Scots hate us!
Rob, England

At last Martin O'Neill gets the chance to play an English team in a competitive match. Hopefully after this one, people will stop saying we only beat English teams because they are friendly games.

It will be another embarrassment for the jokers in blue and white

Paul, Burnley
If the second leg was at Parkhead I would say we would definitely go through, but now we have to ensure we take a decent lead to Ewood Park. Celtic should still be too strong though, especially at Celtic Park, where we've taken some very big scalps recently. Should be two great games though.
Joe T, Scotland

On paper Blackburn seem to have the stronger side with players like Cole, Yorke, Duff, Dunn. But you've got to fancy Celtic winning the first leg with their fanatical support at Parkhead.

Chris Sutton would love to get one over on his old club and Larsson is undoubtedly the best player in Scotland.
Damien, Ireland

Remember Trelleborgs? It will be another embarrassment for the jokers in blue and white. I expect Celtic to win without breaking sweat.
Paul, Burnley

It will be interesting to see if Mr Souness changes his selection policy fo this game. He has previously put out weakened teams, but against his old adverseries?
Charles Frankland, England

It's going to be close, but I think it will come down to if Duff fires up or not.
Rory, Australia

If all of Rovers' players are fit, we should cruise through Celtic. In fact, I quite fancy Rovers to go all the way. The team looks finally settled and are capable of beating anyone on their day.

It's not going to be an easy ride for Celtic, I assure you that. Sutton's return will be good to see and I'm sure he'll get a good reception at Ewood, but I think Rovers have too much fire power to be beaten over the two legs.
Chara, UK

Blackburn are not experienced enough in European football

Simon, England
Blackburn better play out of their skin to have a hope of coming away with anything from Celtic Park on Halloween. Juventus, Rosenborg, Porto and Valencia all suffered defeats last season there.

If Celtic start quickly Rovers will be annhialated before the final whistle blows and David Thompson won't do anything about this one!
Jim Winters, Scotland

Come on Blackburn, do it for England. Let's show them there's no room in Europe for them.
Adrian, UK

If Souness puts out our best side, and doesn't decide to rest people for the League, I believe we can give Celtic a game. But it will be very difficult.
Damian, England

Blackburn are not experienced enough in European football to beat Celtic over two legs, although I do think it will be close. Both Ipswich and Leeds should progress, but Fulham have a fairly tricky tie (and one they probably didn't want after the problems surrounding their previous opponents).

However, if Fulham can reproduce the form that they have been showing of late, I think that they stand every chance.
Simon, England

Blackburn have no chance against the Scottish champions

Peter McAllister, Scotland
This will be a great game, and a very close one. Blackburn can't be underestimated because of the power and creativity they possess attacking wise.

With Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke up-front, not to mention Duff's tricks in the middle of the park, Celtic can't take Blackburn lighty.

I have a feeling Blackburn will sneak this one, as Celtic always crumble when under extreme pressure! England have came out on top so many times, it's hard to see that changing. Blackburn to win 2-1 on agg.
Paul Steed, England

Blackburn have no chance against the Scottish champions. Martin O'Neill can safely look towards the third round, and Souness can look forward to another relegation battle.
Peter McAllister, Scotland

This will be an interesting couple of games. It will be a good gauge of the different standards between the two leagues and give some indication as to whether or not Cetic and Rangers should play in the Premiership.

If Celtic cannot beat a mid-table team (with all due respect to Blackburn) over two legs, then clearly they should bury any idea of joining.
Brownie, UK

Aug 30, 2002
It's gonna be an intriguing tie. I prefer Blackburns attacking options but Celtic have more big match experience in Europe recently. A close game... 6-0 to Blacburn.

(only kidding :p)

manutd.visitor, England

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
I think Blackburn will win this one. Celtic's only quality player is Larsson, so if Blackburn's defence can keep him quiet I see nothing but a Blackburn win here

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
For me this one's too close to call.
Blackburn have had some good results recently and are a good outfit.
Celtic however, as you say, have played some big names over the last year or so and have done ok.
I think, solely on the balance of probabilty...Celtic.

nina

Feb 18, 2001
Don't make me laugh, my sides are hurting. You Scots don't honestly believe that a team from the SPL has any chance against any team from the mighty English Premier League do you? Blackburn all the way - I predict a 3-1 win.
Mighty? :LOL: :howler: :LOL:

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
This match definitely made me happy tonight :extatic:

Uefa Cup Report: Schalke Slaughtered By Wisla

12/10/2002.
All of Schalke's cup hopes have been shattered in the space of six days as unfashionable Polish side Wisla Krakau sent them crashing out of the Uefa Cup – less than a week after they were bounced from the DfB Pokal - by thrashing them 4-1 (5-1 on agg) in their own backyard.

50'000+ in the ice-cold Arena AufSchalke feared the worst when Maciej Zurawski shot the eight-time Polish champions into a surprise lead on 40 minutes but were almost immediately calmed when Tomasz Hajto benefited from a mistake by Wisla keeper Angelo Hugues to make it even both on the night and on aggregate just 120 seconds later.

A thoroughly disappointing and obviously exhausted Schalke outfit certainly hadn't done enough to merit being level going into the break, and spectacularly failed to take advantage of their undeserved lease on life during the second 45.

Kalu Uche completely knocked the stuffing out of Frank Neubarth's side by making it 2-1 on 51 minutes, as the Germans now needed three to prevent from being pole-axed by the Poles.

Schalke were in no state to down such a tall order and Wisla added humiliation to their total dejection by adding further goals through Kosowski and a second one for Zurawski.

Tuesday's calamity represented the Royal Blues first home-loss in the competition in 25 years, the most untimely of streak-snappers costing Schalke a spot in the quarterfinals as well as millions in potential earnings.

Schalke: Rost - Hajto, van Hoogdalem, Matellan, van Kerckhoven (65. Agali) - Poulsen - Asamoah (77. Wilmots), Möller, Böhme (82. Hanke) - Sand, Mpenza

Krakau: Hugues - Baszczynski, Glowacki, Jop, Stolarczyk - Uche (90. Paszulewicz), Strak, Szymkowiak, Kosowski - Zurawski, Kuzba (78. Pater)

Goals: 0:1 Zurawski (40.), 1:1 Hajto (42.), 1:2 Uche (51.), 1:3 Zurawski (85.), 1:4 Kosowski (90.)
Attendance: 50.830
Yellow Cards: Böhme - Glowacki

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I was flabbergasted to put it mildly when I saw the result tonight. First they take out Parma and now Schalke, what the hell is going on??? :eek:

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
And you would be more flabbergasted, if you could see these matches! ;) Both second legs: with Parma ans Schalke. Specially today's goals: 2th, 3rd and 4th. They just played as they should, if they want to win anything in European Cups.
But I don't remember now, who they will play next with...

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I guess the draw is on Friday, usually is. But they have the strength to do well this year, all the confidence from beating two of the [supposedly] best teams in the competition. But you also have a bunch of the CL eliminees, some of which are a tad strong for Wisla. Otherwise beware of Porto, they are on terrific form this year, beat Polonia 6-0 among others ;)

GO KASPERCZAK!

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Manutd.Visitor ] ++
I think solely on the balance of being biased... Blackburn win.
Since the forum went down we haven't had a chance to update this one Manutd. Visitor. Celtic came good in the end I suppose, and Blackburn didn't play that great either...so Celtic moved on to face Celta Vigo.

Did you see the first leg against Celta in Glasgow?
Celtic won 1-0, but as a complete neutral, I thought they should have won by at least two, hehe. The game in Spain this Thursday should be a cracker.

And we meet Man. Utd again in the States next year. Hope it's on Sky.
See Ya

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
I guess the draw is on Friday, usually is.
Yes exactly

But they have the strength to do well this year, all the confidence from beating two of the [supposedly] best teams in the competition. But you also have a bunch of the CL eliminees, some of which are a tad strong for Wisla. Otherwise beware of Porto, they are on terrific form this year, beat Polonia 6-0 among others ;)
No need to bring it here again :groan::D
And I prefer Wisła anyway ;)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
Good luck playing Celta, they're a tough nut ;)
Cheers Alex. I was at the game in Glasgow and thought Celtic coped pretty well with Vigo. However, I'm not that confident that we'll do as well in Spain. May the best team win:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)