The UEFA Cup Thread (1 Viewer)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
.....and it's Larsson to Hartson...intercepted...it falls to Larsson...it's a....... gggggggooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllll.

Oh my God...................the 'tic are in the final.............

I don't think I'll make the office tomorrow:D

Buy on AliExpress.com

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
From the BBC

Larsson strike books final spot

Boavista 0-1 Celtic (Agg: 1-2)

Henrik Larsson made amends for his penalty miss in the first leg by scoring the goal that put Celtic into the Uefa Cup final.

Celtic just about deserved their victory against a Boavista side that failed to excite, although the Scottish champions played well below their best.

But all that will be forgotten as the Celtic supporters prepare for the trip to Seville, where their team will play Porto in the final on 21 May.

Larsson's 78th minute strike was the one bright point in a highly disappointing and dour match.

With so much at stake, the opening exchanges were understandably tentative, but Celtic settled first and created the game's first decent goalscoring opportunity.

A hopeful Alan Thompson free-kick was flicked on by the head of John Hartson, allowing Henrik Larsson a sight of goal, but the Swede uncharacteristically pulled his shot wide under pressure from Eder Silveira.

Boavista scarcely threatened the Celtic goal in the opening quarter of the game and when they did manage a shot at goal on 21 minutes, Luis Pedrosa's long-range free-kick was well off target.

Three minutes later, Pedrosa attempted a similar effort, but again the shot flew over Rab Douglas' bar.

Celtic were forced to bring Chris Sutton into the fray rather earlier than planned when Paul Lambert was forced off with an ankle injury with just over half an hour gone.

The home side's first significant effort came after 36 minutes when Pedro Santos let fly from outside the box, but the ball was always curling wide of Douglas' left-hand post.

Douglas came to Celtic's rescue two minutes before the interval when he reacted quickly to palm Elpidio Silva's header away after Martelinho had capitalised on Joos Valgaeren's slip to get behind the Celtic defence.

But Douglas almost handed the Portuguese the lead on 59 minutes when he misjudged Duda's cross and succeeded only in knocking the ball into Silva's path.

The Brazilian got his header on target but Johan Mjallby managed to deflect the ball wide of the post with Douglas stranded.

Celtic struggled to get going in the second half until Alan Thompson had a fierce drive deflected wide on 70 minutes as they sought that elusive away goal.

It finally came eight minutes later, when Larsson played a slightly fortunate one-two with Boavista defender Filipe Anunciacao before finishing clinically from 12 yards.

Didier Agathe might have conceded a penalty with four minutes remaining when he appeared to catch Jocivalter in the area, but the referee saw nothing amiss and Celtic held on for a famous win.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boavista: Ricardo, Mario Loja, Avalos, Eder, Erivan (Jocivalter 80), Anunciacao, Martelinho, Pedrosa (Yuri 84), Pedro Santos, Silva (Luiz Claudio 68), Duda.

Subs Not Used: William, Rui Oscar, Bosingwa, Goulart.

Booked: Avalos.

Celtic: Douglas, Valgaeren (Smith 75), Balde, Mjallby, Agathe, Lennon, Petrov, Lambert (Sutton 34), Thompson, Larsson, Hartson.

Subs Not Used: Marshall, Sylla, McNamara, Laursen, Maloney.

Booked: Agathe, Mjallby.

Att: 11,000

Ref: Valentin Ivanov (Russia).

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
Without doubt the poorest game of this European campaign.
Boavista did not bring anything to this game until after Celtic scored.

Do you know they kept the ball boys in after half time and played the second half with only one ball to waist time:(

They fell about as if shot by snipers and exajerated injuries.
I'm normally humble in victory, but I must say I'm happier to beat Boavista than get into the final, as they were bad sports and divers.:groan:

Unfortunately we face Porto in the final. But who knows...in finals anything can happen

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
Larsson admits to good fortune

Henrik Larsson admitted the goal that booked Celtic's place in their first European final in 33 years had an element of good fortune about it.
The Swede struck his 40th goal of the season to send Celtic into the Uefa Cup final at the expense of Boavista.

But he acknowledged afterwards that both the build-up and the execution of the goal required some good luck.

"I tried to slip the ball to John Hartson, but thankfully the defender slide-tackled and the ball came back to me," said Celtic's talismanic striker.

"I didn't get much on it and it certainly didn't go in the right direction, but it doesn't matter, we got one in the end."

Manager Martin O'Neill hailed his players' performance and insisted Celtic were capable of going on to win the cup.

But he was scathing of the tactics used by Boavista over the two legs that almost led to his side's exit.

Whatever happens against Rangers happens, but the final of this is the one you want

"Over the two games we deserve it - they were so negative with their diving and time-wasting, and it came back to haunt them eventually," said O'Neill.

"I'm delighted for everyone at the club, the players and the supporters - I've always said it's about those who pay and those who play.

"We know it will be difficult against Porto but there's no reason why we can't win it."

Captain Paul Lambert said the final would be the biggest game of most of the players' lives and insisted that Sunday's Old Firm game paled in comparison to the significance of the prospect of playing in a Uefa Cup final.

Lambert has a Champions League winners' medal from his time with Borussia Dortmund, but is clearly relishing the opportunity to add a Uefa Cup winners' medal to his collection.

"Whatever happens on Sunday happens, but the final of this is the one you want," he said.

"I don't think the guys will realise what they have done until the day of the final.

"Once they are there, it will be fantastic - the game of their lives.

"You never know, against Porto it is a one-off game and we can take anybody."

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
Porto cruise past Lazio

Lazio 0-0 FC Porto (agg: 1-4)

Claudio Lopez missed a penalty for Lazio
FC Porto eased into the final of the Uefa Cup after a goalless draw against Lazio in Italy

Porto will meet Celtic in the final in Seville ion 21 May after the Scottish club beat Boavista.

Porto went into the game with a 4-1 lead and, despite starting with three strikers, Lazio failed to mount a serious challenge in trying to overhaul the deficit.

Both sides were down to 10 men when Porto striker Helder Postiga and Lazio midfielder Cesar were sent-off on the stroke of half-time.

Claudio Lopez, playing with Simeone Inzaghi and Enrico Chiesa up front for Lazio, missed a second half penalty but it would only likely to have proved a consolation goal for the Italian club.

Indeed, Postiga had a chance to put the visitors ahead before his red card.

He beat Lazio's keeper Luca Marchegiani only to have his shot deflected by defender Sinisa Mihajlovic.

Lazio manager Roberto Mancini had asked for the club's fans to try and inspire his team to victory, and there was a 72,000 crowd at the Olympic Stadium in Rome.

But they were given little to cheer, and did not even get to see a goal when Lopez saw Vitor Baia save his spot-kick after Inzaghi had been fouled.

Porto are now still on course for a treble as they lead their domestic league and are also in the Portuguese Cup final.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lazio: Marchegiani, Cesar, Mihajlovic, Oddo, Couto, Stankovic, Giannichedda (Fiore 50), Liverani (Baggio 69), Lopez, Inzaghi, Chiesa (Lazetic 59).
Subs Not Used: Concetti, Negro, Colonnese, Simeone.

Sent Off: Cesar (44).

Booked: Giannichedda, Cesar, Liverani.

FC Porto: Vitor Baia, Paulo Ferreira, Jorge Costa, Ricardo Carvalho, Nuno Valente, Alenitchev (Pedro Emanuel 89), Ricardo Costa, Deco (Tiago 80), Maniche, Derlei (Jankauskas 85), Helder Postiga.
Subs Not Used: Nuno, Secretario, Capucho, Marco Ferreira.

Sent Off: Helder Postiga (44).

Booked: Helder Postiga, Jorge Costa.

Referee: Giles Veissiere (France).

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
Ohhh....... :wallbang:
Just teach me English gramma :D
Sometimes I don't read carefully and I reply in wrong way.
My support WENT to Porto when they were playing with Lazio, cause I want them to eliminate Lazio (still Wisła thing)

So nothing to do to make me honourary Celtic fan: I can say already: WTG Celtic in UEFA Cup final! :thumb:

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
The count down begins.

It's estimated that 85,000 Celtic fans will be in Seville on Wednesday night...but only 20,000 have tickets.

Celtic released their new home strip two days ago, and have already sold 45,000.:eek:
Celtic believe they will have sold 100,000 by Wednesday night.:dazed:

No matter what the result against Porto, the Bhoys and Ghirls will make sure Seville rocks after the match.

Hail the 'tic:D

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
All right; I'm man enough; I can take it; give me your honest predictions for the final. Then after the game we'll see who was right.:confused:

Being biased I'll say Celtic 3-2.:angel:

Bring it on Porto:fero:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Well I pretty much expected Porto to win this from the get go. But anything is possible and Celtic have overcome a couple of tough opponents so why not, you never know.. :)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
Hmm. I see we have some unbelievers in the forum.

Maybe your right, we can only wait and see.

However, did you know that this is Celtic's 200th game in European comps' and if they win it will be their 100th victory. If Larsson scores it will be his 200th goal for Celtic and my 200th hangover on a Thursday hehe.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
Would you believe it.
I was just watching a national TV news report from Seville when I saw my young cousin smilling in to the camera. I saw him just yesterday:eek:

It's a small world alright :cheesy:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
I'll have to say 4-3 to Porto, but only just!

I'm expecting a great final along the lines of Alaves-Liverpool and Feyenoord-Borussia Dortmuned again! :drool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)