The swan song of the Divine Ponytail (1 Viewer)

Dec 27, 2003
Following the insistence of the Gazzetta, Trapattoni has officially said that he will call Roberto Baggio up for what will be his last game with the Nazionale.

"Ci sto pensando - ha dichiarato il c.t. azzurro alla Gazzetta dello Sport -. Gli parlerò. Gli dirò che se ha il piacere di tornare con noi, se sente questo desiderio, lo vorrei convocare per una partita. Una delle prossime. Magari per l'amichevole in programma il 28 aprile a Genova contro la Spagna".

i.e. : "Im thinking about it" said Trap. "I will talk to him. I will tell him that if he would like to play again for us, if he feels this is what he wishes, then I intend to call him up for one of our next games. It could be the friendly against Spain in Genova on April 28th".

Way to go, Trap. Now you'll just have to convince Maldini to reconsider his retirement and help us secure that European title which eluded us so cruelly 4 years ago.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
Oh that's a thrown bone...

If I were Baggio, I wouldn't play, in return to Trap not taking him to Korea/Japan

(not that I would have liked him to play in the WC though)

OP
Kaiser Franco
Dec 27, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    By the way: in another interview, Baggio said he sees Cassano as his heir. I think the comparison is quite accurate : Cassano is physically stronger than Roby, but his technique and position on the field are very similar to his'. of course they are two opposite persons when it comes to their temperament.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Cassano will never have the class and respect of Robby. The talent and ability, maybe, but I don't think he'll become the folk hero that Baggio is and always will be

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    You never know, at his age Cassano should have plenty of room to improve. I am not a big fan of his, but his game is impressive, and I am looking forward to seing him in Portugal.

Jan 7, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++
    By the way: in another interview, Baggio said he sees Cassano as his heir. I think the comparison is quite accurate : Cassano is physically stronger than Roby, but his technique and position on the field are very similar to his'. of course they are two opposite persons when it comes to their temperament.
    nice going Robby

OP
    Kaiser Franco
    Dec 27, 2003
  • Thread Starter #9
    ++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++
    Cassano will never have the class and respect of Robby. The talent and ability, maybe, but I don't think he'll become the folk hero that Baggio is and always will be
    He could be a different kind of folk hero : a more human hero who commits an awful lot of mistakes but whom the seduced masses are willing to pardon everything. A bit like Maradona.

As far as Im concerned, I'll be happy already to see him score a breathtaking goal in his Euro debut, like Baggio did against Czechoslovakia in 1990.

gray

Apr 22, 2003

He could be a different kind of folk hero : a more human hero who commits an awful lot of mistakes but whom the seduced masses are willing to pardon everything. A bit like Maradona.
    Good point, great example

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003

in 1990.
    No, no one will ever play like Maradona did. Nor will anyone play like the divine pony tail. How can you compare Cassano, some lowly selfish yet TALENTED soccer player with Baggio? Cassano might be a great player with a bright future, but his personality is the hit. Nontheless, forgetting his personality, I dont see much more potential in him than i see in Totti, and Totti is by no means, the "next" Baggio.

Baggio, Pele, Maradona, Platini, even Zidane and Maldini, they are legendary footballers. The Tottis, Cassanos, Henrys, DPs, Nedveds, Figos, etc come and go. They have to be very ELITE to hit the toplist, and Cassana hasnt got that extra touch to hit the "Legends" list.

OP
    Kaiser Franco
    Dec 27, 2003
  • Thread Starter #13
    ++ [ originally posted by PersianMafia ] ++

No, no one will ever play like Maradona did. Nor will anyone play like the divine pony tail. How can you compare Cassano, some lowly selfish yet TALENTED soccer player with Baggio? Cassano might be a great player with a bright future, but his personality is the hit. Nontheless, forgetting his personality, I dont see much more potential in him than i see in Totti, and Totti is by no means, the "next" Baggio.
    I think you should read my posts more carefully. It's Baggio himself who said Cassano is his heir. And I did not compare Cassano's play with Maradona, just his personality. Football is full of "bad boys" adored by the fans, and Cassano seems to just it into that category.

Having followed Baggio ever since he scored that quintessential goal against Napoli in 1987, I can say Cassano is very much at the same point in his career as Baggio was when he was his age, i.e. looking like Italy's next big star and only needing to assert himself with the national team in order to conquer the international platform.

As for Totti, he certainly is one of the very best players Italy has produced in the last two decades.

nina

Feb 18, 2001
    As much as I think Baggio needs a proper 'goodbye' from the Azzurri, this is not the way and especially not with Trapattoni.

OP
    Kaiser Franco
    Dec 27, 2003
  • Thread Starter #17
    ++ [ originally posted by nina ] ++
    As much as I think Baggio needs a proper 'goodbye' from the Azzurri, this is not the way and especially not with Trapattoni.
    But if he is indeed to retire at the end of the season, he will have to make do with Trap in order to wear the azure cap one last time..

nina

Feb 18, 2001
    As far as I know, Trap will leave after Euro04 and next coach will be signed and qualifications for WC06 start already in September ... I think that would be most appropriet ... but then again, Lippi will probably be the new Azzurri coach and we all know how big the Roby-Marcelo love is :rolleyes: :wallbang:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)