The Rugby World Cup! (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I know most of you don't care about this sport / weren't aware that your country had a Rugby team, but as an Aussie, I felt that it was my duty to make the Rugby WC thread ;)

First, the teams:

GROUP A

Australia
Argentina
Ireland
Namibia
Romania

GROUP B

France
Scotland
Fiji
Japan
USA

GROUP C

South Africa
England
Georgia
Samoa
Uruguay

GROUP D

New Zealand
Wales
Italy
Croatia
Tonga

If you care little enough, then just blindly support your country's team if they're in the competition. If not, support Australia! :extatic: I personally won't be going to see any of the matches, since I'm not that much of a Rugby fan, but I want Australia to win of course ;)

The Rugby WC started in 1987, and the WC has stayed in the southern hemisphere since the beginning of the competition. Let's keep it that way! Go away poms! :p

The previous winners of the competition were:

1987 - New Zealand 29 - 9 France
1991 - Australia 12 - 6 England
1995 - South Africa 15 - 12 New Zealand
1999 - Australia 35 - 12 France

did you know: That the Rugby World Cup is now established as the third biggest sporting event behind the Olympic Games and FIFA World Cup?

Visit http://www.rugby2003.com.au/ and http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/ for more info ;)

Buy on AliExpress.com

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
I'm looking forward to it. I'm not a big Rugger fan, but I'll watch Ireland play on occasion, and The Argentina match will be a big one for us. If we win that, we'll finish in second behind you lot, and maybe sneek into the semis if we're lucky.

It's a tough group for us, and we're missing Murphy, who broke his leg recently, which is a big blow, but Keith Wood is fit again, which is a boost. Watch out for Ronan O'Gara's kicking (unless Humphries starts) and Brian O'Driscoll, who's amoung the best players in the Northern hemisphere.

OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    I'd probably put Ireland behind England and France, as they've always lacked consistency.

I was impressed by your win over us in November or so, that was the first for more than 20 years :p

btw thanks for acknowledging that 'we lot' are going to top the group hehe ;) I wouldn't mind seeing Ireland do well actually, good luck to you :) You also beat Argentina, so there's hope for the WC match.

I'll be watching out for O'Kelly, O'Gara and O'Driscoll - they stood up to England's best in the 2001 Brits tour, and O'Driscoll especially is young, and a world class center.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    O'Driscoll (I've a feeling I'm misspelling that!) is just 24, but he was at the last WC. He'll probably be marked out of the games, but if one of the littler sides fails to contain him, it'll be murder. :D

France aren't at their best, and I'd fancy us against them if we meet, but England are bloody good this time. I wouldn't be surprised to see them win the whole thing. :(

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #6
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
    I wouldn't be surprised to see them win the whole thing. :(
    Sad to say, me neither. I've got a bad feeling Australia won't win this one, maybe New Zealand or England (God forbid :sigh: ).

p.s. u spelt O'Driscoll right ;)

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #7
    ++ [ originally posted by GOAT ] ++
    Rugby??? Oh gray, thats so Aussie... :rolleyes:

:D
    My duty, as I said ;)

I got a souvenir with my train ticket today... there's gonna be bloody delays on the trains from tomorrow :sigh: Oh well, at least I'll get to talk to some cool tourists, should be plenty of fun~

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #8
    Australia are 6-0 up against Argentina, with 2 penalty kicks from Elton Flatley :D

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #9
    11-0 !! Wendell Sailor with the try!

And Elton Flatley misses the conversion, so it's still 11-0

GO WALLABIES! :extatic:

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #12
    Let's hope so :D

Ireland v Romania should be easy for Ireland methinks ;)

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #13
    We're playing well, my prediction is 35-8 ;) I'm not very good at predicting rugby scores, but... :undecide:

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    Let's hope so :D

Ireland v Romania should be easy for Ireland methinks ;)
    I'd imagine so. Probably 30-8 or so for Ireland v Romania. We're not a high-scoring team, even if they are crap.

Yeah, rugby scores are a *****. Too many points!

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #15
    14-3 :D Elton Flatley with his 3rd penalty goal from 4 attempts :thumb:

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #17
    Hehe... damn Wilkinson's good! As if his running and passing weren't good enough... that awesome kick is just a bonus. It was quite difficult though, since Sailor scored the try in the right corner :undecide:

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #18
    17-3

Another penalty from Flatley ;)

Onle one try for us though :undecide:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)