The Response (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2002
Martin, in his usual heavy handed, but effective manner, put to death the previously political debate over Nike slave labour.

So, with all intent to keep to simple sporting terms I am writing a response:

Nike and Juve have a very lucrative business contract, and nothing any fan says will change that. The deal is all about the money, especially for Juve. If it wasn't about the money then they'd produce the jersey themselves. It's not as if there aren't textile manufacturers in Italy...Nevertheless, we as fans must realize that in an increasely competitive footballing market, the money is important. Juve don't have the luxury of a marketing scheme as fool proof as Real's or a billionare benefactor like Chelsea. Juve need all the money they can get to compete. That's why Juve take deals with Nike and that's why Juve associates with Kaddafi and his son.

So, whether you like nike or not, keep that out of the discussion. What we should really be talking about is why the footballing industry has backed itself into such a corner as to rely upon jersey manufacturers for economic support. Does this not suggest a serious issue of neglect in terms of market management in football?

We can all agree that the Nike kits have black and white verticle stripes and that's what really counts. What else counts is that Nike is paying Juve. If you don't like the fact that Juventus and every other team in professional football relies upon donations from wealthy multinational corporations, then that is the true issue.

Hopefully, I've opened a new direction without crossing any boundaries...

Buy on AliExpress.com

K10

Jul 12, 2002
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Totally agree with you on all points.

What I don't like is what football has come to. Why is it all about money. Remeber long ago when there weren't any sponsors, just playing for fun. What can't that be re-created again?

Football seems to be more of a money thing than a fun thing at present. Such a shame I say.

Jul 19, 2003
Well, everything has gotten expensive....coaches, plyrs. These people depend on football to earn a living (a huge living, but one nonetheless). With that inflation, clubs have got to find a way to get all the revenue they can get.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
I also agree 100 percent.

It seems like all the big clubs are either sponsored by Nike or Adidas, not too many other sporting companies can compete with either athletic giant.

I fear smaller companies like Kappa, or even Diadora may go under because they cant compete

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
See it this way. We're lucky we got Nike rather than Reebok, probably the worst football shirt designer in the world. I would never buy those shirts, but Nike's are pretty cool and I don't mind the design at all.

Glen

Aug 26, 2002
Well put Ian.
The thing is that the NGO organisations who've demonstrated the various stages of horrors connected to NIKE's line of production- they've singled NIKE out because it was the most visible and recognizable example. But the other manufactorers are doing the same- only on a lesser scale.

As such- Juventus COULD do what Danish Champions FC Copenhagen are doing- which is manufacture their own jerseys. But it's a question of money, and we wouldn't be able to generate the same kind of money on our own- far less do as well through marketing channels on our own. FC Copenhagen are doing this because the number of fans who are willing to buy jerseys equate with a larger revenue than the large corporations are willing to give FC. Not a political reason. A financial one.

In the end- Juventus having a sponsor is one thing. We have to face the realities of football economics. What we can do is that we can be political consumers ourselves. It's true that Juventus would set an example, and it would be a powerfull one, but the question is if we as supporters would 'like' to see our club become weaker financially and likely be less successfull on the pitch because of it? Because it doesn't matter if it's NIKE, Adidas, Lotto or Rebook (don't know about Kappa). Their production lines are all similar, only the scale of recognition differ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)