The Rejuvenated Funny Pics Thread - NO VIDEOS (YouTube Included) (22 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Problem is that it arms the whackjobs who wish to normalize that thinking. There's always a risk that someone gets the joke a little too much.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Problem is that it arms the whackjobs who wish to normalize that thinking. There's always a risk that someone gets the joke a little too much.
It's a very antiracist joke really. It's so over the top it mocks racism.

I sort of do it too. We have a lot of people with foreign origins in my football team, also quite a few Moroccans. We often joke about them being thieves and vandals (with regards to the riots during the World Cup). Not because we believe them to be, but because it's ridiculous to assume every Moroccan person is one by definition. Just to be clear they initiate the jokes just as much as everyone else does though and it's obviously easier to appreciate in an enviroment in which you've been friends for years.

- - - Updated - - -

Not a good look for Belgians to make jokes like that
The US still outranks us with regards to negro slaves though.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
It's a very antiracist joke really. It's so over the top it mocks racism.

I sort of do it too. We have a lot of people with foreign origins in my football team, also quite a few Moroccans. We often joke about them being thieves and vandals (with regards to the riots during the World Cup). Not because we believe them to be, but because it's ridiculous to assume every Moroccan person is one by definition. Just to be clear they initiate the jokes just as much as everyone else does though and it's obviously easier to appreciate in an enviroment in which you've been friends for years.
Don't get me wrong. I would normally love that kind of humor. Mel Brooks often said that humor is how he gets back at Hitler.

It depends on context though.

That kind of humor used to be acceptable in popular culture decades ago. But then enough racist people didn't see the joke and took it literally, plus a number of hypersensitive people reacted to that as alarmist snowflakes, and both kinda ruined it for the rest of us. So if you didn't know who was in the room or who was watching, you have to assume the worst.

The shameful loss of that is it shut down public dialog and conversation, eliminating an opportunity to somewhat disarm very horrible and painful history. So today there's a moat where there used to be a bridge, with people being hyperdefensive, overly triggered, and preferring to talk to themselves in separate rooms.

- - - Updated - - -

The US still outranks us with regards to negro slaves though.
Only because you outsourced your atrocities to Africa.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Don't get me wrong. I would normally love that kind of humor. Mel Brooks often said that humor is how he gets back at Hitler.

It depends on context though.

That kind of humor used to be acceptable in popular culture decades ago. But then enough racist people didn't see the joke and took it literally, plus a number of hypersensitive people reacted to that as alarmist snowflakes, and both kinda ruined it for the rest of us. So if you didn't know who was in the room or who was watching, you have to assume the worst.

The shameful loss of that is it shut down public dialog and conversation, eliminating an opportunity to somewhat disarm very horrible and painful history. So today there's a moat where there used to be a bridge, with people being hyperdefensive, overly triggered, and preferring to talk to themselves in separate rooms.
I agree.

The context here is that it was originally published in a more leftist student type magazine. I don't think anyone who would have had a subscription to that magazine would have missed the joke. I understand why people would not want this published. But, like I said, it's a way to mock racism and show how ridiculous it is. The cartoonist now has a black wife (who is an Olympic gold medalist btw) and they both joke about race quite a bit. I believe it's their way of saying race doesn't matter and trying to disarm racial tensions.

Personally I also feel like evading certain jokes or topics victimizes people a second time.

@Osman usually has strong opinions about this, I wonder how he feels.

Only because you outsourced your atrocities to Africa.
I'm glad you noticed that - strictly speaking - it wasn't us.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I agree.

The context here is that it was originally published in a more leftist student type magazine. I don't think anyone who would have had a subscription to that magazine would have missed the joke. I understand why people would not want this published. But, like I said, it's a way to mock racism and show how ridiculous it is. The cartoonist now has a black wife (who is an Olympic gold medalist btw) and they both joke about race quite a bit. I believe it's their way of saying race doesn't matter and trying to disarm racial tensions.

Personally I also feel like evading certain jokes or topics victimizes people a second time.

@Osman usually has strong opinions about this, I wonder how he feels.
Humor is an amazing tool. Call it "nervous laughter" sometimes, or mocking the idiocy of racism as another take.

And here's where Osman might offer a different perspective. I still have a nagging concern about how much of racial humor in the public discourse decades ago was hurtful but tolerated out of a lack of empowerment to object to it.

But humor is missing... the ability to humanize the experience and dialog because it is so uncomfortable.

I'm glad you noticed that - strictly speaking - it wasn't us.
Yeah, but you were complicit benefactors. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 20)