The Projection thread (not about giovanotti) (1 Viewer)

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
I point out that national teams and club teams aren't the same things and you two go on the rag?
Whether you support a NT or a FC its all about football play, or at least that's what it should be.

I find no harm in cheering for a NT other than your country's as long as you do support your own NT.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
No, you're a towel!

First of all let me just say. Anybody that doesn't support their home nation is a douche.

Now, I think your interpretation of Support and Support and the correlation between them is different to mine. I am a Juventus supporter, I am a Fingal supporter, I am an éire supporter. I fail to see how I can lend my support towards a team that are in a separate big competition. We support Inter in the CL to keep the coefficient high, we aren't fully-fledged Merda-fags similarly I support North Korea in their quest for world cup glory. It's temporary support not lifetime support, and that doesn't make you a fake fan.
We do indeed have different interpretations of support. I believe that if you want to see the underdogs win against the big, well-"supported" (har har) sides, that doesn't make you a fan or supporter whether it be in the long run or short run because apart from that match you most likely don't care about the said team. The only reason why you want them to beat their opponent is because you want to see the other side lose. In my view, that's not supporting or being a fan of.

Just because I want to see Lyon thrash Manure doesn't mean I'm a supporter of the former.

What makes folks faux fans is actually trying to support the likes of Italy.

You do know that it can easily be said why just nations? Why not towns or cities that are local to you. Why are you guys supporting a Turin based team when your on the other side of the world and have no home affiliation to this city or country for that matter.
It's much, much different. I don't need Italian citizenship to play for Juventus, but I would need citizenship to play for the Azzurri.

That's where the line should be drawn. If not, then international football isn't worth anything and one might as well do away with it.

I support the US in every match they play even against the Azzurri, I agree Italiens are gay boys, and I regularly rip on the Azzurri and their greasy mops. I would not consider myself an "Azzurri fan" but I like the team and support them when it does not harm my own country.

But once the United States goes out I am going to openly support the Azzurri for this tournament but I will not refer to them as "us". Am I a fake US fan?
I'd say yes, but you'd be more of a fake Italian fan.

There's absolutely no reason at all why you need to support the Azzurri. It's just all phony bullshit masked as gloryhunting.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
But i find it strange that people support a national team other than their countries (they're definitely free to do so) but its just strange...
I think exactly the same thing, I find it strange and I cannot understand it. And believe me, I have read so many explanations on this forums that it makes you even more confused.

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
I've said this before but I'll say it again.

Ireland comes first obviously. After that, I take more of an interest in the Azzurri than I do in any other national team because it's a team made up of players from Serie A, which I watch more of every week than the EPL/La Liga etc. I wouldn't consider myself an Azzurri fan though. Far from it in fact.

SABSAB

Snoop Stinks
Dec 10, 2008
We do indeed have different interpretations of support. I believe that if you want to see the underdogs win against the big, well-"supported" (har har) sides, that doesn't make you a fan or supporter whether it be in the long run or short run because apart from that match you most likely don't care about the said team. The only reason why you want them to beat their opponent is because you want to see the other side lose. In my view, that's not supporting or being a fan of.
Ah I finally got you:D And it's true what you say. Yes you can't call yourself a "fan" or "supporter" when you never care about the team the whole year, but the second they are in the world cup, you behave like it's your team. This is indeed a faux fan.
I support my NT first, then there are others with some players I like where I have my eye on but I'd never call them "my" team. Oh and every one that plays good football can win my heart, but that doesn't make me a true fan of them.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Ah I finally got you:D And it's true what you say. Yes you can't call yourself a "fan" or "supporter" when you never care about the team the whole year, but the second they are in the world cup, you behave like it's your team. This is indeed a faux fan.
I support my NT first, then there are others with some players I like where I have my eye on but I'd never call them "my" team. Oh and every one that plays good football can win my heart, but that doesn't make me a true fan of them.
Liking to watch good football is liking to watch good football, nothing else. It's certainly not being a fan of the team(s) in question. I like to watch Barca play the game but that doesn't make me a fan of them (contrary to popular opinion around here) considering I don't care whether they win or lose.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
That happens with every sane football fan.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Cobblers! The only reason people from other lands support teams like Juve, Real, Pool, Bayern, Barça et al, is for glory: glory-hunters, mock-fans.

It's called living a lie.
I totally disagree because these teams you mentioned and many others are institutions or companies that exist to make profit and they do that by marketing their image worldwide so they gather fans from everywhere so they can make more profit.

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
I think exactly the same thing, I find it strange and I cannot understand it. And believe me, I have read so many explanations on this forums that it makes you even more confused.
I can understand people liking a certain NT's. I personally like to watch the Brazilian NT because its just a joy to watch them play but i never supported them. It doesn't make any difference if they win or lose to me.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I can understand people liking a certain NT's. I personally like to watch the Brazilian NT because its just a joy to watch them play but i never supported them. It doesn't make any difference if they win or lose to me.
I watch international competitions just because I like football and usually these competitions host high quality of football.

Sep 1, 2002
I totally disagree because these teams you mentioned and many others are institutions or companies that exist to make profit and they do that by marketing their image worldwide so they gather fans from everywhere so they can make more profit.
Not sure what your point is?
I might like a Volvo because they are a good car and have great marketing, but I'm not going to wear their t-shirt and follow them religously.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Not sure what your point is?
I might like a Volvo because they are a good car and have great marketing, but I'm not going to wear their t-shirt and follow them religously.
My point is that Juventus as an institution seek fans from all over the world so they can sell their merchandise, so that people watch them on TV, so that people travel to Turin and attend their games. Juventus work on having supporters from Greece, Chile and Singapore. This is how Juventus develop into a bigger team, a stronger one, a world class one.

A national team does not do all that, a national team is simply representing it's nation in competitions with other national teams representing their nations. There is no marketing there, there is no need to get more fans, there is no business in that. It is simply representation.

Volvo is a product, by buying their car you have the exact same thing as like supporting Juventus or Real Madrid or Bayern München.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
I don't get it. They market to make profit, so we support them to help them out?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)