The Official Tennis Thread (50 Viewers)

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
He will never be the goat. Might have the most GS titles by the end, and most likely will, might be considered the best, but will never surpass the legacy Federer created. And I'm not even a tennis guy, watched maybe 3-4 full matches my entire life. But Ali, Senna/Schumi, Federer, Jordan will always be synonyms for their respective sports.
So, you admit to watching 3-4 full matches in your life and then serve an opinion on the matter? Winning is what counts, and we’re not going to see anyone surpass him in our lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
So, you admit to watching 3-4 full matches in your life and then serve an opinion on the matter? Winning is what counts, and we’re not going to see anyone surpass him in our lifetime.

Yes. I don't need to watch 1000 full matches to know the impact Federer has had.

Also, nobody thought someone would surpass Sampras, then Federer etc. Nobody thought someone will come close to Schumi's 7 titles etc.

Bill Russell won almost double the amount of titles Jordan did, Jordan is still the goat. LeBron might surpass or catch him, Micheal will still be the goat. Winning is important yes, but not the only factor in deciding the 'greatest'.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Yes. I don't need to watch 1000 full matches to know the impact Federer has had.

Also, nobody thought someone would surpass Sampras, then Federer etc. Nobody thought someone will come close to Schumi's 7 titles etc.

Bill Russell won almost double the amount of titles Jordan did, Jordan is still the goat. LeBron might surpass or catch him, Micheal will still be the goat. Winning is important yes, but not the only factor in deciding the 'greatest'.
This is amazing. Fine - you dont need to watch tennis to have a qualified say in matters related to tennis :tup:

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015

:agree:

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
This is amazing. Fine - you dont need to watch tennis to have a qualified say in matters related to tennis :tup:
I agree with him, and I did watch a lot of Tennis. Not so much anymore now though.

This is gonna be argued over for forever.

One might have won more in the end, but the impact Federer had on the Tennis scene is on a whole different level compared to Djokovic. On top of that he's class and a joy to watch. Djokovic is a bitch and absolutely boring.

If you only look at trophies to choose your goat, fine. But I don't.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
I agree with him, and I did watch a lot of Tennis. Not so much anymore now though.

This is gonna be argued over for forever.

One might have won more in the end, but the impact Federer had on the Tennis scene is on a whole different level compared to Djokovic. On top of that he's class and a joy to watch. Djokovic is a bitch and absolutely boring.

If you only look at trophies to determ your goat, fine. But I don't.
And I’ll gladly debate it with you.

What it comes down to is semantics. You remember Federer starting out and the way he dominated, his grace etc etc. The generation after you remembers Djokovic doing the impossible and stopping Fed. Two generations down the line Federer will live through YT reels with no real records to speak of. Which is why trophies determine the goat - everything else is subjective.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
It's hard to compare individuals in team sports judging them by the number of titles they won.
Even in individual sports, I could accept that the one with the most titles of all time isn't necessarily the best if his closest rivals played in different era.
But Djokovic is playing at the same time as Federer and Nadal. If he ends up with more GS titles than them, then it's gonna be hard to say that Federer or Nadal were better than him. Especially considering his superior record in the H2H clashes against both of them. And especially against Federer. The overall h2h is 27:23 for Novak, but counting only GS matches it's 11:6 for Novak, and counting only the finals these two played against each other, Novak wins 14:6.
He won't be the best only because he won the most GS titles. He'll be the best also because he was cleaning the floor with those who are supposedly the best of all time.

But the elite will never accept a working class man (or in this case: someone who's not from an elite country) winning in an elite sport.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
It's hard to compare individuals in team sports judging them by the number of titles they won.
Even in individual sports, I could accept that the one with the most titles of all time isn't necessarily the best if his closest rivals played in different era.
But Djokovic is playing at the same time as Federer and Nadal. If he ends up with more GS titles than them, then it's gonna be hard to say that Federer or Nadal were better than him. Especially considering his superior record in the H2H clashes against both of them. And especially against Federer. The overall h2h is 27:23 for Novak, but counting only GS matches it's 11:6 for Novak, and counting only the finals these two played against each other, Novak wins 14:6.
He won't be the best only because he won the most GS titles. He'll be the best also because he was cleaning the floor with those who are supposedly the best of all time.

But the elite will never accept a working class man (or in this case: someone who's not from an elite country) winning in an elite sport.
Novak's head to head with Federer and Nadal got inflated when it overlapped with them being on the decline to be fair.

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
Oh sorry I forgot that grand privileged life among the elite Federer was born into and got gifted all these titles and admiration from people all around the world. Same with Ali, Jordan and Senna. All among the elites lol

One thing I've noticed is Novak fans always go back to playing the victim, how people don't like him because there's some conspiracy against him or something. Very hard to accept there are very objective reasons why people consider someone else greater

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
More like their decline coincided with Djokovic arriving. Fed is only 6 years older than Nole.

Especially Nadal is almost the same age, just saying they peaked at different times.

For me its a close call between Nadal and Djokovic, and the latter didn't endure as many injuries so I have to concede Novak has the better claim

And I say this as a Federer fan, I really started to appreciate and admire Nadal more as Federer's level started to drop

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Novak's head to head with Federer and Nadal got inflated when it overlapped with them being on the decline to be fair.
my goat is sampras, so i couldn't care less about this current goat debate, i'll leave it to those who enjoy baseline tennis :p still, djokovic raised his game for 2011 and is rightfully belongs to the same tier as federer or nadal.

djokovic had to overcome nadal's 16-7 lead (that was the biggest diff between them in '10) and eventually overtook nadal in their h2h at the beginning of 2016. 2010 was easily nadal's best year, and he lost next season's h2h 0-6. we can safely say that djokovic dominated their rivalry since 2011. if you still consider 2016 as the turning point (which actually happened years earlier), then declining nadal still won 6 gs trophies (4 rg's) and spent zero weeks outside of the top10 ever since. (he was in the top3 for most of the time.) not something i'd necessarily call a decline.

the h2h vs federer is different in a lot of ways, but the turning point still was the same 2011 season. djokovic was trailing roger 6-13 by the end of 2010, then won 6 of the next 7 matches between the two. 2011 was the first year when federer couldn't win a gs since he won his first, so you can call it the beginning of the end for him. but the bottom line is that djokovic found his winning formula vs both players in 2011.

my 2 cents on the goat debate: nadal is the undisputed clay goat, but he's not even a top10 ever on any other surface. everything else is debatable. goat will be decided when all 3 retire. if i had to pick one goat for grass, it's between sampras and federer, with borg at 3rd. djokovic for indoor, federer or djokovic for outdoor hard courts. federer and sampras are easy top10 ever players on 2 surfaces, probably only borg compares. serve: sampras or ivanisevic. volley: sampras or rafter. return: djokovic or agassi. weird, unexpected & brilliant shots: santoro. :tuttosport:

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
my goat is sampras, so i couldn't care less about this current goat debate, i'll leave it to those who enjoy baseline tennis :p still, djokovic raised his game for 2011 and is rightfully belongs to the same tier as federer or nadal.

djokovic had to overcome nadal's 16-7 lead (that was the biggest diff between them in '10) and eventually overtook nadal in their h2h at the beginning of 2016. 2010 was easily nadal's best year, and he lost next season's h2h 0-6. we can safely say that djokovic dominated their rivalry since 2011. if you still consider 2016 as the turning point (which actually happened years earlier), then declining nadal still won 6 gs trophies (4 rg's) and spent zero weeks outside of the top10 ever since. (he was in the top3 for most of the time.) not something i'd necessarily call a decline.

the h2h vs federer is different in a lot of ways, but the turning point still was the same 2011 season. djokovic was trailing roger 6-13 by the end of 2010, then won 6 of the next 7 matches between the two. 2011 was the first year when federer couldn't win a gs since he won his first, so you can call it the beginning of the end for him. but the bottom line is that djokovic found his winning formula vs both players in 2011.

my 2 cents on the goat debate: nadal is the undisputed clay goat, but he's not even a top10 ever on any other surface. everything else is debatable. goat will be decided when all 3 retire. if i had to pick one goat for grass, it's between sampras and federer, with borg at 3rd. djokovic for indoor, federer or djokovic for outdoor hard courts. federer and sampras are easy top10 ever players on 2 surfaces, probably only borg compares. serve: sampras or ivanisevic. volley: sampras or rafter. return: djokovic or agassi. weird, unexpected & brilliant shots: santoro. :tuttosport:
This reminds me of the basketball GOAT debate, when people erroneously claim that Lebron is the GOAT.

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
He already is the goat. The booing from the stands will be next level if he makes it to the next grand slam lol
Agree. An unpopular goat, though.

@IlCapitano Federer isn't even in the discussion for the goat title anymore, since he has a losing record in the head to head against both of them.
Also some statistic showed that he won 60 or 70% of his grand slams before the other two arrived on the scene, or before they become house hold names.
Also prime Nadal beat prime Federer on his on field at winbledon back in 2008.
I think that version of Nadal is the best version of any tennis player in history.
Sadly after his 2009 knee injury he would never reach that level again.

Also I am a Nadal fan and consider Nole the goat or soon to be GOAT. No biggie!
Sadly he has a sh**y character.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 50)