The Official Reggae Thread (7 Viewers)

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Reggae is one of the few music genres I simply don't like. Usually I can find something good in every genre, but with Reggae I was always even-hearted. There's too little versatility in it and it all seems quite repetative, like the same old beats over and over again.

Marko

GhostDog
May 1, 2006
Lee 'Scratch' Perry & Horace Andy.:juventus:

Well, I prefer reggae-dub so I recommend for the reggae (dub) beginners Andy's albums Good Vibes and In The Light Dub and Lee's Experryments At The Grassroots Of Dub.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Hehehe, you have a fine taste my mon :D Kickass backup band if I ever saw one.

Have you ever come to the Uppsala Reggae festival? Its the biggiest reggae shinding in whole of Europe. Cool as heck, worked there just to get free tickets and backstage access, pretty kickass hehe. The Gladiators are the coolest bunch evah, hehe.

The coolest summer I ever had was when I was 16, and since the festival is allways in Uppsala, but occasionally changes location, was once on a farm field like couple of 100 meters from my house, so all day I'm there listening to these artists, many whom I am discovering for the first time (my first Max Romeo experiene..."did he say he chases the devil to where????" :D), and when I went to sleep, it was so close I still heard it all, falling asleep to hearing Barrington levy singing sweet sweet sensimilla...:cool:

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Yes I've been to the festival, namely in 2006. It was the best line up ever in my opinion. On Thursday I met the late Joseph Hill of Culture, may he rest in peace and I got a photo with him. Then I saw them perform live in probably one of the last concerts they ever performed. Great music.

But that was absolutely nothing compared to what happened on Saturday. First we had the best festival party I've ever had in my life with the nicest bunch of people in one of Uppsala's finest spots. Then we head to the festival to watch the evening start with Don Carlos. After the legend's concert The Congos perform and the evening's last was Groundation :touched:

During the Groundation concert they called up Don Carlos and Cedric Myton. It was a great moment for me seeing three of my favourite reggae artists perform on one stage. Of course they pulled off some tunes from Hebron Gate, to me it's probably the greatest reggae album ever produced.

On Satyurday they start with a tribute to the great Desmond Dekker where again Groundation, Don Carlos and The Congos sing.

Svenska Akademien performed in the tent also.

And the festival was crowned by Sizzla.

I don't think I will ever enjoy such a line up again.

Sep 1, 2002
Jack the Spliffer, thanks for the tune, and that was some festival you were on.

Can't compete with that, but I did once see these in action:

What do you think as that as a theme song for some around here?

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Sep 1, 2002
Does anyone out there remember a song about -I think- Raster Ossie going up a hill (or something like that) to pay his grocery bill?

It has been bugging me all day, as I can't quite remember the words or tune: can't even remember if I like it.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Does anyone out there remember a song about -I think- Raster Ossie going up a hill (or something like that) to pay his grocery bill?

It has been bugging me all day, as I can't quite remember the words or tune: can't even remember if I like it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)