The Official Olof Mellberg Thread (46 Viewers)

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
So you can't blame anyone in the team because it's not their fault if the coach puts them in the starting eleven :D

I pity Mellberg though. He has been one of the most decent defensive elements of our team this season and now he's getting slaughtered for a mistake which practically didn't cost us anything. People had taken beating Inter, Genoa and Milan for granted not to mention the so called "easy matches" which have never been certain three points for us this season. We lost our Scudetto aspirations far-back when we failed to beat Lazio in the day Inter was humiliated in Bergamo.

If, before the Chievo match, we'd had the chance to win the title, now two less points wouldn't make much difference.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
But it's always the same.

Chiellini made a bad mistake, Del Piero and Trez missed chances, but these get overlooked for the most obvious mistake.

dogsarecute

Aug 7, 2008
The defenders were not really bad. The first goal came from a deflected cross while the second was a screamer. Against Lazio, the first goal was another great placed shot while the second was deflected. They might have closed down the attacker faster but in normal circumstances those shots would not be goals. The performance could have been better, but it is by no means bad. I wonder why the defence is backing off so much nowadays instead of challenging for the ball.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
icεmαή;1970032 said:
He has been just a few notches below Chiellini this season...
and that tells a lot about expierienced EPL and Sweden NT defender, that he is below (and i`d say not just a few notches) guy, who has been playing in center just for two seasons. talent is talent and stuff, but i expected so much more from Mellberg.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
If we sign Canna, then why did we signed Mellberg for???
Legro and Mellberg all decent back up choice, but where is the quality CB that will form a partnership with Chiellini and the core of our defense for the future competitive Juve??
Is this going to be Criscito??
Then why are we signing Canna too? Since we already have 2 subs for two positions?

I think that we will give Andrade's salary to Canna and replace Knezevic with Criscito. But if Criscito will not be guaranteed more playing time than Legro, Mellberg and Canna, he might return at all...

I wonder what were we thinking when we were signing Mellberg?
That he is going to be a class starter, or that we will pay Criscito's half one more time when he is ready and sign one more free CB for free that would pit him last in the pecking order...

Do our BOD has any kind of planning for the future or they just pick random players?

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
and that tells a lot about expierienced EPL and Sweden NT defender, that he is below (and i`d say not just a few notches) guy, who has been playing in center just for two seasons. talent is talent and stuff, but i expected so much more from Mellberg.
Chiellini is our starter CB, so he has to be better than Mellberg... Just because you are an experienced player doesn't make you good... For his first season at Juve, Mellberg has been a very good player... He was supposed to fill in from the bench for us and he has done that admirably.. He is not a disastrous signing as many of the people make him out to be..

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
If we sign Canna, then why did we signed Mellberg for???
Legro and Mellberg all decent back up choice, but where is the quality CB that will form a partnership with Chiellini and the core of our defense for the future competitive Juve??
Is this going to be Criscito??
Then why are we signing Canna too? Since we already have 2 subs for two positions?

I think that we will give Andrade's salary to Canna and replace Knezevic with Criscito. But if Criscito will not be guaranteed more playing time than Legro, Mellberg and Canna, he might return at all...

I wonder what were we thinking when we were signing Mellberg?
That he is going to be a class starter, or that we will pay Criscito's half one more time when he is ready and sign one more free CB for free that would pit him last in the pecking order...

Do our BOD has any kind of planning for the future or they just pick random players?
I have a feeling he will be simply filling in between RB and CB. Depending on what we do with either zebina, grygera and who is brought in. At RB Olof is the best option we have, that was best demonstrated in the Chelsea games where he completely shut out Anelka.

Enoran

Nov 3, 2007
My guess is that if Criscito is bought back, it is with the LB position in mind. While he can cover the CB position in times of needs.

Canna is a quick fix to stabilise the backline. After next season, the board will probably get that WC CB to join that steady trio at the back imo. And i hope that trio dun include Grygera.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 46)