The Official Olof Mellberg Thread (2 Viewers)

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
Why are you defending Mellberg where he is to be blamed 87% on the goal?
i am not defending mellberg per se...

i'm just saying that there was little he could do, from the moment on when gila took the ball on his chest...

i do not talk about the whole game ... just this situation where gila scored because it is the only situation i could review well on the highlights

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
If there is no way to get the ball from behind of the forward than you shouldn't be behind him when he is in 5 meters from the goal with the ball, in other words he should prevent Gila from getting the ball in this position.
did you ever play football ?

ever heard about the rule that the defender has to be between the attacker and the goal ?

in cases where the ball is longer in the air you can step forward and try to intercept the ball but you have to be 100% sure, because if you miss the ball the attacker is free on goal ... sry, but don't talk if you did never play football ...

this are basic things that are taught to the smallest kids in soccer so not any high tactic ...

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
All you who have been bashing mellberg for the second goal should go out on a pitch and play football.

i only did see the replay of the goal in the highlights and once the ball got to gilas chest (?) there was absolutely nothing you would have done in mellbergs place ...

he jugles the ball from his right sight to the left and then finished volley ... what spiderman do you want to be to take the ball away from a player who juggles the ball with the back towards you ...

would it have been outside the box you could push him a bit with your body, but inside the box THIS referee would gladly have given a penalty ...

stop playing fm08 and pes 2008 and put your football shoes on and do it better ...

it was just a class move from gila and in that position even nesta couldn't do anything without risking a penalty

what legs do have defenders in your fantasy that you can kick the ball away with the strikers body guarding it ...
:tup:

The main mistake for the goal was that the ball was allowed to reach Gilardino in the box. Gila took it brilliantly and left Mellberg with almost no chance to stop him.

He should have stood a few decimetres to his left, in order to force Gilardino to the right. But yes, it is not an easy situation and one that a central defender should not be put in, and on top of that Legro could have done better on the header right before.

Unfortunately for Olof, he is an easy pick.
Yeah, if you are being ultra critical of Mellberg, he should have tried to push Gila wider and so his positioning was a fraction off.

delpierofan82

Apr 24, 2005
did you ever play football ?

ever heard about the rule that the defender has to be between the attacker and the goal ?

in cases where the ball is longer in the air you can step forward and try to intercept the ball but you have to be 100% sure, because if you miss the ball the attacker is free on goal ... sry, but don't talk if you did never play football ...

this are basic things that are taught to the smallest kids in soccer so not any high tactic ...
So from your words it seems that there was no way to prevent this goal :lol: it seems very funny don't you think??? I'm sorry but it is his responsibility despite the rules that you are trying to explain :D

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
So from your words it seems that there was no way to prevent this goal :lol: it seems very funny don't you think??? I'm sorry but it is his responsibility despite the rules that you are trying to explain :D
no it is not funny ... perhaps funny for some drunk football fans that know beer drinking better than playing football by theirselves.

if you would draw a statistic it would show that probably 80% (estimated) of the situations in which the striker gets the ball so close to the goal on his chest, will result in a goal ...

furthermore it is funny that you bash mellberg for not stopping the player who was to be marked by legro ... but ok .. you like legro more so you bash mellberg for not stopping a player he was not assigned to.

it's bad luck for mellberg that he stood closer to gila, then legro (whos task it originally was) ...

delpierofan82

Apr 24, 2005
no it is not funny ... perhaps funny for some drunk football fans that know beer drinking better than playing football by theirselves.

if you would draw a statistic it would show that probably 80% (estimated) of the situations in which the striker gets the ball so close to the goal on his chest, will result in a goal ...

furthermore it is funny that you bash mellberg for not stopping the player who was to be marked by legro ... but ok .. you like legro more so you bash mellberg for not stopping a player he was not assigned to.

it's bad luck for mellberg that he stood closer to gila, then legro (whos task it originally was) ...
It doesn't matter whom I like more, believe me and if you want to know I don't like them both, but I'm talking about the specific situation when Mellberg was marking Gila in that moment and not the general tasks of these players, so in that moment he was responsable for that shot from Gila and as a result for that goal, That's all.

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
so you're defending him, but you're not defending him?
i defend him in this special situation but do not defend him in general ...

just after reviewing the goal again i say there is no chance for mellberg to block the shot ... gila only touches the ball once to get it to his left and then has to throw himself down like a tackle to reach the ball with the pike of his toe ... mellberg had to have 3 meter legs to prevent that ... and don't try to tell me that you can prevent a striker to have one touch on the ball ... after the initial touch the ball was out of the reach of mellberg ... besides the defense looked like a bunch of crazy chickens running around ... nedved was on the inside and grygera on the outside ...

http://www.d1g.com/video/show/?id=2237482

just refresh your memory

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Although i disagree with v1rtu4l's argumentation, that nay non football expert, or professional footballer shouldnt have any opinion and judge Mellberg on this.
A line of argumentations that contradicts his presence/efforts here and the very existence of this forum.
I do have to agree with his argument that Mellberg couldnt possibly prevent Gila to shoot from there!

Mellberg simply couldnt react fast enough, his speed and response time wouldnt allows that!
He is not that fast and despite him precise to his interventions, he seriously lacks smth that other exp CBs have, esp at his age. And thats what i call tactical awareness of the situation.
That includes many things and its smth you have, or not.
This is smth Chiellini has, Legro hadnt but has grown to learn after his 30s,
but Grygera, Molinaro and Mellberg simply havent.
And thats what i said what i first saw him playing with our jersey, what i said when i saw him with his NT, thats what i said at the pre season matches.
And this is what i see at the first "official" matches of the season.
Up until now, i hoped that Mellberg is better than that and he only need more time to adapt, because this certain position needs more adaptation time than any other position on the field, if you ask me.
When i quoted my self and Jack and Ahmed made a pathetic attempt to lough of at my, o was qouting the signs i saw before and the deeds we saw right then!

Mellberg is a decent tool, but he is by no means a man to lead our defense,
he is a player that always performs at a certain level, doing his duty, nothing more and nothing less, he cant lead a defense, unlike Legro, he has not the courage to draw back and play as the last line of defense, because he has no tactical awareness, he can not "see" the dangers before it shapes right upfront his eyes.
He is not a player to make a blatant mistake or a miracle save, he is a typical, average quality (for this level) CB.
So, the goal was not his mistake, a "gifted" defender, with some vision could possibly find his way into a place able to stop Gila, positioning his body at the right time and at the right moment, from there he might have more chances to intercept that ball, but from Mellberg's position, he would have as many chances as Mellberg...

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Look, Mellberg still allowed Gilardino to turn him and get a shot off. Being turned like that can be prevented. Mellberg's a big guy and could have imposed himself better.

That's it. It's his fault and also Grygera's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)