The Official Olof Mellberg Thread (43 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Mellberg is to blame partly for that goal.He doesnt deserve shit for it,but it does ruin a good game for him.
I don't know whether it was Villa's brilliant first touch or Mellberg's stride being too long that was the fault of that goal. Truth is that might have made anyone look foolish.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
I don't know whether it was Villa's brilliant first touch or Mellberg's stride being too long that was the fault of that goal. Truth is that might have made anyone look foolish.
Villa was simply too quick for Mellberg.But he could have done better there IMO.I wont give him too much crap though.He had a good game.Its just that this puts a little blemish on it.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
also David Villa is a world class striker. Even the likes of Vidic, Terry and Chiellini would have trouble defending against a determined Villa.

francesco

Till death do us part!
Jul 25, 2006
also David Villa is a world class striker. Even the likes of Vidic, Terry and Chiellini would have trouble defending against a determined Villa.
i like how you consider Chiellini to be as good as Terry and Vidic. A leading star or the future! i think he would form a great CB partnership with Olof.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
I think Chiellini is still a bit raw and not completely on the level of guys like Vidic. I think that by another year he will become THE defender in Italy as opposed to just a defender.

Melberg-Chiellini doesn't look too bad at all :)

Joaco

the cronopio
Dec 11, 2005
Mellberg was amazing the whole game, full command of the defensive line. He is partly to blame for the goal but the play was so fast and tricky.
Indeed, and Villa is a top class striker. He did a good match until the goal. I hope he can do the same at Juve

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I Can't Wait To Start - Mellberg
New Juventus defender Olf Mellberg cannot wait to get started and he is looking forward to his new adventure with the Old Lady.

The Sweden stopper was knocked out of the Euro’s along with the rest of his team after their failure to beat Russia in their final group game on Wednesday night.

Mellberg has already put his Euro torment behind him and he is looking forward to his new challenge with La Vecchia Signora.

“I can’t wait to start with Juventus,” Mellberg told Sky Sport Italia.

“I will be in Turin in around three weeks for the start of the pre-season.

“I spoke to Ranieri before the end of last season and I can’t wait to meet him.

“I am happy that I will get the chance to play with Del Piero as well as all my other new team mates.

“This is a world class team.”

The Swede signed for Juve from Premier League club Aston Villa on a free transfer earlier this year and he will be a welcome addition to the side as they continue to strengthen for next season’s Champions League.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Indeed, atleast for Mellberg, dont recall Amauri having much of that except little bits.

Compared to for example Mellberg in this pic, who even has had way more bushier beard then this at times, total viking hehe:

He'll join Chiellini in showing the no holds barred bloody warrior style of defending too.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah, A Chiellini-Melberg partnership is going to be a physical domination type of game. and his height next to Chiellini means we won't get dominated in aerial balls either.

May 3, 2008
(It's me, the Villa fan again!)

I hope you liked what you saw off Mellberg at the Euro's. I don't think he was at his best personally, hardly breath-taking performances, but he did all he was asked to do against Greece, had a good game against Spain and against Russia he was nothing special.

I'm sure once he plays enough games for your club and gets used to his CB pairing (If he starts for you, that is) then he'll be a class act for you. He did a very good job against two of the best strikers in the World vs Spain, so he'll be able to cope with the top strikers in Serie A, and I'm sure from training at Sweden he'll know Zlatans game inside out for when you play Inter. I think the Russia game was his worst performance, but Stoor, the RB, was very bad and it left Mellberg exposed and in trouble alot of the time.

Anyways, good luck to Olly and Juve next season!

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Thank you Kurt for your time, i hope that Mellberg can do better than that, we need him to help us in the CL, our wingbacks are still very weak too, that means our CBs will have to cover their mistakes.
I see that Mellberg needed that next step in his carrier and i hope that he will be motivated and focused enough to give his best!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 43)