.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter #1,602
    The Diaz bros. are both underachieving talents

They really are who we thought they are

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
    I'm still kicking myself for not throwing a bit of cash down on Diaz, think it was about 4:1?

After I watched the pre-fight press conference, well, Nate Diaz was just the much bigger guy, watching that. Couldn't help but think McGregor might have some trouble with the matchup. Hard to go up, what, 2 weight classes, on short notice...

Would be an interesting rematch at 155, McGregor did split him open fairly early, and I think he could learn from his mistakes. What I certainly didn't see coming was Tate submitting Holm in the 5th. That was a great fight, with a tremendous finish.

OP
    .zero

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter #1,604
    The only person that comes to mind when people jump weight classes is the great BJ Penn

catch22

Aug 23, 2015
    I'm still kicking myself for not throwing a bit of cash down on Diaz, think it was about 4:1?

After I watched the pre-fight press conference, well, Nate Diaz was just the much bigger guy, watching that. Couldn't help but think McGregor might have some trouble with the matchup. Hard to go up, what, 2 weight classes, on short notice...

Would be an interesting rematch at 155, McGregor did split him open fairly early, and I think he could learn from his mistakes. What I certainly didn't see coming was Tate submitting Holm in the 5th. That was a great fight, with a tremendous finish.

It was essentially a fight at 155, but without weight cutting. If they fought at 155 they both would have rehydrated to about 170. People are forgetting that Conor even when he was fighting at 145 typically walked around in mid 160's. Whereas Nate probably walks around at about 170-175

The reality is that Conor is a absolutely massive 145er. A weight class he probably cannot continue to fight at for that much longer without having long-term repercussions for his health. Eventually Conor will a 155er which is his natural weight class. Whereas Nate is a big 155er who has fought at 170, but is undersized for that division

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
    It was essentially a fight at 155, but without weight cutting. If they fought at 155 they both would have rehydrated to about 170. People are forgetting that Conor even when he was fighting at 145 typically walked around in mid 160's. Whereas Nate probably walks around at about 170-175

The reality is that Conor is a absolutely massive 145er. A weight class he probably cannot continue to fight at for that much longer without having long-term repercussions for his health. Eventually Conor will a 155er which is his natural weight class. Whereas Nate is a big 155er who has fought at 170, but is undersized for that division
    McGregor is a very big 145, for sure. Great reach, great build, explosive.

Of course they rehydrate to a heavier weight, that's the case in all fighting mediums. I'm not forgetting that.

Diaz weighed in a pound heavier, but at this point I think he's used to being heavier. I think he probably walks around about 5-10 lbs heavier than you suggest, but that's just a guess based upon where he ended up. To my eye, he looked significantly bigger (super scientific eye test).

Like he said in the presser, he came in 'fat, off the beach in Cabo'. Was reading some of his history pre-fight, also just checked wiki, and in 2014 he was removed from the lightweight rankings because of inactivity. He missed making his weight against Dos Anjos in December of that year, ended up at about 160 lbs. They gave him another chance to make the cut, and he declined, didn't even try, and had to give up 20% of his earnings from the fight.

So I don't think it's thaaaat easy for him to cut his weight to that range.

As for talking about McGregor not being able to fight in that 145 range much longer, he doesn't seem to have a problem with the salads. :D

Do you think cutting weight would have more negative health consequences for him than moving up in class, and taking heavier shots from heavier men? There's a trade off there, and him crushing the competition in featherweight could very likely be less taxing on his body than taking a lot of heavier shots from heavier men.

catch22

Aug 23, 2015
    Kidney issues vs head trauma. Neither one sounds fun.

As for Diaz, he is a lean dude. A vegan. I'm sure he smokes weed and pigs out on snacks when he isn't fighting, but I don't think he gets that heavy. Most 170 pound fighters walk around at about 190 (unless your Johnny Hendricks and walk around at 205). Most 155ers walk around at about 170-175. However, it is those bulkier guys that can cut more water weight and walk around at heavier weight because muscle has a much higher water content than fat. Look at all the guys who cut lots of weight(Hendricks, Rumble in the old days, Gleeson Tibau etc) they're the bulky guys, not the lean muscle guys. Anyway, that's why Nate has struggled to make make in the past because lean guys do struggle more with weight cutting (plus he has had motivation issues). Also, it was clear Nate wasn't cutting much weight because you could tell from the videos from the day before the weigh in that he wasn't working on getting a sweat up or anything. He probably cut less than 5 pounds. Conor obviously didn't cut any. If Nate had a normal camp was trying to make weight for a 155 fight he probably would have been about 5-7 pounds lighter during fight week.

So the difference between them fighting at 155 vs 170 was probably Nate carrying about 5 pounds more. However, if they were fighting at 155 Conor would have weighed exactly the same in the ring. Maybe a pound or two lighter. I don't think Conor would be unaccustomed to fighting at that weight because he would normally train for his 145 fights at about 165.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    McGregor is a very big 145, for sure. Great reach, great build, explosive.

Of course they rehydrate to a heavier weight, that's the case in all fighting mediums. I'm not forgetting that.

Diaz weighed in a pound heavier, but at this point I think he's used to being heavier. I think he probably walks around about 5-10 lbs heavier than you suggest, but that's just a guess based upon where he ended up. To my eye, he looked significantly bigger (super scientific eye test).

Like he said in the presser, he came in 'fat, off the beach in Cabo'. Was reading some of his history pre-fight, also just checked wiki, and in 2014 he was removed from the lightweight rankings because of inactivity. He missed making his weight against Dos Anjos in December of that year, ended up at about 160 lbs. They gave him another chance to make the cut, and he declined, didn't even try, and had to give up 20% of his earnings from the fight.

So I don't think it's thaaaat easy for him to cut his weight to that range.

As for talking about McGregor not being able to fight in that 145 range much longer, he doesn't seem to have a problem with the salads. :D

Do you think cutting weight would have more negative health consequences for him than moving up in class, and taking heavier shots from heavier men? There's a trade off there, and him crushing the competition in featherweight could very likely be less taxing on his body than taking a lot of heavier shots from heavier men.
    Now that you can't use IVs for re-hydration yes. Look at Wideman, eventually that will be Conor. But in a few years, not right away.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
    Kidney issues vs head trauma. Neither one sounds fun.

As for Diaz, he is a lean dude. A vegan. I'm sure he smokes weed and pigs out on snacks when he isn't fighting, but I don't think he gets that heavy. Most 170 pound fighters walk around at about 190 (unless your Johnny Hendricks and walk around at 205). Most 155ers walk around at about 170-175. However, it is those bulkier guys that can cut more water weight and walk around at heavier weight because muscle has a much higher water content than fat. Look at all the guys who cut lots of weight(Hendricks, Rumble in the old days, Gleeson Tibau etc) they're the bulky guys, not the lean muscle guys. Anyway, that's why Nate has struggled to make make in the past because lean guys do struggle more with weight cutting (plus he has had motivation issues). Also, it was clear Nate wasn't cutting much weight because you could tell from the videos from the day before the weigh in that he wasn't working on getting a sweat up or anything. He probably cut less than 5 pounds. Conor obviously didn't cut any. If Nate had a normal camp was trying to make weight for a 155 fight he probably would have been about 5-7 pounds lighter during fight week.

So the difference between them fighting at 155 vs 170 was probably Nate carrying about 5 pounds more. However, if they were fighting at 155 Conor would have weighed exactly the same in the ring. Maybe a pound or two lighter. I don't think Conor would be unaccustomed to fighting at that weight because he would normally train for his 145 fights at about 165.
    I didn't know he was a vegan, that's interesting, and a little funny (the tough guy vegan angle).

Yeah, what I had read/seen from White, was that Nate asked for 165, and Conor replied, tell him 170 :D

:tup: about the bulkier guys and cutting weight. I do think Nate is a guy that could get up into the 180s pretty easily, it doesn't take long when that diet shifts (if he's got the sugar tooth). Motivation/discipline ftw!

Yore right, there would be no reason for Conor to really do much differently, considering the time table, and conditions.

Now that you can't use IVs for re-hydration yes. Look at Wideman, eventually that will be Conor. But in a few years, not right away.
    I had totally missed that. So a bunch of guys probably had to bump up in weight class? Nothing over 50ml, I wonder how they monitor that?

VuvuzelaBzz

Son of a Shepherd
    Jun 23, 2013
    Great top-bottom UFC card on tonight; lots of fun fighters and matchups, just no really high profile fight.

Also, my boy Duquesnoy got me hyped for the night with a sick finish in BAMMA. If you like to see top prospects coming up, check this out :D

[video=facebook;10153615703287285]https://www.facebook.com/BAMMAUK/videos/10153615703287285/[/video]

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
    Fuck Jones you are one stupid piece of shit. Have to feel sorry for Cormier even though i hate the guy. Dana must feel silly now kicking Conor off the card for missing a press conference what he would do now to have him back on it.

And fuck lesner being the main event. Hasnt thought in over 2 years aftsr back to back tko losses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)