The Official Italy WC Thread (5 Viewers)

isha00

Jun 24, 2003
I think that Fiore has watched the NT only on tv after his "Only Italian people should play for the NT" statement 2 years ago.

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
axlrose85 said:
fiore has been very good this season.he does deserve a place in the squad,even ahead of camoranesi.
what? :tdown: :disagree: fiore had a good first half of the season and down the stretch he hasn't played that well being subed off in important games.

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #25
    Matteo.. said:
    Don't quite agree. I think Italy will win, but it'll be hard fought game. The USA have improved a lot over the past few years and deserved to be in the semi-final in Japan/Korea.
    Essentially all our major players from 2002 are returning this summer in Germany, including the likes of Reyna, O'Brien, Donovan and McBride. Youngsters such as Donovan and Beasley have improved greatly over the years and now the likes of Onyewu and Dempsey have emerged as key members of our side. Azzurri fans should take note of those two latter players because both of them could play major roles this summer in Germany.

Onyewu will be the man who will mark Luca Toni, and he will certainly give the Italian a challenge because he's a quality marker and very strong and adept in the air. Not to mention Onyewu is 6 foot 5 if I remember correctly, always winning his aerial battles.

Dempsey is currently one of the fringe players in the first team, however he has had some amazing displays for our national team lately and is in incredible form. Every time I see him play he seems to improve greatly, and right now his confidence is soaring and he could be starting in a 5-man midfield for Bruce Arena. Dempsey has some slick moves and can cause almost any defender problems. Watch out for these guys.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    ---------------Buffon------------
    Oddo----Netsa-Cannavaro---Zambo
    -------------Gattuso-----------
    Camo-----------------De Rossi
    -------------Totti------------
    --------------------Del Piero
    -------------Toni

Thats how I'd like Italy's formation to look like.

Many of you will probably criticize my choice for choosing De Rossi and Gatusso both in the starting line up, But the thing is that De Rossi is the kind of player you wouldn't want to bench, he's good in attack and defending...and can combine well with his Roman player Totti. Having Gattuso there without attacking will just secure the midfield more. We don't need Gattuso to attack with that formation.

Having Totti and Del Piero is probably a dream, as many fans would love to see that, we didn't have the chance to see that alot under Trap. I'm pretty sure they can both work perfectly out there as Lippi knows exactly how to use Del Piero. Not to forget that having Totti-Del Piero together would probably mean putting Toni on a score-sheet and who knows maybe he can lead the sheet.

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
    Azzurri7 said:
    -------------Toni

Many of you will probably criticize my choice for choosing De Rossi and Gatusso both in the starting line up, But the thing is that De Rossi is the kind of player you wouldn't want to bench, he's good in attack and defending...and can combine well with his Roman player Totti. Having Gattuso there without attacking will just secure the midfield more. We don't need Gattuso to attack with that formation.

Having Totti and Del Piero is probably a dream, as many fans would love to see that, we didn't have the chance to see that alot under Trap. I'm pretty sure they can both work perfectly out there as Lippi knows exactly how to use Del Piero. Not to forget that having Totti-Del Piero together would probably mean putting Toni on a score-sheet.

nice posts homes. that would be close to my formation too, i dont think i would us del piero in that role, i would play him along side of toni giving totti more options. De rossi would be a great option if lippi started him, he can score and defend. He probably scored the best goal of the season, i forget who it was against but he cracked one from 25 yards outside the 18 yeard box( CRAZY GOAL). I probably would play pirlo instead of gattuso because he is so creative and a great skill to have on the field. and gattuso is more of a defensive styled player.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    Morra10 said:
    nice posts homes. that would be close to my formation too, i dont think i would us del piero in that role, i would play him along side of toni giving totti more options. De rossi would be a great option if lippi started him, he can score and defend. He probably scored the best goal of the season, i forget who it was against but he cracked one from 25 yards outside the 18 yeard box( CRAZY GOAL). I probably would play pirlo instead of gattuso because he is so creative and a great skill to have on the field. and gattuso is more of a defensive styled player.

TBH, I'm not afraid in what position to put Del Piero, I think he can perform good in any-position under Lippi. But also as you said It would be good Idea to play him alongside Toni.

I remmber the goal your talking about, that was one hell rocket and one of my fav this season.

Sure, Pirlo is class at times and got lot of skills to put them on the field but the problem is that he's too slow for a player in his position. No one can deny that his deadly passing and freekicks are superb, but lately he's not doing much with Milan since December and I can see other players doing better in his position.

Muha

The Head Physio
    Feb 25, 2004
    isha00 said:
    I think that Fiore has watched the NT only on tv after his "Only Italian people should play for the NT" statement 2 years ago.
    ..there is always a price to pay..

Manuel

Aug 8, 2003
    Andy said:
    Onyewu will be the man who will mark Luca Toni, and he will certainly give the Italian a challenge because he's a quality marker and very strong and adept in the air. Not to mention Onyewu is 6 foot 5 if I remember correctly, always winning his aerial battles.
    :disagree: The rest is true, but Onyewu a quality marker? That's not how I see him.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #31
    Bardock said:
    :disagree: The rest is true, but Onyewu a quality marker? That's not how I see him.
    When he plays for our national team he seems to mark rather well, actually. He totally marked Jared Borghetti out of the match the last time we played Mexico, as well as many others. I have not seen him play for Standard as of yet, however from what I have seen he looks like a good marker. Certainly more adept at that than tackling, in my opinion.

Manuel

Aug 8, 2003
    Andy said:
    When he plays for our national team he seems to mark rather well, actually. He totally marked Jared Borghetti out of the match the last time we played Mexico, as well as many others. I have not seen him play for Standard as of yet, however from what I have seen he looks like a good marker. Certainly more adept at that than tackling, in my opinion.
    Well he tackles like Montero at the end of his career, player first and ball second, if at all. :p Nah, he'll do that from time to time, but his tackling isn't that bad.
    Well it could be the formation and system he plays in at Standard that might make him look like a less then adequate marker. Could be that if you give Onyewu the assignement to manmark a specific player that he will be able to do it. But give him zonal marking and he won't be in a position to mark an opponent.
    Ofcourse his strength and height, indeed make him very hard to beat in the air, and he does have decent speed, especially for someone of his posture.

Juve_25

Jan 3, 2006
    Azzurri7 said:
    -------------Toni

What about pirlo Rab? IMO Pirlo is a guy who you can rarely notice when milan plays, but actually he is the motor of milan and without him you DO notice that he isn't in the field. I like alot pirlo, he is a fighter and he gives all for his team, more if its the NT. I would put him in place of De Rosi and I would rotate that midfield every game.

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
    Juve_25 said:
    What about pirlo Rab? IMO Pirlo is a guy who you can rarely notice when milan plays, but actually he is the motor of milan and without him you DO notice that he isn't in the field. I like alot pirlo, he is a fighter and he gives all for his team, more if its the NT. I would put him in place of De Rosi and I would rotate that midfield every game.

i like pirlo and de rossi and i think they should both start, I think he won't start gattuso, he didn't start him in the game against germany and it worked out nicely. I wouldn't rotate the midfield every game, these players don't play that often together on one team and i think they need to get into a rythem and get used to the system, before they try anything like that.

Juve_25

Jan 3, 2006
    Morra10 said:
    i like pirlo and de rossi and i think they should both start, I think he won't start gattuso, he didn't start him in the game against germany and it worked out nicely. I wouldn't rotate the midfield every game, these players don't play that often together on one team and i think they need to get into a rythem and get used to the system, before they try anything like that.
    True. I agree with you...

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    Azzurri7 said:
    TBH, I'm not afraid in what position to put Del Piero, I think he can perform good in any-position under Lippi. But also as you said It would be good Idea to play him alongside Toni.

I remmber the goal your talking about, that was one hell rocket and one of my fav this season.

Sure, Pirlo is class at times and got lot of skills to put them on the field but the problem is that he's too slow for a player in his position. No one can deny that his deadly passing and freekicks are superb, but lately he's not doing much with Milan since December and I can see other players doing better in his position.
    That was my post earlier, bro

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    Stephan said:
    and you think rino can do better?

Gattuso can do much better than Pirlo and probably than anyone when It comes to "Defending". Thats why I'm including De Rossi also in the line-up, thats because he's good in attackin and fast, unlike Pirlo who can kill a counter attack IMO.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
    pirlo is a good player, and his quality is to give a world class passes to forwards. look some milan games in cl and you understand, even in tightest moments his pass finds the striker.

camo is not in his best form either, if you add to that the way he has act in some games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)