The off topic thread (37 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 13, 2007
what petrol ???

Last time I checked, we were paying top dollar for gas, and if thats all we were after in Iraq, we would have already started taking it

Hell, all were doing is LOSING money with this war, and soldiers as well

We should receive some sort of compensation for freeing Iraq of Saddam.....
You must be the definition of American ignorance .

You can't be serious.
1-
How on earth is the United States government going to be able to end the Palestinian - Israeli conflict?
This war, all entities considered, has been going on for centuries, not just decades, over land that everybody over there believes is their own. This struggle started way before the Holocaust. The US may not be helping matters with funding the IDF and supplying them weapons, but how on earth is the US going to cause such people to come to a peace accord? Hell, this struggle for the "promised land" was one of the banes to humanity before the USA was even established. So I think you are very wrong in saying the United States could end this struggle with a few billions... unless we take over Canada and let the Jews live there.

2-
The States are not ruled by the Jews. However, after World War II it was our obligation to help Israeli, whether it be right or wrong.

3-
I'm sorry, but your thinking is flawed. Why do you think everybody hates Real Madrid and Milan? Why do you think many people around the world hate citizens such as Donald Trump, or other millionaires? The United States has done injustices in the past indeed, but not all the hate stems from those injustices. In South America, many think that our economic system screws them over, yet we bring them jobs that they couldn't provide themselves. In Thailand many thought, due to ridiculous media articles, that the Tsunami was created by a nuclear blast that was carried out by the United States. How absurd is that?
4-
The current government of my nation are criminals in my opinion, but take a broader look across the globe. Look at all the corrupt governments in place. From Africa, to Asia, to Eastern Europe, you cannot even count how many governments are corrupted. It's just that since the US is the most powerful nation in the world, this country gets all the blame.When probably we should be blaming humanity instead, as humanity is naturally greedy, whether white, black, red, yellow or brown.

So you think I adhere to what the media in my country tells me. Thanks, but you don't know shit about me. We're not all the same over here, you know.

1- Well you actually said it yourself , by not supplying Israel with weapons ....
They can end it so easilly , They have the power to , so why not ? instead they let thousands of people suffer every day ..

4-
Yes Blame Humanity for killing thousands of civillians in Iraq for petrol . Americans elected bush and re-elected him , so please don't tell me it wasn't America's fault , it was bush's fault .

2-If thinking that lets you sleep at night , go for it !

3-
America have the most technically advanced weapons in the world yet they can't even get a decent voting system .
All humanity naturally greeds ? So your telling me it's okay for America to go in and destroy weaker and poorer nations because ... hey that's humanity .
Out of all the excuses ive ever heard this has to be the dumbest .

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
ßömßäяdîëя;1428132 said:
I agreed with you until right here.

Should we only allow "smart" people to vote?

Or those that you and the rest of the world tend to agree with?

No, that's not what America is about.....

I hate the republican way of thinking, and I hate idiots that vote that way and don't know Tbilisi, Georgia from Atlanta, Georgia, but hey, that is out country.

We are a lot of idiots.

The only thing I can do is vote my way....and cancel Vinni out.
I don't think you fully understand what I'm on about. It's not about allowing certain people to vote. It's about creating an objective standard people should meet. Such as being able to tell you what a candidate is willing to do concerning the health care system for instance. You know, just the basics. Everyone who would meet the standard, would be allowed to vote.

Apr 12, 2004
I don't think you fully understand what I'm on about. It's not about allowing certain people to vote. It's about creating an objective standard people should meet. Such as being able to tell you what a candidate is willing to do concerning the health care system for instance. You know, just the basics. Everyone who would meet the standard, would be allowed to vote.
Well we have something like that.....it's called citizenship.

And fuck, 3/4's of those don't even vote.

It's only the people that care that vote anyway. The clowns don't even bother with it half of the time.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
You're missing one important issue here:

It doesn't happen in other rich countries. Yes, it happens in Ethiopia, yes it happens in America, but it just doesn't happen in Germany, Switzerland or even the United Kingdom.

You see, every, every, every European will be able to locate Greece or Italy on a world map. I wonder if you could say the same about every American.
I've been to Europe enough times and know enough Europeans to tell you that you are talking out of your ass, Seven. Your idyllic view of the flawless and unfailing educational system of European nations (not to mention the quality of their infrastructure), and the richly educated and astute political educations of all its citizens, indicates that you've been drinking a wee bit too much of your own rhetorical Kool-Aid to separate truth from generalization from reality.

But you make a good public relations TV commercial for the E.U. -- I'll give you that much.

Apr 12, 2004
It doesn't happen in other rich countries. Yes, it happens in Ethiopia, yes it happens in America, but it just doesn't happen in Germany, Switzerland or even the United Kingdom.

You see, every, every, every European will be able to locate Greece or Italy on a world map. I wonder if you could say the same about every American
Yea, but Hector.....you live in a country the size of New Jersey. I bet you EVERY EVERY EVERY New Jerseyian can locate New Hapshire and Ohio on a map.

Can every Waffle eater?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I've been to Europe enough times and know enough Europeans to tell you that you are talking out of your ass, Seven. Your idyllic view of the flawless and unfailing educational system of European nations (not to mention the quality of their infrastructure), and the richly educated and astute political educations of all its citizens, indicates that you've been drinking a wee bit too much of your own rhetorical Kool-Aid to separate truth from generalization from reality.

But you make a good public relations TV commercial for the E.U. -- I'll give you that much.
Oh come on. Every fucking European can locate Greece. At least, every adult European. Besides, I never really said anything about the European educational system. I only talked about the Belgian educational system. But I guess that's all the same for you.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
ßömßäяdîëя;1428146 said:
Yea, but Hector.....you live in a country the size of New Jersey. I bet you EVERY EVERY EVERY New Jerseyian can locate New Hapshire and Ohio on a map.

Can every Waffle eater?
But those aren't countries. You don't get the point. Greece is a nation. Ohio is not.

Apr 12, 2004
But those aren't countries. You don't get the point. Greece is a nation. Ohio is not.
No, I do understand your point, I just don't agree with it.

I'm just saying that the US is bigger than the whole of Europe.

So trying to find Greece on a map is like trying to find Ohio because of relative geography and size.

Belgium is close to Greece, you should know your neighbors, The same is true here for say....states.

Jun 13, 2007
Oh come on. Every fucking European can locate Greece. At least, every adult European. Besides, I never really said anything about the European educational system. I only talked about the Belgian educational system. But I guess that's all the same for you.
Americans will think this is a generelization , but it really isn't . I have yet to meet an American who knows where my country is located , i have yet to meet a european , asian , spanish person who doesn't know where lebanon is .

The fact is America think they are the world , and nothing else exists , obviously there are exceptions , but the General public in America do think that .

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
ßömßäяdîëя;1428158 said:

So trying to find Greece on a map is like trying to find Ohio because of relative geography and size.

Belgium is close to Greece, you should know your neighbors, The same is true here for say....states.
No it's not. Ohio does not have the same international rights as Greece FFS. Oh, and for the love of God, Belgium is NOT close to Greece. And they're most definitely not our neighbours. There's 2740 km between Antwerp and Athens.

Jun 13, 2007
ßömßäяdîëя;1428158 said:

That would make china and canada superior to the states ?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
"Every" is a monstrous word, Andries. It's hard enough for any nation to claim that every citizen is literate no matter what the GNP. Claiming a level of geographical and political understanding is an even further degree.

It's not something I even question. I just know a sweeping statement like that is wrong on so many levels, even just on a statistical basis.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
"Every" is a monstrous word, Andries. It's hard enough for any nation to claim that every citizen is literate no matter what the GNP. Claiming a level of geographical and political understanding is an even further degree.

It's not something I even question. I just know a sweeping statement like that is wrong on so many levels, even just on a statistical basis.

If it's this you're on about, yes, you're absolutely right. But do consider the consequences of this sort of reasoning. We'd be adding nuances in every sentence.

Let's say it like this then:

Most Europeans know where to find Greece. Lots of Americans don't have a clue.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
*sigh*

If it's this your on about, yes, you're absolutely right. But do consider the consequences of this sort of reasoning. We'd be adding nuances in every sentence.

Let's say it like this then:

Most Europeans know where to find Greece. Lots of Americans don't have a clue.
As a generalization, I would agree with that statement. But two things:

1. Of course Europeans are going to know where Greece is more than Americans do. Forgetting even common political, sports, and other constructs they share in common with Greece, they're even practically in the same time zone -- unlike Americans. Maybe Utah isn't on the same world political level of Greece, but I bet you (without supporting data) Americans have a much better geographic sense of where Mexico is relative to Europeans. But that doesn't tell us anything, really.

2. As a general rule, American geographical knowledge is pretty piss poor. It's not something that's required or emphasized much in the educational system, nor typically in practical matters of life. But I'd be curious to see some comparative data here.

Europeans have been conditioned over generations to look to near borders for language and cultural rifts, international economic ties, and the potential for military harm or alliance in defense. Most Americans have lived in the luxury of isolationism. I partly suspect that it oddly puts the geographical awareness of the average Chinese citizen in similar territory for similar reasons (though with different causes/roots).

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Americans will think this is a generelization , but it really isn't . I have yet to meet an American who knows where my country is located , i have yet to meet a european , asian , spanish person who doesn't know where lebanon is .

The fact is America think they are the world , and nothing else exists , obviously there are exceptions , but the General public in America do think that .
I'm American, I know where Lebanon is located. I know where Beirut, Tyre, Tripoli and Sidon are located. Hi, nice to meet you.

Apr 12, 2004
No it's not. Ohio does not have the same international rights as Greece FFS. Oh, and for the love of God, Belgium is NOT close to Greece. And they're most definitely not our neighbours. There's 2740 km between Antwerp and Athens.
I KNOW FUCKSTICK!

I said in relative geography. In terms of distance the vector takes, it's the same or approx the same.

Antwerp to Athens = Trenton to Columbus

I talking distance, not nations, dickless.
That would make china and canada superior to the states ?
In terms of cheap labour, chinamen, rice and French speakers, yes.

I'm American, I know where Lebanon is located. I know where Beirut, Tyre, Tripoli and Sidon are located. Hi, nice to meet you.
I still don't know if you qualify.

Hector Waffles is just close minded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 37)