The Nike - Tamoil Controversy (1 Viewer)

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
As many of you must have noticed, the Champions league jerseys don't have the Nike swoosh.

Heres the reason

Juve's shirts for Europe's premier club competition feature the logo of Tamoil - a Libyan-owned company.

American sportswear manufacturers Nike say they cannot produce replica shirts featuring the Tamoil logo due to United States sanctions against the North African country.

"Nike Inc. cannot produce, distribute or sell Juventus Football Club uniforms with the Tamoil logo on it, because Tamoil is listed as a prohibited entity in the sanctions regulations," said Charlie Brooks, spokesman for Nike in Europe.

The new Nike Juve kit for the domestic Serie A championship, featuring a return to traditional narrow stripes and white shorts, is available as it is sponsored by an Italian company Fastweb.

Juve wore Tamoil-sponsored shirts in last year's Champions League but as they were produced by Italian company, Lotto, the sanctions did not have an impact.

Since 1986 United States citizens and companies have had trade and commerce with Libya restricted by sanctions.

Nike's decision means Juve will lose a big share of the merchandising market in North Africa where the club enjoys huge popularity.

Al-Saadi Gaddafi, son of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, is a member of Juve's board and the Libyan company LAFICO has a 7.5 percent share in the Turin club.

i personally think its pathetic. :groan:

Buy on AliExpress.com

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Could we please have a source? Not that I don't believe it... just wondering where it's form...

What stupid business football has become...

I guess the US would have something against them, after the Pan Am Lockerbie bombings... though it's silly how this has anything to do with football...

Juventino

Jul 27, 2002
++ [ originally posted by G_O_A_T ] ++
Its not pathetic, its the law. If they did sponsor us in the CL they'd get a big fine.
It's pathetic cause US use 2 faces for this so called LAW!

Iraq and Libya have been voted by the UN off the economic and trade sanction list with the blessing of US , according to CNN. Iraq was taken off by the order of the USA and Libya for paying $2.5 Billion for its role in Lokerby 747 bombing.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Juventino ] ++

It's pathetic cause US use 2 faces for this so called LAW!

Iraq and Libya have been voted by the UN off the economic and trade sanction list with the blessing of US , according to CNN. Iraq was taken off by the order of the USA and Libya for paying $2.5 Billion for its role in Lokerby 747 bombing.
I think one of the reasons that there's still a grudge is that Qadhafi denies responsibility. Under the Libyan offer, each victim was to receive $10 million: $4 million to be paid when UN sanctions are lifted; $4 million once US sanctions are lifted; and $2 million when the United States takes Libya off the State Department’s list of state sponsors of terrorism. Despite the compensation offer, Libya’s head of state Colonel Qadhafi refuses to accept personal responsibility for the Lockerbie bombing. The Libyan leader has had a deep of the United States and compared America to Nazi Germany.

There are also the issues of WMD in Libya, as well as state-sponsored terrorism.

It's sad though, that all this extends into the world of sport.

Juventino

Jul 27, 2002
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

I think one of the reasons that there's still a grudge is that Qadhafi denies responsibility. Under the Libyan offer, each victim was to receive $10 million: $4 million to be paid when UN sanctions are lifted; $4 million once US sanctions are lifted; and $2 million when the United States takes Libya off the State Department’s list of state sponsors of terrorism. Despite the compensation offer, Libya’s head of state Colonel Qadhafi refuses to accept personal responsibility for the Lockerbie bombing. The Libyan leader has had a deep of the United States and compared America to Nazi Germany.

There are also the issues of WMD in Libya, as well as state-sponsored terrorism.

It's sad though, that all this extends into the world of sport.
The Lokerby stroy is really sad!!!

What is also frustrating in my case is what does responsibility mean for
US? when they, USS Vincennes shootdown Iranian Air Flight 655 on July 3, 1988 which resulted in the deaths of over 290 innocent passengers, did they take responsibility? No they attempted covering it up. They also gave the captain medal for his "excellent" work!?

after years US decided to give $2.9 million to be shared ammong the
290 victims, the victims families living in Iran saw $0 of that money cause
the relation problems between Iran and US!

I'm sorry about this non sport post!
Perhaps It will be deleted but, I just remembered it cause a close frind of
my dad was on the flight!

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Juventino ] ++

The Lokerby stroy is really sad!!!

What is also frustrating in my case is what does responsibility mean for
US? when they, USS Vincennes shootdown Iranian Air Flight 655 on July 3, 1988 which resulted in the deaths of over 290 innocent passengers, did they take responsibility? No they attempted covering it up. They also gave the captain medal for his "excellent" work!?

after years US decided to give $2.9 million to be shared ammong the
290 victims, the victims families living in Iran saw $0 of that money cause
the relation problems between Iran and US!

I'm sorry about this non sport post!
Perhaps It will be deleted but, I just remembered it cause a close frind of
my dad was on the flight!
well said....

a lot of double standard BS....

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by discobamba ] ++
why does a thread about our NIKE jerseys ALWAYS get political :wallbang:
I would very much like to answer this question, but I'm not looking to offend people right now...

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by snoop ] ++
do u thnk guys that what is going on is profesional?i mean y they relate politics with sport?:confused::groan:
polotics is related with sports via business weather we like it or not. it's nothing new.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)