The NHL Thread (11 Viewers)

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
If you don't know me by now in regards to my team loyalties, I don't know what else to tell you :D
:D

And you gotta know that I consider you a devout and absolute Habs fan, brother. The best kind. I was totally kidding.

We’re cut from the same cloth, in that sense. All about loyalty. Pick our teams when we’re young — or have family pick them for us — and that’s it. Til’ death do us part.

In other news, congrats to the USA womens team on the gold. Well deserved, dominated the 3rd and OT. Can’t fuck up line changes late in the 3rd, just a brutal change by Canada on that tying goal.

Our girls were tired af, that’s the risk of shortening the bench early. They weren’t thinking clearly, and by late third just kept trying to take the USA Defense 1 vs 3, 1 vs 4, always right into the teeth. Consistently tried stickhandling to gain the zone when they should have dumped, or should have just simply slowed the fuck down, backed off to create a bit of space, and waited for support. Next to no composure in the offensive zone.

So much open ice in OT, and they used it so poorly. Barely set up in the USA zone (basically didn’t happen until that penalty with 1:35 left). So tired, yet always charging ahead; never utilizing the defense to create chances. Zero cycle game. Absolutely brutal spacing.

USA women had the legs, and repeatedly worked Canada’s zone over. Stayed nice and wide, kept their feet moving, exchanged positions, patiently swung the puck around waiting for openings. Our girls just chased the puck all over, it totally wore them out.

Only negative thing I will say, is that Gold medal games shouldn’t be decided by shootout. That’s just gross; basically a coin flip.

Oh, and I was surprised that when they hit sudden death in the shootout, they flipped the order — the USA shot twice in a row. Not sure I’ve ever seen that before? Surprised me.

Anyway, congrats to our American neighbours! A tense, hard fought, tight game - definitely a great rivalry.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Las Vegas :sergio:

WTF is the idea behind helping the Penguins with cap space to get Brassard by paying a 40% share of his salary. In exchange for Ryan Reaves and a 4th rd pick. George McPhee helping the Pens set up for a third straight cup. :sergio:

Crosby-Malkin-Brassard-Sheehan is just obscene depth at Centre.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
Las Vegas :sergio:

WTF is the idea behind helping the Penguins with cap space to get Brassard by paying a 40% share of his salary. In exchange for Ryan Reaves and a 4th rd pick. George McPhee helping the Pens set up for a third straight cup. :sergio:

Crosby-Malkin-Brassard-Sheehan is just obscene depth at Centre.
what is that? :confused:

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
When I had said at the end of the expansion draft that this was one of the best rosters I had ever seen for a first year team in any sport, I certainly didn't think they would be this good.

Much respect to that front office.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
When I had said at the end of the expansion draft that this was one of the best rosters I had ever seen for a first year team in any sport, I certainly didn't think they would be this good.

Much respect to that front office.
There's a rumour going around that they helped Pittsburgh get Brassard so he wouldn't end up playing for a western conference competitor, Winnipeg the main name. Their part in the deal makes more sense looking at it from that light.

It's amazing the job that the Vegas front office did in the expansion draft. It also goes to show just how much better a job the league did this time around in making actual talent available in the expansion draft. I remember the garbage the Sharks and Sens, Tampa and Florida, Nashville, etc had to pick from in the expansion drafts of the 90s. Teams were allowed to protect 1-2 keepers, 5 defenseman, and 9 forwards.

This time with 1 goalie - 7 forwards - 3 dmen, or 1 goalie - 8 position players... it made it so Vegas got a guaranteed top 4 dman or 2nd-3rd line forward from each team. What Vegas lacks in top line stars+top pairing D-men, they make up for with fantastic depth for 4 full lines and 7 solid dmen.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Did the Bruins just trade all that for Rick Nash? That is a lot to give up, especially considering that he has less ppg than Ryan Spooner
It is a lot, given he's likely a rental, and how Nash has produced the past couple of years. Some of that lower production is because the Rangers have been pretty garbage, though.

Looking at it a little closer, and part of this looks like a salary dump, to me. Got some young guys coming up who will be looking for pay raises in the near future.

1st round pick will be closer to a second, 7th rounder is a total crapshoot. Beleskey was in the minors on 4M (retain 1.9M for the next 2 years after this), and totally useless; they would have had to buy him out. They weren't going to re-sign Spooner (RFA who has been in a lot of trade rumours the past couple of years), so that's not such a big deal (have had a bit of a glut at Centre for awhile, they've shifted him around a bit). Ryan Lindgren looks like a pretty good development prospect (at Minnesota, still probably at least 2-3 years away from being ready), but the B's have a ton of young D-men in the pipeline.

Certainly a good deal for the Rangers. Gotta figure Nash's numbers will go up a bit, playing with a centre like Krejci. Pretty good leadership guy, good two way forward, has won some big tournaments with Canada. I think he'll fit in well for a stretch run in Boston. Don't think he'll be re-signed, but maybe things click and he takes a bit of a sweetheart deal to spend a couple years with a contender.

B's are going for it!

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
imagine what we could land for the captain.

nice deal for Pleky. :D
That is actually a lot more than I thought we would get.

IF a 33 year old Rick Nash was able to bring in that haul, then a 29 year old Pacioretty who still has another year left on his could bring in quite a bit more.

Quite a bit more.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
That is actually a lot more than I thought we would get.

IF a 33 year old Rick Nash was able to bring in that haul, then a 29 year old Pacioretty who still has another year left on his could bring in quite a bit more.

Quite a bit more.
I'm excited.

although we did play him yesterday so I guess no deal was close.

Hopefully we get a last minute call with an offer we can't refuse.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I'm hearing the Kings want Pac.

OK.

2 first round picks, and Gabe Villardi, and then we can start talking. A 29 year old 30+ goal scorer for the past 5 out of 6 years don't come cheap.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
I'm hearing the Kings want Pac.

OK.

2 first round picks, and Gabe Villardi, and then we can start talking. A 29 year old 30+ goal scorer for the past 5 out of 6 years don't come cheap.
do you read HF boards? L.A fans wouldn't give Vilardi straight up for him. Fun read in the rumours section. :D

so many interesting C prospects we could land. ANA, CAL, LA, FLO... have nice ones.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
do you read HF boards? L.A fans wouldn't give Vilardi straight up for him. Fun read in the rumours section. :D

so many interesting C prospects we could land. ANA, CAL, LA, FLO... have nice ones.
L.A. hockey fans don't really exist. But I guess they are cool with the fact that they have no scoring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)