The NHL Thread (7 Viewers)

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Wow. Can anyone say that they thought New Jersey would lose to Philly in 5? That's a big upset, right there. Qualification in a shootout on the last day of the year, and now knocking off the 2 seed.

Big Time.

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3,607
    OTTAWAAAAAAAAAAA!

4-3, winner in the third OT!

Very well done, there is still hope for the Senators, especially after this long overtime. Games like these are usually series-changers for the winners, so hopefully the Sens can take the momentum from this and turn it into seven games.

Solid game from Pascal Leclaire tonight as well. Lots of good saves, 56 to be exact.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3,609
    :lol: :lol:

"They score no power play goals but score two shorthanded goals? I'M TIRED OF THIS!"

The officiating in this league is a fucking joke. Shit is happening within a couple of feet of a ref and they're not calling it.
    What happened?

But yeah, the officiating has been weak.

Wow. Can anyone say that they thought New Jersey would lose to Philly in 5? That's a big upset, right there. Qualification in a shootout on the last day of the year, and now knocking off the 2 seed.

Big Time.
    I don't think too highly of Jersey, so I'm not surprised they are out. But I am surprised that the Flyers have stepped up. Guess their win over the Rangers gave them some extra momentum that was not factored in.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    What happened?

But yeah, the officiating has been weak.
    Before and after I posted that there were several weird calls and no calls but the one I was referring to was an Ottawa player that was on the left end zone coming up on the goalie and a Penguins player slid in and wiped him off without getting any puck at all - all this right in front of the ref.

Anderson slipped on a banana peel and the Sharks scored.

This ice in California is ridiculously dodgy.
    Sharks should just move to Eyjafjallajokull.

edit: wow, I spelled that right on the first try :eek:

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3,612
    Before and after I posted that there were several weird calls and no calls but the one I was referring to was an Ottawa player that was on the left end zone coming up on the goalie and a Penguins player slid in and wiped him off without getting any puck at all - all this right in front of the ref.

Sharks should just move to Eyjafjallajokull.

edit: wow, I spelled that right on the first try :eek:
    Well, that's either a tripping penalty on the Pens player or an unsportsmanlike for diving on the Senator. Not sure what the refs were thinking.

This Lanche Sharks game is going to explode soon here. Looks like they're talking about fighting while sitting on the benches.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3,613
    I wonder where Ilya Kovalchuk will end up on July 1st.

LA might get rid of Frolov, and Ilya would fit in well there with Kopitard. The Ducks might have some cap space freeing up. And could Thomas be dumped so that Ilya ends up in... Boston? :sick: Rollie will say they need wingers, which they do, so...

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    Well, that's either a tripping penalty on the Pens player or an unsportsmanlike for diving on the Senator. Not sure what the refs were thinking.

This Lanche Sharks game is going to explode soon here. Looks like they're talking about fighting while sitting on the benches.
    That was awesome :howler: I don't like the sharks but I hate the avalanche. Hope they get dug six feet under. Except for Rob Blake, love that guy :heart:

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3,617
    You probably have a good reason to hate him. I missed about 50% of hockey in the 2000's after I moved from Sweden so I don't know what went on. My love for the guy stems back to his Kings days in the 90's when he played along side Gretzky.
    Goon Lanche player.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3,619
    So after over a decade (I think), Nick Lidstrom is not one of the finalists for the Norris Trophy. Sad day, the end of an era.

Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith, and Mike Green are the finalists.

That's probably a fair selection. Doughty and Keith have been amazing.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
    I don't think too highly of Jersey, so I'm not surprised they are out. But I am surprised that the Flyers have stepped up. Guess their win over the Rangers gave them some extra momentum that was not factored in.
    I really thought that adding Kovalchuk gave them a great shot at making the conference final. I really don't like Jersey, and they have Boston's number, so I'm pretty happy that they're out. Now if only Ottawa could upset Pitt, and Boston could close against Buffalo, my team would have a decent matchup next round. Yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up there.

You're right though, I too was surprised that Philly stepped it up the way they have. I definitely thought that they were a contender - even when they were struggling in the first half - but after the injuries to the GK's I thought they would definitely have problems on the back end in these playoffs; Boucher has played well. However, now they're without Gagne and Carter for a few weeks; I really can't see them beating Washington, should the Caps progress.

I wonder where Ilya Kovalchuk will end up on July 1st.

LA might get rid of Frolov, and Ilya would fit in well there with Kopitard. The Ducks might have some cap space freeing up. And could Thomas be dumped so that Ilya ends up in... Boston? :sick: Rollie will say they need wingers, which they do, so...
    I don't know, buddy. I think that moving Thomas would be wise if possible, but we'll see how that works out. Pretty fat deal, at 5M for the next 3 years. Either way, we're paying Tuukka 1M next year, and 1.5M the year after that, which makes Thomas' number palatable. 6M isn't a bad number to have that kind of security/depth in goal. Most important position on the team.

As for Kovalchuk to the Bruins, he was definitely the dream at one point in time. Then he gave me the stink eye; I've since gone off him.

Seriously though, if he wants 9-10M per season (for say 10 years), it just won't work. That's a huge, cap killing number that just won't work with this team. Especially when you factor in paying the #2 pick a competitive salary in a few years. Kovalchuk has everything that this team needs - the speed, the release, the RH shot on the PP - we need those goals. Badly. I just can't see a way of making it work though - unless we can jettison Ryder/Thomas/Wideman and their combined 13M/year in salary (I would keep Dennis another year, to see if he can rebound). Too many of our key guys still need contracts (Bergy, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Stuart, even Wheeler, etc.) Actually, Frolov might be interesting, depending on the price. We have multiple needs up front obviously (everything but Centers - so many centers in the system).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)