The next test: Serbia&Montenegro - Italy (1 Viewer)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
After the thrashing of Wales in Milan, the Azzurri will travel to Belgrade where they will take on a Serbia&Montenegro side who will be without star players such as Sinisa Mihailjovic, Dejan Stankovic and Darko Kovacevic.

Italy, who are on a high after their brilliant performance against the Welsh, will be once again deprived of the service of Roma man Francesco Totti. The Giallorosso failed a fitness test and has therefore been left at home.

La Nazionale won't be too bothered though, as they can still rely on Super Pippo Inzaghi, Bobo Vieri and Alex Del Piero, who all pulled their weight in the 4-0 victory against Wales.

The match will be on Wednesday, September the 10th.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
Given Panucci's dismal performance, I would now start Oddo. Other than that, I would resist changing the team:

----------------Buffon------------------

Oddo---Canna---Nesta---Zambro

----------Zanetti---Perrota----------

----Camo---------------Del Piero----

-----------Inzaghi---Vieri-------------

The only thing I am a bit worried about is fitness. Italian teams just started the season and I am not sure if they are ready to play 2 games within 3 days.

Trap needs to make early subs in this game so hopefully we can do the business in the 1st Half. In the second half, Gatusso should come on (energy level) for either Zanetti or Perrota and then Birindelli for Del Piero if we are ahead because DP may struggle (he is not the fittest around).

On a different qn......Channel4 (Football Italia) said that if we beat Serbia, we are mathematically qualified. Why is this the case if we are only 1 point ahead of Wales? We only mathematically qualify if we win and Wales draw or lose. If we win, we are guaranteed a playoff spot no matter what happens in the other game.

No matter what though.....if we beat Serbia, you would have to think that Azerbeijan will be easy.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
The remaining matches at S&M and Azerbaijan should be walkovers, if Zambro, Camo and DP play as well as they did against Wales.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Febrina ] ++
Against Serbia-Montenegro, beware on Dejan Stankovic ;)
i dont think we have to worry about him....

i heard that their best trio are injured.

Stankovic, Mihalovic and Kovacevic are all injured.

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
After the Italy-Wales match, i dun think that our upcoming matches will pose any problem as long as we dun get too over confident and no further injuries occour. SM may not be as easy as we think considering they did beat Wales, but i don't dout that Italy will win. I dun think that fitness will be a problem either cos they havent had that many matches to drain them out yet.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++

:scared: That's a huge list of players to be injured. They all play essential roles in their respective positions too! :scared:

P.S. Why doesn't Mihajlovic take/score from free kicks anymore these days?

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
Underestimate the Serbs at your peril.

I'm sure Italy played well against Wales but....Wales form has been sh*t and the Serbs can pull off the odd fab performance and we are playing in Belgrade....this really is the Serb's last hope and they will throw everything at us.

Unlike in the Wales game, if we are ahead, I think Trap will shut up shop very early (hopefully not too early) due to the tiredness of our players.

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
:wallbang: pls..... i hope that he will leave the shop open..... i know to rest players and all that but i really dun like it when we just sit back after scoring........ :groan: sub the players if he must, but dun sit back to defend....

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Jejeje, i think that with the confidence gained in the wales game, and with a high morale, they can beat serbia.

But must be very carefull.

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++

Only Kovacevic is injured, while both Stankovic and Mihalovic are suspended.

++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

P.S. Why doesn't Mihajlovic take/score from free kicks anymore these days?
He did score one recently, If my Memory don't fail me, then he did score one against benfica In 1st leg of the CL prim. round.

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Catenaccio ] ++
Underestimate the Serbs at your peril.

I'm sure Italy played well against Wales but....Wales form has been sh*t and the Serbs can pull off the odd fab performance and we are playing in Belgrade....this really is the Serb's last hope and they will throw everything at us.

Unlike in the Wales game, if we are ahead, I think Trap will shut up shop very early (hopefully not too early) due to the tiredness of our players.
I guess there is nothing to worry about, all their best players are sidelined for this match. Plus we have the best Defender and keeper in the world in Nesta and Buffon respectively. I might dare to add we have the best striker in the world too in Vieri.

IF Totti was available, then I would dare say we are complete. we have the Best players in the world in eah position. ;)

What is freaking me out is that Trap might shut up shop or close the game early and that won't be good. may be it would be good to do this if we are leading by at least 2 goals difference.

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
Trap: We’ve done nothing yet

-----------------------------------------

Italy boss Giovanni Trapattoni has told his troops that they’ve not yet done enough to secure Euro 2004 qualification.

The Azzurri moved to the top of Group 9 with a magnificent 4-0 win over Wales but they now face a tough trip to Belgrade.

"I complimented my players after the win on Saturday but I warned them that they’ve achieved nothing yet," stated the Coach.

"We play Serbia & Montenegro next in a game which will be very different to the last. This clash will be more technical than physical."

A win on Wednesday would almost certainly guarantee Italy’s qualification, something that didn’t look too likely at the start of the campaign.

"It was only right that a few verifications took place after the World Cup Finals but I think I deserved to keep my job," noted Trap. "Today our football is making people happy."

The tactician is keeping his team plans close to his chest but he is expected to keep faith with the majority of the side that excelled at the San Siro.

The only change may be the introduction of Massimo Oddo instead of Christian Panucci on the right hand side of the defence.

"The latter is more tactically aware," said Trap. "While Oddo showed against Wales what he can do when he attacks."
:extatic:

Serbia have disappointed in the qualifiers to date having secured just eight points from six games. However, they’re promising a battle.

"We don’t fear Italy," said former Parma forward Savo Milosevic. "They were very impressive against Wales but we have the ability to win.

"We’ll have a stadium on our side and I think Italy could struggle physically after the effort they put in on Saturday."

Former Milan player Dejan Savicevic, who recently resigned as Serbia boss, added: "If the Italians think it will be a walk in the park then they are mistaken.

"Traditionally we excel in games against big nations. When we are in the right frame of mind we can beat anyone."

Serbia do have selection problems though. Dejan Stankovic, Sinisa Mihajlovic and Darko Kovacevic will all miss the game.

At last Trap is starting to see where is the light coming from, Man it took you so long to know and understand that Oddo Is much more better offensively and defensively than panucci. I hope he would stick to Oddo from now on and It would be much better if he doesn't call Panucci at all.

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Hydde ] ++
Jejeje, i think that with the confidence gained in the wales game, and with a high morale, they can beat serbia.

But must be very carefull.
The most important thing is that the players shouldn't be carried away by the 4-0 Victory over Wales, we Should win this match at any cost to grantee qualification, plus we need to avenge the 1-1 Draw we suffered here in Italy earlier.

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
Defensive role suits Zambrotta

----------------------------------------------

Gianluca Zambrotta believes that he is well suited to the left-back role in which he is now being used for club and country.

"This is the right position for me," said the former right winger. "I have the whole pitch ahead of me.

"When I played in midfield I would usually receive the ball with my back to goal. But this way I can make real use of my speed and power."

The former Bari ace was transformed into a full-back last season by Juventus boss Marcello Lippi.

With Mauro Camoranesi excelling on the right of midfield, Lippi moved Zambrotta back as Gianluca Pessotto was still recovering from a knee ligament injury.

His form was so impressive that he was quickly played in that role by Italy and he was magnificent in the 4-0 win over Wales on Saturday.

"I would say that I am more of an attacking full-back," he added. "But that is to be expected as I’ve played further up the pitch for so many years.

"Now I just want to keep winning with Italy and we are all desperate to reach the Euro 2004 Finals.

"I think we showed that in the victory against the Welsh at the San Siro. It’s just a shame we didn’t play like that at the World Cup Finals."

Meanwhile, teammate Alessio Tacchinardi has returned to training with the Italian squad on Monday.

The Juventus midfielder missed the Wales game with a muscle strain but should be available for selection on Wednesday against Serbia & Montenegro.

Forza Zambro :strong::star:

I am glad that Tacchinardi is back training with the others, I hope He will Play and take part in this match.

Hope No player gets injured from now till wednesday. we need all and every player to be ready and eager to do his best, we should win this one at any cost.

I predict a 2-1 win for Italy

Forza Azzurri :strong:

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
knowing trap performance at big stake matches, i dont think this will be a high scoring game... a 1-0 win is a good result to take back home from belgrade..

their absentee list sounds to good to be true... its about time Italy have good luck with these things..

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Aragorn ] ++
Trap: We’ve done nothing yet

-----------------------------------------

The only change may be the introduction of Massimo Oddo instead of Christian Panucci on the right hand side of the defence.

"The latter is more tactically aware," said Trap. "While Oddo showed against Wales what he can do when he attacks."
:extatic:
Thank u Trap :cool: finally u realise that Panucci is lousy......

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Aragorn ] ++
Defensive role suits Zambrotta
Great article, it's good to see Trap following Lippi's lead and playing Zamboy as a fullback. He's one of the most exciting players to watch, and he should be a superstar in a few years, hopefully establish himself fully at WC2006. Forza Zambro :strong:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I thought Zambro did a brilliant Cafu impression at Euro2000, covering the whole right side. Now he's doing that again. :cool:

Alyazia

Jul 1, 2003
i dont think hat theres much 2 worry about in the next match since their 3 dangerous men r out!! but also Trap has impressed teh azzurri fans so much in the last match he finally played his men in their main positions & tried 2 settle on with 1 formation!! hope its a good sign from teh old man im sure he got 2 his sence

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)