the new,improved,updated and completely irrelevant 2009-Cassano to Juve thread (7 Viewers)

dogsarecute

Aug 7, 2008
I agree Giovinco should be played more, but it is pretty clear that Ranieri prefers to strengthen his defence so Nedved is always there. Giovinco isn't a right winger so he cannot replace Marchionni, even if he had 2 assists against BATE. We expected him to play in the Coppa only anyway, so he has certainly been given chances, and he will have more next year.

As for a coach accommodating his tactics to suit a player, no good coach will ever do that. Alex Ferguson doesn't always play Rooney in his SS role; Benitez plays Kuyt at right wing. The player should adapt to the coach's tactics.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
But in this case, Mr Ruineri's tactics aren't really working, so why not change the formation and see what happens?!

I mean playing Giovinco behind Delpie and Amauri could work wonders, while adopting a 3 man midfield of Nedved, Marchisio, and Sissoko. After all, you paly 4-4-2 when you have solid wingers and fullbacks or wingbacks, and that is something we direly lack. None of our 4 players on the flanks can cross, or take on opponents anymore, except for Camo who is constantly injured.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Nope, Giovinco was crap as a striker. He does not hold the ball like Del Piero nor does the defence give him space in the middle. His good performances came from the AM role.
well he did start there only 2 or 3 games and one of them was Chievo of the first round mentioned higher. so i think it's a bit too early to say that Giovinco is crap as a ss, it's not the easiest role in juve you know and as far as i can remember, he did just fine. :beer: it's probably the position he will be playing in the coming years if we don't change our playing system drastically and such role as supporting striker dissapears suddenly :)

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
Just one game Ahmed. You can't render the formation a failure. How effective has the 4-4-2 been, and how many games have we lost? :p
you're right but Juve look really uncomfortable when they change from 4-4-2...it just doesn't seem to work for some reason...that was so glaringly obvious in our last match, when Juve looked a much better team when they switched back to 4-4-2, even when Ranieri benched Ale and Camo :shocked:

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
True, but even when we were playing 4-4-2 we were not entirely convincing. We were under pressure for the last 15 minutes against Lecce of all teams, and yet again conceded at the death.

We have the players to play other formations. We need time to ensure these formations work. However, how can you expect them to work when our numskull of a coach is insistent on playing only 4-4-2, and only changes formations when he is forced to or when things are not going well?

dogsarecute

Aug 7, 2008
But in this case, Mr Ruineri's tactics aren't really working, so why not change the formation and see what happens?!

I mean playing Giovinco behind Delpie and Amauri could work wonders, while adopting a 3 man midfield of Nedved, Marchisio, and Sissoko. After all, you paly 4-4-2 when you have solid wingers and fullbacks or wingbacks, and that is something we direly lack. None of our 4 players on the flanks can cross, or take on opponents anymore, except for Camo who is constantly injured.
Whenever we play 4-3-3, we lose control of the midfield and the whole team is in disarray.

well he did start there only 2 or 3 games and one of them was Chievo of the first round mentioned higher. so i think it's a bit too early to say that Giovinco is crap as a ss, it's not the easiest role in juve you know and as far as i can remember, he did just fine. :beer: it's probably the position he will be playing in the coming years if we don't change our playing system drastically and such role as supporting striker dissapears suddenly :)
Certainly, but if he does not perform, then we will have a crappy defence and attack. At least with Amauri and Iaquinta, we are certain to score so the attack is still good. Some preseason training may do him good but if you want wins, I doubt it is wise to play him as SS this season. He is young so he has the scope to improve.

Juventinoo

Ertuğrul Oğlu Osman
Oct 20, 2004
I totally disagree with you on both points. Gio needs to play to find his best position. He hasn't been given extensive playing time to be fairly and accurately assessed. However, when given the chance he has always impressed.

You need to play your best players, and Ranieri should find a formation and role that suits Gio. That's the coach's job. His job is not to bench his best player cuz he can't find a role for him. That is simply unacceptable.
Nop !! he played numerous times in Nedved and Alex position but he can't be the man in any of these places due to 2 things still you are blind to see ....

Lack of Defending abilities in Nedved position ...

Lack of physical abilities as Alex or plymaker position ....

Can't you :shifty: ..otherwise you are just your nose is just up for your point view ..

Juventinoo

Ertuğrul Oğlu Osman
Oct 20, 2004
SO¿

just to let you know...you dont get a messi or a ronaldinho 8inhis prime) everyday!!.

U are comparing Giovinco, to a player who can easily be the player of the decade if he keeps that pace in some years.

Gio is no messi, lets not fool ourselves,.,... but still he is so good for juventus and has showed flashes of what he is capable in justa few minutes. Ranieri is the only one who call him a failure because he cannot defend.....and he is not supposed there to defend anyways. Messi doesnt even knows that word.

If we had a reliable defense and midfielders....you would easily see his true potential. He just needs more time a better back up and thats it.

Man u are nuts..... You have seen him how he practically dances around the field with the ball when on his days?

U must be definitely crazy dude.
No dude i DIDN"T compare Messi with Gio....oppositelysome one compared both and i said to him ....No No ....you can't compare and sure Gio is lower ....he compared not me :beer:

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Numerous times? How many Juve games have you seen this season?

Giovinco failed to impress only on one or two occasions, and even then, he was not out worst player.

Why does he have to defend? He is an attack minded player. Do you see Messi assisting the defense, or Silva tracking back to help? Don't tell me because Serie A is different and all that blah blah blah. We don't need 8 players backtracking and helping the defense, and Marchionni doesn't defend!

I am not saying he has to replace Del Piero per se; Why are you so rigid with tactics and formation? He can play in a slightly more advanced role than Nedved, but more central and withdrawn than Del Piero.

Juventinoo

Ertuğrul Oğlu Osman
Oct 20, 2004
How on earth did he failed in Alex position? His few performances there was better than average Alex performance this year. With him on the field even our defender's looked like better passes, cause he tried to be open all the time (our usual starters just don't offer that) and i don't agree the bullshit, that he can't defend. Give me a concrete game or two where opponents RB owned Giovinco in defence and made us to lose the game. For example against Chievo Giovinco single-handedly won us the game. And there are many examples like that, where Gio this season was the main hero.
No..Alex at his day...will sure be better than Gio and for the million times ...Gio lack the physical strength to play in this position he can't decide a match like Alex and sometimes when half Alex plays ...he better than full Gio !!! Gio need time but plz away from Juve .....

As Gio did help in some games but he failed in others even by his mouth he said i can't be Nedved ( attack and defend ) or Alex ( playing in his position ) .....

I agree with you all, he needs sometime to be a star but plz, away from Juve and tell then...he can come back to play in Alex or anyone position ...

Juventinoo

Ertuğrul Oğlu Osman
Oct 20, 2004
Numerous times? How many Juve games have you seen this season?

Giovinco failed to impress only on one or two occasions, and even then, he was not out worst player.

Why does he have to defend? He is an attack minded player. Do you see Messi assisting the defense, or Silva tracking back to help? Don't tell me because Serie A is different and all that blah blah blah. We don't need 8 players backtracking and helping the defense, and Marchionni doesn't defend!

I am not saying he has to replace Del Piero per se; Why are you so rigid with tactics and formation? He can play in a slightly more advanced role than Nedved, but more central and withdrawn than Del Piero.
All of them .... and i meant by numerous ( at least 10 games ) ...

Gio as a whole didn't impress....he needs time to mature ....he isn't the worst as Grygera...but he didn't prove himself in the position mentioned ....it's not enough one time or two times of show .....and the way to have time is out of Juve ...we need to win something ...i need a super star in LMF or super supporting striker not a kid under process to learn ...

Am not rigid..Gio played in 4 3 1 2 and he failed due to his low physical strength

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)