The NBA Thread (25 Viewers)

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
You actually said finishing at the rim is harder now than it was in the 80s and 90s? :rofl:

It all had to do with league pace, it had nothing to do with the Bulls team getting better each year and Michael having to carry less of a burden offensively :lol: the pace is the only thing that can slow down players, apparently LeBron would have 35-12-12-5-3 in 87, because pace would allow him to do whatever he wants :lol: Nice way of avoiding my Magic point, i guess pace would allow him only 7 assists per game if he played today :lol: Hakeem would be a career 18 ppg player if he started his career in 2002, because thats how much the pace would allow him to score :lol:

Get lost PI
Hey, journeymen on the Mavs made Lebron their bitch in 2011 but you know he would have shredded all those HOF-ers on the Pistons and Knicks in the old days.

PI at his very cock-sucking irrational best :lol:

- - - Updated - - -
@Post Ironic

Yo, fucknuts, I thought I was on your ignorelist. How come you saw my post with the Jordan clip? Guess you wearing Lebron's balls for eyeglasses couldn't prevent you from appreciating true greatness, after all.

Buy on AliExpress.com

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
@Post Ironic, please respond to my point 1st. According to my calculations and adjusted for pace, Durant would have averaged 41ppg if he played in 1973 because thats what the pace was. Melo would have had 36ppg in 1987 and Bryant would have broke Wilts 100point record in 1959. Tell me what you think

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of Jordan's scoring repertoire, here is a refresher of the good old days:

P.S. I wouldn't bother with Post Ironic - I don't know how familiar you are with NFL but PI argued until last year that Aaron Rodgers was better than Tom Brady. Now he is hanging on Lebron's nuts ... notice a pattern? Well, you should. ;)
Dont follow NFL but hes a big LeBron fan, judging from how he praises him on every opportunity :D

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Hey, journeymen on the Mavs made Lebron their bitch in 2011 but you know he would have shredded all those HOF-ers on the Pistons and Knicks in the old days.

- - - Updated - - -
@Post Ironic

Yo, fucknuts, I thought I was on your ignorelist. How come you saw my post with the Jordan clip? Guess you wearing Lebron's balls for eyeglasses couldn't prevent you from appreciating true greatness, after all.
LeBron got outscored by 2 od his teammates and 2 od the opponents players. However, if you adjust for pace in 1982, then LeBron would be the clear top scorer with 34, averaging a quadruple double in the process

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -
@Post Ironic

LeBron got outscored by 2 od his teammates and 2 od the opponents players. However, if you adjust for pace in 1982, then LeBron would be the clear top scorer with 34, averaging a quadruple double in the process

- - - Updated - - -

Golden State needs to face a team like Detroit Piston 2004, they'd get bullied off the court.
Ben Wallace :tuttosport:

Should have never left them

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
Golden State needs to face a team like Detroit Piston 2004, they'd get bullied off the court.
That goes for just about any team in today's NBA and many teams in the 80s and 90s would have done them even worse.

Todays NBA is for glorified pussies, who would have no business on the court before those lame rule changes.

And how many true HOFs can we say play in today's NBA, at the same time? With all the hand-picking of super-teams, no wonder it's a cakewalk to the final. Back in the Jordan days it was a bloodbath just to make the conference finals.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
That goes for just about any team in today's NBA and many teams in the 80s and 90s would have done them even worse.

Todays NBA is for glorified pussies, who would have no business on the court before those lame rule changes.

And how many true HOFs can we say play in today's NBA, at the same time? With all the hand-picking of super-teams, no wonder it's a cakewalk to the final. Back in the Jordan days it was a bloodbath just to make the conference finals.
Yeah, talent level was higher back in the day, even the Kobe-Duncan era of the 2000s had more superstars and HOFs than current one lol

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005

Ben Wallace :tuttosport:

Should have never left them
Sounds familiar. I wonder what modern pseudo-logic and stupidity would look like in the 80s when adjusted for pace - PI's definition of genius, probably.

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011

This is the first playoff season that i've watched occasionally, last season I've watched the NBA was in 2008 finals when Boston SMACKED Lakers. I used to be a fan of the league, but after some of my favorite players were retiring, slowing down, I've lost interest.
There's no players with character, personality, I loved watching the Rasheed Wallace's, Chris Webber's, Jason Kidd's, Ray Allen's etc they all were full of flair and personality all in their own way
There so many fantastic players like T-Mac, Vince, Mike Bibby, Iverson that never got close to a title but dazzled the shit out me as a kid.
I followed basketball in the early 2000's till late mid 2000's but stopped following because it lost it's charm

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
My brother who follows NBA much more in depth then me kept saying before final bench is GS weakness and Cavs strength, that might be a significant factor . But God knows that's totally the reverse in these 2 games so far. Korver, Williams, Shumpert (he did alright last night), Frye etc were absolutely shit. Even starters like Jr and Thompson were completely useless.
Hmm, I feel like Warriors always had the strongest bench, that's one of their things. For example, Iggy was an all star when he went there and he's e bench warmer.

Please name me the last superstar that one an NBA title on his own.
Dirk Nowitzki

I used to hope Iverson would been the exception to that rule. Didn't even like 76ers but man was Iverson such a goat level underdog player.
Yeah, Iverson was the fucking man. Unbelievable skill.

The last guy to basically do it on his own was a former 76er.

Wilt Chamberlain

And Dirk Nowitzki :D

One of the dumbest posts I've read from you. You're such an idiot about Lebron. :lol: He would have physically dominated pretty much everyone from that era.

And of course he would have played the physical game that was allowed then. Lebron would have dominated any era. Just like Jordan. Just like Kareem. Just like Magic. Just like Kobe. Only a complete moron thinks otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

And MJ averaging 60+ :lol:

More retardation.
Yeah, I have no idea what the fuck they are talking about. First of all, Lebron is clearly the best player in the game right now. And yes, he would be the best player in other eras as well. Jordan would top him and that's it.

Some of those arguments are insane. No player would average 50-60 points per fucking game period.

Dominating in a physical game isn't just about height and talent, fucknuts, it also requires mental toughness.
No one is denying Lebron's pure, natural talent, in fact, in that department he may well be the most purely talented player ever.
What he lacks, by the ton, however is mental toughness and that is a huge factor in dominating a physical sport ... so no, you Lebron nut-grabber, it's not a given at all that he would have dominated back in those days, if anything, it's a given he wouldn't have.
What makes you say Lebron has no mental toughness?

No they wouldn't, they'd make it rain threes. This team is so far undeafeated in the playoffs. Against teams from the strongest conference. They might very well be the strongest ball team ever assembled. Curry, Durant, Klay, Green, fucking Iggy as a bench warmer. These guys are on another level.
@acmilan I know lebron owns the celtics pretty hard but come on dude, be realistic

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
Yeah, talent level was higher back in the day, even the Kobe-Duncan era of the 2000s had more superstars and HOFs than current one lol
It's astounding if you think of it that way. There is like 3-4 players, if that, I can say would make the HOF and even they feel underwhelming. Everything else feels like a waste of time.

I think the reason for this, besides the obvious pussification of the NBA game, is the years prospects are asked to spend in college. Back then the players transitioning into the NBA from college were grown, developed athletes with the mentality of men.
Today, allowing college players to go to the NBA after 1 year of college or straight out of high school (if that is still allowed), has filled the NBA with under-developed children, who face an uphill battle in their development into proper, grown-ass players, from both a mental and physical stand-point.
All of this has had one major, over-reaching effect - the quality of play and competition is way down compared to even the early-to-mid 2000s, let alone before that.
Throw in the hand-picking of super-teams where the already few quality players are bunched together in 2-3 teams, and the only part of the NBA season worth even bothering with is the Finals.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, I feel like Warriors always had the strongest bench, that's one of their things. For example, Iggy was an all star when he went there and he's e bench warmer.

Dirk Nowitzki

Yeah, Iverson was the fucking man. Unbelievable skill.

And Dirk Nowitzki :D

Yeah, I have no idea what the fuck they are talking about. First of all, Lebron is clearly the best player in the game right now. And yes, he would be the best player in other eras as well. Jordan would top him and that's it.

Some of those arguments are insane. No player would average 50-60 points per fucking game period.

What makes you say Lebron has no mental toughness?

No they wouldn't, they'd make it rain threes. This team is so far undeafeated in the playoffs. Against teams from the strongest conference. They might very well be the strongest ball team ever assembled. Curry, Durant, Klay, Green, fucking Iggy as a bench warmer. These guys are on another level.
@acmilan I know lebron owns the celtics pretty hard but come on dude, be realistic
you are kidding right? All the whining, the special treatment, the hand-picking of super-teams and surrounding himself with the best possible talent to boost his confidence, all those times he was a no-show in the big games or vs tougher opposition or his defeatest body language in the face of adversity. And all this despite having a cakewalk into the NFL finals basically every year in the pathetic Eastern Conf.
Lebron just last year needed for Kyrie to pick him off the floor for that turnaround vs a short-handed Warriors team. Lebron himself had given up after going 3-1 down.

When was the last time you saw Jordan act like a mental midget back in the days - he always the leader, the heart of the team. And the guy had to go thru so many HOFs on strong teams to get to the title game.

What MJ got he took, nothing was handed to him by the ease of circumstances.

Me being a Celtics fan has nothing to do with me going off on Lebron. I don;t mind the guy, I mind when people are being given undeserved praise, diminishing others' value. I have no problem with giving Lebron his dues, I do have a problem, however, when he is handed more than that on a silver platter.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
:lol: at morons with no idea about actual basketball schemes, pace, scoring, rules, style of play, and how these things effect the way the game is played. This idea that players today couldn't adjust to the old rules, or the opposite as well, is so unbelievably stupid. The stars of yesterday would for the most part also be stars today, the stars of today would also for the most part be stars of yesterday.

You have to be a fucking moron to think Jordan would be putting up 50ppg in the NBA of the last 5 years. Because durr durr durr "handchecking", "handchecking", "handchecking".

No clue at all about the rules regarding zone, Iso, etc. No clue about the reasons why the game has trended towards three point shooting from the ISO heavy 90s, and the transition heavy 80s. Hint, perhaps it has to do with the prevalence of dedicated rim protectors during the 2000-2010 decade after hand-checking disappeared and zone appeared. Opportunities to iso for stars and actually drive the rim dropped by a mile, and teams eventually adapted to this by going smaller, becoming better shooters, and now you see the culmination of this with massive three point shooting.

Now you're seeing athletic, explosive guards start to drive more again as the paint gets cleared out by big men who can shoot pulling rim protectors out, or small ball line-ups(that ironically Lebron was a major catalyst for seeing as it is now destroying him), where a rim protector eventually will become more and more obsolete if they can't space the floor on the offensive end and also be athletic enough to defend out to the 3 point line, but also collapse in on driving guards/SFs.

But, Jordan he'd outscore everyone by 20+. 50-60 ppg guaranteed.

And that idiot Milanista doesn't realize how retarded he sounds when calling other dickriders, considering he spends his entire time on this forum riding Jordan's and Brady's nuts. Ultimate fanboy there. :lol:

And for the record, Jordan is the best player of all time, by a clear margin. It doesn't mean you have to go full-retard about Lebron :lol:

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
It's astounding if you think of it that way. There is like 3-4 players, if that, I can say would make the HOF and even they feel underwhelming. Everything else feels like a waste of time.

I think the reason for this, besides the obvious pussification of the NBA game, is the years prospects are asked to spend in college. Back then the players transitioning into the NBA from college were grown, developed athletes with the mentality of men.
Today, allowing college players to go to the NBA after 1 year of college or straight out of high school (if that is still allowed), has filled the NBA with under-developed children, who face an uphill battle in their development into proper, grown-ass players, from both a mental and physical stand-point.
All of this has had one major, over-reaching effect - the quality of play and competition is way down compared to even the early-to-mid 2000s, let alone before that.
Throw in the hand-picking of super-teams where the already few quality players are bunched together in 2-3 teams, and the only part of the NBA season worth even bothering with is the Finals.

- - - Updated - - -

you are kidding right? All the whining, the special treatment, the hand-picking of super-teams and surrounding himself with the best possible talent to boost his confidence, all those times he was a no-show in the big games or vs tougher opposition or his defeatest body language in the face of adversity. And all this despite having a cakewalk into the NFL finals basically every year in the pathetic Eastern Conf.
Lebron just last year needed for Kyrie to pick him off the floor for that turnaround vs a short-handed Warriors team. Lebron himself had given up after going 3-1 down.

When was the last time you saw Jordan act like a mental midget back in the days - he always the leader, the heart of the team. And the guy had to go thru so many HOFs on strong teams to get to the title game.

What MJ got he took, nothing was handed to him by the ease of the circumstances.
Sure, he's picked the players he wants. But you put him into any team and he will make them contenders. It's not on him that the East is weak.

I disagree that he had given up last year, that's just ridiculous since they had one of the craziest comebacks in history.

And sure, he has attitude but that doesn't affect his contributions on the court.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Lebron gave up last year by scoring 40+ points in both games 5 and 6 and then a triple double in game 7. :rofl:

41 points -16 rebounds - 7 assists in game 5 as a response to being down 3-1, but it was all Kyrie. I'm literally reading Skip Bayless' twitter here. What an idiot.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
This is the first playoff season that i've watched occasionally, last season I've watched the NBA was in 2008 finals when Boston SMACKED Lakers. I used to be a fan of the league, but after some of my favorite players were retiring, slowing down, I've lost interest.
There's no players with character, personality, I loved watching the Rasheed Wallace's, Chris Webber's, Jason Kidd's, Ray Allen's etc they all were full of flair and personality all in their own way
There so many fantastic players like T-Mac, Vince, Mike Bibby, Iverson that never got close to a title but dazzled the shit out me as a kid.
I followed basketball in the early 2000's till late mid 2000's but stopped following because it lost it's charm
That's me, more or less, as well. Agree totally on the players today being too vanilla and lacking character. These days I would watch a game only here and there before the Finals - that's how low the overall quality of players, teams and the league as a whole has gone.
The lack of competition and cake-walking to the Finals is making what is already a sub-par product, that much worse.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
That's me, more or less, as well. Agree totally on the players today being too vanilla and lacking character. These days I would watch a game only here and there before the Finals - that's how low the overall quality of players, teams and the league as a whole has gone.
The lack of competition and cake-walking to the Finals is making what is already a sub-par product, that much worse.
In terms of scoring records how many more 3's are taken now in comparison to Jordan's era? The game was much more in the paint was it not?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
Lebron gave up last year by scoring 40+ points in both games 5 and 6 and then a triple double in game 7. :rofl:

41 points -16 rebounds - 7 assists in game 5 as a response to being down 3-1, but it was all Kyrie. I'm literally reading Skip Bayless' twitter here. What an idiot.
He did it by riding Kyrie vs a Warriors team that had Bogut injured, Green suspended and Curry playing thru a bum ankle the entire playoffs.
Easy lay-ups set up by Kyrie vs an undermanned Warriors team doesn't count for glory.
It was Kyrie who should have been the finals MVP last year because he did the dirty work and the heavy-lifting for that entire Cavs team.

- - - Updated - - -

In terms of scoring records how many more 3's are taken now in comparison to Jordan's era? The game was much more in the paint was it not?

Back in the days players had to work harder and be better on offense, in general, as the defenses had way more freedom. Penetrating to the basket was considerably tougher but so was the defense on the 3 pt shots, so it was a wash, I'd say.
the rule changes that made it much easier for the offense - no hand0checking, 3 sec rule, calling softer fouls, etc - opened up the entire offense, not just rushing to the basket. That is, 3 point shooting is easier today because the shooter has more freedom, altogether. This is what;s allowed smaller, less physical players to become relevant today if they can shoot a 3. Curry, back in the days, would have had a tougher time shooting from a distance too, not just in the paint.

- - - Updated - - -

Even then, we are gonna conveniently forget about the other gazillion times Lebron was clowned in the finals and he looked like a weakling in the spotlight. I mean it was literally journeymen level players that made him their bitch in the 2011 finals.
And that was Lebron already on one of his star-studded hand-picked teams.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
:rofl:

Kyrie finals MVP last year. :rofl:

Lebron first player in history to lead the finals in points, rebounds, assists, blocks, steals. Every Major category. But Kyrie MVP.

You are literally too stupid about basketball to insult. :rofl:

And defenses had more freedom? :lol: being able to handcheck and be a bit kore physical doesn't mean more freedom. Schemes were super simple defensively because zone and current-style rotations weren't allowed. They had way less freedom schematically.

- - - Updated - - -

80s through Jordan's first 3peat basketball was by far the best too watch.

Mid to late 90s basketball was pretty much shit to watch because of how much iso was played and pace slowed down. There was a reason out of shape big men like Barkley were able to boss it, the iso nonsense made the game disgusting. Just stars going iso, beating that one man and having a free basket.

Early 00s basketball got pretty damn good again, with zone being allowed and schemes getting far more advanced.

But it has led to this shitty deterioration into small-ball 3 point shooting, which however effective is exceptionally boring to watch, but the hope is that the 3 point wave will lead to paint opening up as teams have to go back to more man-to-man (sagging style), and the game will become a better hybrid style.

We saw it this year with guards like Harden and Westbrook near or at triple double levels and driving the basket like crazy. But neither is an efficient scorer.

While it's ridiculous to suggest Jordan would have scored 50+ in this NBA, I have no doubt he would have been a triple double threat with 10+ assists due to dishing the ball out to open three point shooters when defenders collapsed on his drives.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
He did it by riding Kyrie vs a Warriors team that had Bogut injured, Green suspended and Curry playing thru a bum ankle the entire playoffs.
Easy lay-ups set up by Kyrie vs an undermanned Warriors team doesn't count for glory.
It was Kyrie who should have been the finals MVP last year because he did the dirty work and the heavy-lifting for that entire Cavs team.

- - - Updated - - -

Back in the days players had to work harder and be better on offense, in general, as the defenses had way more freedom. Penetrating to the basket was considerably tougher but so was the defense on the 3 pt shots, so it was a wash, I'd say.
the rule changes that made it much easier for the offense - no hand0checking, 3 sec rule, calling softer fouls, etc - opened up the entire offense, not just rushing to the basket. That is, 3 point shooting is easier today because the shooter has more freedom, altogether. This is what;s allowed smaller, less physical players to become relevant today if they can shoot a 3. Curry, back in the days, would have had a tougher time shooting from a distance too, not just in the paint.

- - - Updated - - -

Even then, we are gonna conveniently forget about the other gazillion times Lebron was clowned in the finals and he looked like a weakling in the spotlight. I mean it was literally journeymen level players that made him their bitch in the 2011 finals.
And that was Lebron already on one of his star-studded hand-picked teams.
:tup:

Sort of like how Joe cool had it tougher ;)

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
You really believe what you said there? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 15)