The NBA Thread (57 Viewers)

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
I disagree about Duncan. I get your point and I agree with it but I don't think Duncan is interested in that. The dude is making way less than he could be. Money and business is not a priority for him.

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
But there is absolutely no point in comparing Duncan to Lebron. Two completely different people and personalities. It would obviously not hurt being in LA or NY but Lebron clearly isn't dependent on it. He has done ridiculously well in a medium market like Miami. He's dependent on winning because that will always keep him at the top not only on the court but off it as well. Lakers and Knicks don't offer Lebron a chance to win next season which is reason enough for Lebron not to go there.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
But there is absolutely no point in comparing Duncan to Lebron. Two completely different people and personalities. It would obviously not hurt being in LA or NY but Lebron clearly isn't dependent on it. He has done ridiculously well in a medium market like Miami. He's dependent on winning because that will always keep him at the top not only on the court but off it as well. Lakers and Knicks don't offer Lebron a chance to win next season which is reason enough for Lebron not to go there.
King of Kings just gave you an awesome reason. and how do you know they dont offer him a chance? especially the Lakers, they have a history of becoming contenders out of nothing and they surely will make a contender team if they get Melo/LBJ. do you think they are offering them contracts to tank next season? if you offer Lebron or Melo a contract it is because yu are trying to make a title contender, and after they get one eventually, they will surely be waay more attractive to other good players who would love to play with Kobe and Melo/LBJ...

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
It's not just about winning for him anymore. He wants to build his brand, to be a billionaire in the business world. Do you think Magic became a billionaire based solely on his money from the Lakers?

Dude made a million dollars a year. Jordan was the highest paid player in the league once.

but because of how many titles they won, and where they won them, more doors opened for them in the financial world.

LeBron ' s aspirations are on the same road, and therefore, again, from a business point of view, he needs to get himself into a large market

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
King of Kings just gave you an awesome reason. and how do you know they dont offer him a chance? especially the Lakers, they have a history of becoming contenders out of nothing and they surely will make a contender team if they get Melo/LBJ. do you think they are offering them contracts to tank next season? if you offer Lebron or Melo a contract it is because yu are trying to make a title contender, and after they get one eventually, they will surely be waay more attractive to other good players who would love to play with Kobe and Melo/LBJ...
What exactly can the Lakers do? Get Lebron to play with injury prone 35 year old Kobe? And who else? How are they going to do all of that with Kobe's contract? Do you know how the salary cap works? Lakers are a terrible team, with Lebron getting the max and Kobe on that crazy salary of his, Lakers are locked, they can't do anything. Neither can the Knicks until next year because of Amare and Bargnani contracts.
It's not just about winning for him anymore. He wants to build his brand, to be a billionaire in the business world. Do you think Magic became a billionaire based solely on his money from the Lakers?

Dude made a million dollars a year. Jordan was the highest paid player in the league once.

but because of how many titles they won, and where they won them, more doors opened for them in the financial world.

LeBron ' s aspirations are on the same road, and therefore, again, from a business point of view, he needs to get himself into a large market
No, it is actually about winning. His brand is building itself. He's doing well outside of the court. Just got his share from Beats by Dre sale. Highest paid athlete when it comes to endorsements in the world. He doesn't need the big market anymore, he is beyond that at this point.

Lebron wants to win, he wants to build a legacy and stack the rings up. If Lebron wanted to build a brand he would have signed for the Knicks back in 2010. These things are well known when it comes to Lebron by now.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Then if he wants to build a legacy then he stays with the Heat, which is what I'm hoping he does. Win all of your rings with one team. It's a fine line between having a legacy and jumping from team to team to win titles.

But dont think for a second that he's not thinking about life after basketball, because he most certainly is.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
What exactly can the Lakers do? Get Lebron to play with injury prone 35 year old Kobe? And who else? How are they going to do all of that with Kobe's contract? Do you know how the salary cap works? Lakers are a terrible team, with Lebron getting the max and Kobe on that crazy salary of his, Lakers are locked, they can't do anything. Neither can the Knicks until next year because of Amare and Bargnani contracts.
yes i know how the salary cap works. the Lakers have only Bryant, Randle, Nash and one more who i forgot. Bryant gets 24M, Nash will probably be traded and Randle will get a rookie contract so they will do have plenty of room after they trade Nash. Gasol would resign for much lower money IF they get James/Melo and then they would have a lot of room to build a solid bench. and why are do you keep saying 35 year old Bryant? hes still great, one of the greatest players ever surely will have an impact even at 35. look at some other players at 35 and if you know what a freak Kobe is, i see no problem for him to play a decent 30 minutes per game even after his injury. you probably missed how they got Howard when they had "no salary cap space". its they Lakers, they make something out of nothing. its always been like that...

- - - Updated - - -

Lebron wants to win, he wants to build a legacy and stack the rings up. If Lebron wanted to build a brand he would have signed for the Knicks back in 2010. These things are well known when it comes to Lebron by now.
he would if they had Wade and Bosh, but they "only" had Stoudemire and no cap space for another superstar...

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Miami have agreed deals with Josh McRoberts (23M for 4 years) and Danny Granger (4.2M for 2 years). Riley also met with Deng a few days ago who will probably ask for 10M+ a year... :andyandbarcelona:

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Miami have agreed deals with Josh McRoberts (23M for 4 years) and Danny Granger (4.2M for 2 years). Riley also met with Deng a few days ago who will probably ask for 10M+ a year... :andyandbarcelona:
Mid Level and Bi-annual exemption contracts, if I look at those numbers and years.

But I thought you couldn't use those until you were over the cap?

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Mid Level and Bi-annual exemption contracts, if I look at those numbers and years.

But I thought you couldn't use those until you were over the cap?
:boh: i dont know

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--danny-granger-agrees-to-deal-with-heat-201038463.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...llion-deal-with-josh-mcroberts-195200422.html

"Granger reached agreement on a two-year, $4.2 million contract with the Heat, league sources told Yahoo Sports on Monday. He will take the Heat's biannual exception of $2.1 million and hold a player option on the second year of the contract."

"The Miami Heat have agreed to a four-year, $23 million deal with forward Josh McRoberts, utilizing the full midlevel exception, a source told Yahoo Sports."

here it says its biannual exception for Granger and midlevel exception for McRoberts

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Are these two any good?
Granger was very good before the injury. then George became an all star and Granger became the 6th player in Indiana. then he was traded to the Clippers but he never became as good as he was before his injury...

McRoberts was always average, but he can hit 3s and he does a lot off alley ups. they will improve their scoring from the bench

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
:boh: i dont know

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--danny-granger-agrees-to-deal-with-heat-201038463.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...llion-deal-with-josh-mcroberts-195200422.html

"Granger reached agreement on a two-year, $4.2 million contract with the Heat, league sources told Yahoo Sports on Monday. He will take the Heat's biannual exception of $2.1 million and hold a player option on the second year of the contract."

"The Miami Heat have agreed to a four-year, $23 million deal with forward Josh McRoberts, utilizing the full midlevel exception, a source told Yahoo Sports."

here it says its biannual exception for Granger and midlevel exception for McRoberts
I figured that is what happened, just by looking at the salary figures. I'll have to check up on the rules for when those can be used

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Look like Lebron is coming back home !! :shocked:

The Cavs just clear out capspace that will see them offer him the max.

Cleared almost 10 million without giving up Waiters, Irving, Bennett, or Wiggins.

that sound you are hearing are all the #23 cavaliers jerseys being taken off the discount rack and back in regular rotation.

Dude deserves a lot of credit for this. Going back and building bridges again. Really makes you think what these other eastern conference teams are thinking when they are willingly making these trades with a team that now has eliminated you as having even a remote chance of competing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 44)