The NBA Thread (78 Viewers)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
This draft turned out better than I could have hoped for the Lakers. I was hoping that they would somehow get into the 2nd round to grab one of those players who were a projected 1st round pick to fall, and they did just that. Now they have 5 players on the roster.

Yay. 10 more to go.

Buy on AliExpress.com

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
yes it was, Nice to see the NBA doing that.

They drafted him, The NBA selects Isaiah Austin, and he got to go up the stage took a pic and interviewed. very classy gesture indeed.
@ALC i take it you are not happy with Embiid, if he can overcome his injury, I think he will be one hell of a player?

I think this year is one of the best draft years, with the players available. strange that Jazz took Dante though..
He's a great player, just with the way our luck is, he may turn into a Bynum and be injured more often than not.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
@King of Kings youre a Lakers fan right? do you follow whats going on in the pre season? how do you rate the chances of the Lakers in getting Melo/Lebron (or atleast Deng :D) for the next season? i read today that Gasol would sign a contract with the Lakers if they manage to get Melo. do you know how much money he would ask? also, with drafting Randle, would Gasol be used more at C to make a starter spot for Randle? Bryant - Melo - Randle - Gasol looks decent and if they could make a sign and trade for a good point guard (who is not a hole in the defense :D), they would have a great starting 5. a bonus would be if they could get rid of Nash in a Nash + pick trade and create more room for a solid bench...

so what do you think? can they pull of something similar? do they even have whats needed to attract on of Melo or Lebron, and if not, what would be the alternative?

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
@King of Kings youre a Lakers fan right? do you follow whats going on in the pre season? how do you rate the chances of the Lakers in getting Melo/Lebron (or atleast Deng :D) for the next season? i read today that Gasol would sign a contract with the Lakers if they manage to get Melo. do you know how much money he would ask? also, with drafting Randle, would Gasol be used more at C to make a starter spot for Randle? Bryant - Melo - Randle - Gasol looks decent and if they could make a sign and trade for a good point guard (who is not a hole in the defense :D), they would have a great starting 5. a bonus would be if they could get rid of Nash in a Nash + pick trade and create more room for a solid bench...

so what do you think? can they pull of something similar? do they even have whats needed to attract on of Melo or Lebron, and if not, what would be the alternative?
Yes, that would be me.

I don't like Carmelo Anthony. I never did. The fact that he is good friends with Kobe bryant means nothing to me. I love Lebron, but, I mean he wants max money, and as a player who has never received a max contract before, its pretty insulting that he never has. I can't hold that against him.

I don't want them to use up all of this cap space on 30 year old ballplayers such as Melo and Lebron. I really don't. Truth be told, I would take the money, and offer contracts to Restricted Free Agents Eric Bledsoe and Greg Monroe. Randle is their PF of the future, and then you fill in the gaps for a small forward. I think that Monroe could play the 5. Hell, if Gasol can do it, why can't Monroe. Their backcourt is immediately upgraded with a young player like Bledsoe, you have two monsters down low in Monroe and Randle, and if you can find a SF that can stretch the floor and hit some 3's, I would much prefer something like that. You can then have Marshall on the bench as a backup PG, their 2nd round pick who was projected to be a 1st round pick as your backup SG.

It's a pretty shitty situation aside from the cap space they have and the terrific job I feel they did on this draft (I always had this feeling that my boy Randle would go to the Lakers. I'm a huge University of Kentucky fan, by the way. But to get Jordan Clarkson where they did, and how they did, was a great move).

So there is a part of me that wants them to be even worse than last year, because their first round draft pick that goes to the suns next year is Top 5 protected, and that draft next year looks really good.

Bottom line is that I want them to rebuild, and become a young team.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Yes, that would be me.

I don't like Carmelo Anthony. I never did. The fact that he is good friends with Kobe bryant means nothing to me. I love Lebron, but, I mean he wants max money, and as a player who has never received a max contract before, its pretty insulting that he never has. I can't hold that against him.

I don't want them to use up all of this cap space on 30 year old ballplayers such as Melo and Lebron. I really don't. Truth be told, I would take the money, and offer contracts to Restricted Free Agents Eric Bledsoe and Greg Monroe. Randle is their PF of the future, and then you fill in the gaps for a small forward. I think that Monroe could play the 5. Hell, if Gasol can do it, why can't Monroe. Their backcourt is immediately upgraded with a young player like Bledsoe, you have two monsters down low in Monroe and Randle, and if you can find a SF that can stretch the floor and hit some 3's, I would much prefer something like that. You can then have Marshall on the bench as a backup PG, their 2nd round pick who was projected to be a 1st round pick as your backup SG.

It's a pretty shitty situation aside from the cap space they have and the terrific job I feel they did on this draft (I always had this feeling that my boy Randle would go to the Lakers. I'm a huge University of Kentucky fan, by the way. But to get Jordan Clarkson where they did, and how they did, was a great move).

So there is a part of me that wants them to be even worse than last year, because their first round draft pick that goes to the suns next year is Top 5 protected, and that draft next year looks really good.

Bottom line is that I want them to rebuild, and become a young team.
:agree:

KB824

Sep 16, 2003

Now, let me just add something here.

Lebron eventually wants to transcend basketball into the business world, and become a billion dollar entity, a la Magic and Michael.

What do those two have in common?

Not only did they win Multiple championships, but they did so in two of the largest markets in the US. I think that Lebron feels that in order to get to that next level, his cache needs to include those types of championships. Not just NBA titles in a city like Miami, but in one of the huge US markets. Now, that could fall into LA's favor, (And no, I don't mean the CLippers, because as much as the Clipper apologists WANT to believe in the opposite, they will never ever ever be the top team in Los Angeles. It's just not going to happen, regardless of how many titles they win. LA is Laker Town. I've been there myself on more than one occasion. It is all Lakers, all the time)

So, you have to look at that as well.

And I guess, as @zizinho had said earlier, that if they do sign Lebron and Melo, then Gasol can be re-signed for however much they want to pay him, since they have his Bird Rights, and they can fill in the gaps that way.

It's all very confusing, yet it is all out there at the same time. I still stand by my first preference, but it could be more than understandable if LA somehow manages to get both Lebron and Melo. The Laker name holds more weight than any other team in the NBA, even moreso than the Knicks.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
I just don't know how happy i'd be, I know this sounds ridiculous so bare with me, but I don't know how happy id be with Lebron and Melo. I also don't know how successful we would be. If we could somehow just get Lebron id prefer it, but we wouldn't have the pieces.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I just don't know how happy i'd be, I know this sounds ridiculous so bare with me, but I don't know how happy id be with Lebron and Melo. I also don't know how successful we would be. If we could somehow just get Lebron id prefer it, but we wouldn't have the pieces.
I would rather try to sign Bledsoe and Monroe and keep some Cap flexibility over the next two seasons, to be honest. Nash's contract expires next year, so there's another 10 million off the books, Kobe's expires in 2016, and there's another 23 million off of the books. If you have a trio of Bledsoe, Randle, and Monroe to build around, with all that cap space available to you, well, you could do a lot worse than that.

- - - Updated - - -

Bryant - Melo - Lebron?

Who would hit the bench?
You have to have players to have a bench, and so far they only have 5 :D. Bench won't be the problem, I would think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 62)