The NBA Thread (106 Viewers)

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
Heat can't last long. Lakers will bounce back in the play-offs and LeBron will choke like always.

Kobe:agree:
Well, if Lebron chokes then we all know that Wade can step up.

The thing that proves what kind of player Lebron is is the fact that he lead that shitty team from Cleveland to two straight 60+ season and the first thing that happens when he leaves is that they become one of the worst teams in the league. Lebron did wonders with those shit players.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Well, if Lebron chokes then we all know that Wade can step up.

The thing that proves what kind of player Lebron is is the fact that he lead that shitty team from Cleveland to two straight 60+ season and the first thing that happens when he leaves is that they become one of the worst teams in the league. Lebron did wonders with those shit players.
Wade was damn good today.

I think Lakers are still favorites, Jackson knows how to do it in the play-offs, Gasol and Kobe were off tonight but I believe once they're in the play-offs it all turns around.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
And if Wade for some reason isn't feeling up for it, then they always have Bosh.

I didn't care for them much at first but I'm really starting to like their play now.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Griffin participating on Slam Dunk.

LeBron needs to stop being a little bitch and sign his name up for that shit.

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
Yeah, so Lebron leaves the Cavs and they go from being a 60+ team two seasons in a row to the WORST team in NBA history. THE WORST! Lebron is a miracle worker.

Gagi

Jul 19, 2007
Report: Lakers step into Melo talks

You knew it was only really a matter of time, really. The Los Angeles Lakers don't let opportunities to obtain star players go by unnoticed. That's not what they do.

ESPN reports:

The Denver Nuggets have had preliminary discussions with the Los Angeles Lakers on a Carmelo Anthony trade, league sources told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard on Tuesday.

The Lakers' package would be built around center Andrew Bynum. Denver has no interest in Ron Artest and isn't particularly interested in Lamar Odom either, sources said. A straight-up deal of Bynum for Anthony works financially, but there could be other players involved since Denver would look to shed more salary if possible.

via Sources: Los Angeles Lakers, Denver Nuggets have initial Carmelo Anthony talks - ESPN Los Angeles .

Before you ingest this information and get all excited, I'd like to give you this: it's a 12-foot-by-12-foot piece of salt.

For the Lakers to do this deal would mean surrendering their true biggest advantage, their overwhelming size. Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol, and Lamar Odom make up a 20'10'' rotating frontcourt. It's the reason they're able to disrupt so many passes, because passing between them is like floating a frisbee through a forest of sequoias. Taking on Anthony removes that element, as Pau Gasol would shift to center, and Odom to power forward. There's no big, physical force down low to guard the beasts or deter drives. Pau Gasol's an able defender, but he's not the same intimidating force Bynum is, even considering his injury issues.

Furthermore, bringing Carmelo Anthony on would mean a largely decreased role for Kobe Bryant, and the rest of the Lakers. Are Kobe Bryant, Lamar Odom, and Ron Artest willing to take fewer shots? Because that's what it would mean. Otherwise you're talking about bringing on a largely offensive player and asking him not to shoot as much. And Jim Buss, who is heavily involved from the organization's perspective, is notoriously pro-Bynum. Frank Isola of the New York Daily News reports that Buss shot down such an offer recently .

And that's just from the Lakers' perspective. What about the fact that in this deal, the Nuggets would pick up no pick? The Lakers traded their 2011 first-rounder to the Nets (who ironically had included it in their initial bid for Anthony). So the Nugggets would not be able to acquire a first-round pick this season in the deal. They would go from the Nets deal (Harris, Favors, three first-rounders) to Andrew Bynum and no pick. That's the bottom of the barrel. Bynum's a fine player, when healthy, and can be a monster as he gets older (when healthy), but I'm not sure he's worth even the proposed Knicks deal (when healthy). Are you getting a pattern yet?

But on the other hand, the Lakers always have a way of getting their man, and as Masai Ujiri continues to frustrate GMs with his insistence on "more, more, more." By continuing that play, he may set himself up to get less than what he wants. Adding Anthony would add a fourth All-Star level player to the Lakers, making them not just the most talented team in the league, which they already are, but one of the most talented teams in NBA history.

There's one more element to consider here. Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak almost never does deals in public. The Pau Gasol trade came out of nowhere. Each deal he does is done very close to the ground and the Lakers' organization is notoriously leak-proof. So if the Lakers aren't the ones leaking this trade, who is? It may be an effort from the Nuggets to exert more leverage (lost in the Nets breakdown) on their dealings with New York, or it could be Melo's representatives putting pressure on New York to step up.

The tangled web gets even more tangled. These are the days of our Melo.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Yeah, so Lebron leaves the Cavs and they go from being a 60+ team two seasons in a row to the WORST team in NBA history. THE WORST! Lebron is a miracle worker.
Yeah, that team makes the Sixers look decent.

And as for the Melo trade, i dunno how I feel about it. I really like Bynum, it'd be a big loss for the Lakers but with Melo they'd be soo goddamn scary offensively. Kobe doesn't do much during the regular season anyways so he'd probably just not work as much and during the playoffs their offense would be dangerous throughout the whole game if Kobe and Melo split up their time.

Sep 21, 2010
Melo wont go to the Lakers, Id bet my life on it. Hell either go at the last second, before the deadline ends to NY because theyll freak and throw all they have at Denver or after this season to a team in the East.

It amazed me that some people thought at one point that B. Griffin wouldnt be all that good in the NBA. They probably never watched him in Oklahoma. Same goes for Oden. Without injuries, hed be in the top 5 centers in the league (which in all honesty isn't that impressive since there aren't so many true centers anymore). Does anybody remember the fact that in college he shot something like 80% from the FT line shooting with his left (bad) hand? If he ever actually plays a season or two, I think we will all see some of his potential and I hope it works out for him because hes a good guy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 99)