The NBA Thread (50 Viewers)

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
You'll be ok.

Danny Green sucks
From basketball standpoint his best days are long gone. But he's as loyal as one can get, and an integral part of that 2013-14 team. I'll be nostalgic anytime I see Danny in another jersey.
By the way he's a good defender. With Kawhi and him both in Raptors they should have a good D.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
From basketball standpoint his best days are long gone. But he's as loyal as one can get, and an integral part of that 2013-14 team. I'll be nostalgic anytime I see Danny in another jersey.
By the way he's a good defender. With Kawhi and him both in Raptors they should have a good D.
They had to include his contract to make the salaries work.

- - - Updated - - -

I still don't understand why Toronto made this trade, but props to San Antonio. They got an All NBA player in return, and no one thought that would have been possible, given how the situation was playing itself out.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
They had to include his contract to make the salaries work.

- - - Updated - - -

I still don't understand why Toronto made this trade, but props to San Antonio. They got an All NBA player in return, and no one thought that would have been possible, given how the situation was playing itself out.
I'm satisfied. The best part is Kawhi goes from the hottest place in NBA to the coldest. I hope his ass freezes in Toronto.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
How much Cap space will Toronto have after next year? They won't have 2 max slots, so if they replace Kawhi with Boogie or Butler doesn't make them any better. They are going all in for this year in the East. But what does that get you? The honor of being manhandled by Golden State?

They are still not better than Boston once Kryie and Hayward come back. The narrative that Toronto being the 1st seed in the East and being the best team in the East last year was a farce. Boston with Kyrie and Hayward coming back easily makes them the best team in the East.
i agree that Boston is the clear better team. even without Kyrie and Hayward, if the Raptors met them instead of the Cavs in the semifinals, theyd be out as well.

i look at it this way. Boston and Philly werent desperate enough to give in to Spurs demands obviously, would have been stupid if they did, but the Raptors were. Lowry-DeRozan partnership didnt work out and it was time to break it up and start a new. could they have gotten more, i dont know. but if a 1 year rental is the best you got for your franchise player, AND had to give up 2 young players in the process as well, it tells you a lot about how teams in the league value said franchise player

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
OG is not included tho? Isn't it just Poetl.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Poetl and a 2019 1st rounder for Kawhi and Danny Green. both expiring. thats 30M off the books in a year, but they will still have Lowry at 33M a year and Ibaka at 23M a year. Valanciunas has a 17M player option and Miles has a 8M player option. unless those 2 opt out or they trade Lowry/Valanciunas for an expiring, they wont have (much) cap space next summer either.

so they go all in this year and save money after Leonard and Green are gone? if they wanted to start rebuilding there are better ways than to give up your 1st rounder i imagine

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
1. They won't miss Poetl, decent prospect, but in lower end of their bench talents, barely played due to JV and going more small ball that didn't fit in a 7'2 center.

2. The 1st rounder is a wash, Toronto has 1-20 protection on it, and year after it turns into 2 2nd rounders. It's a wash for sure, Spurs ain't getting shit with this.

3. They got a top 25 player all-star who been in all NBA 2nd team twice lately. Defenitely asset. But Toronto traded him because they aren't moving shit with him, extremely low iq ball hog who couldn't defend and stunk up 4th quarters in playoffs. It's disloyal but Toronto are glad to move him snd that big contract because of hitting proverbial loser ceiling with him.

Spurs sure can use him tho, still a top notch Scorer. But good with curbing his tunnel visioned Ball hogging. Also the they have up an exceptional role player who is good shooter to boot with Kawhi, so yeah defenitely this trade is not as one sided as y'll think.

Yes it's most likely just a rental for Toronto, but let's not completely count him possibly fitting and liking it there too. Either way even if he leaves they get one amazing year filled with buzz and hype, where they can dream about going to the final, dominate East with a top 3-4 superstar.

And after hit the reboot button and rebuild. All those contracts you mentioned are all in the same 2 years window and length (this rental aspect makes them plan sooner for rebuild and blow up if it doesn't pan out in pre playoffs). The only stupid one is for Lowry due to age and how high it is, even if he is the best player in their young franchise history.

Either it must be something with Kawhi that alarmed teams to not outdo this mid level package. And no I don't think it's only about rental and LA aspect, some of the teams interested where big contenders who could easily have high chances to change his mind within a year. If I had to guess would say its most likely something with his health thats more risky then we know.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
top 20 protected? didnt the Raptors finish 2nd last season? and (if Kawhi is healthy, also adding Danny Green) got even better? i doubt they suddenly fall off so much that there are now 10 other teams with better records, unless they do it intentionally to keep the pick. but lets see 1st ofcourse, if they lose the pick AND Kawhi, this is a terrible trade if they try to stay competitive. if they tried to create cap space/save money, its decent

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Raptors can trade Kawhi closer to the deadline. Spurs didn't want young players so I'd imagine offers that contain young players are still out there.

Raptors were going to walk away from Demar either now or in 2 years when his contract expired. He's not really a positive player when you go through the advanced stats. Kawhi is a gigantic leap above him.

Raptors can compete for this year to try and make the finals. If Kawhi is really going to try and get out of another team then Raptors will just sell him and go into their rebuild, which was destined to happen.

There's very low risk and potentially high reward for Toronto. The risk is if Poeltl becomes a star player.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Kawhi is losing 80 mill by doing this move. Fucking retard.
i had the impression the Spurs didnt want to give him the supermax, not that he rejected it?

- - - Updated - - -

Raptors can trade Kawhi closer to the deadline. Spurs didn't want young players so I'd imagine offers that contain young players are still out there.

Raptors were going to walk away from Demar either now or in 2 years when his contract expired. He's not really a positive player when you go through the advanced stats. Kawhi is a gigantic leap above him.

Raptors can compete for this year to try and make the finals. If Kawhi is really going to try and get out of another team then Raptors will just sell him and go into their rebuild, which was destined to happen.

There's very low risk and potentially high reward for Toronto. The risk is if Poeltl becomes a star player.
for the record, im not really rating DeRozan much, far from it. im just saying, maybe they could have gotten more from some desperate teams, in terms of draft picks and young players. i dont follow this trade mercato that closely, so dont know what exactly the market for him would be

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
i had the impression the Spurs didnt want to give him the supermax, not that he rejected it?

- - - Updated - - -

for the record, im not really rating DeRozan much, far from it. im just saying, maybe they could have gotten more from some desperate teams, in terms of draft picks and young players. i dont follow this trade mercato that closely, so dont know what exactly the market for him would be
As far as I know, it’s the other way around.

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008

- - - Updated - - -

They don't want to rebuild right now. The problem is the Lowry/Derozan core was maxed out. Never going to win a championship. So they had 2 options:

A) Rebuild
B) Trade one or both for better players

So now they traded Demar for a better player to try and make the finals. And then they also have the choice to rebuild if he makes it clear he won't re-sign.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
They don't want to rebuild right now. The problem is the Lowry/Derozan core was maxed out. Never going to win a championship. So they had 2 options:

A) Rebuild
B) Trade one or both for better players

So now they traded Demar for a better player to try and make the finals. And then they also have the choice to rebuild if he makes it clear he won't re-sign.
ah cool

id still look to trade Valanciunas/Ibaka (they seemed like a missfit with each other in the little time ive seen Toronto play) for an expiring if i was them. free up cap space to go after Boogie or Butler next summer, if Kawhi leaves. and even if they miss out, they will have enough cap space to take on a bad contract + picks in a trade, to fasten up their rebuild

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
ah cool

id still look to trade Valanciunas/Ibaka (they seemed like a missfit with each other in the little time ive seen Toronto play) for an expiring if i was them. free up cap space to go after Boogie or Butler next summer, if Kawhi leaves. and even if they miss out, they will have enough cap space to take on a bad contract + picks in a trade, to fasten up their rebuild
I get the sense they might go for Butler or Love next. They are signing a lot of point guards right now and it's curious for us Raptors fans because we have 3 good ones already. So it's possible Lowry is next to go.

As far as Ibaka and JV. I will bet my life Ibaka is moved to 2nd string centre and Anunoby plays PF beside JV in the startling lineup. Raptors new coach prefers small ball and we don't have a backup C right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 9, Guests: 35)