the most underated players (1 Viewer)

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
Pessotto

and

Michael Laudrup (one of the best ever! Was never awarded as the best european or worlds best player... do not know why! He was simply brilliant!)

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
In a way you could say that Del Piero is underrated...
Every time someone talks about the best players in the world, Alex hardly ever comes up.

And alot of people like to compare him with Totti, and almost everybody, except for us Juve fans of course, thinks that Totti is better... I don't get it!

And if Ronnie could win the european and worlds best footballer OTY, then so could Del P

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
All time, it has to be Robby Baggio. Probably the third best TALENT of all time, and a real people's champion and yet, managers, and pro analysts are not big fan of his.

Also, honourable mention has to go to Korean player Hong. I have seen this guy a lot in the J-league, and boy, he was some player. Had European teams given him the chance to play in the big league, he could have established himself as one the best in the world. Was I surprised with his outstanding World Cup performance? No.
This guy was just that good.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Karlberg,

Michael Laudrup was fantastic!:) His brother Brian wasn't too bad either.;)

But was he underrated? I would say no, when he has been nominated as the best foreign player ever to play in la liga and has played for Juve, Barca, and Real.

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Jun-hide ] ++
Karlberg,

Michael Laudrup was fantastic!:) His brother Brian wasn't too bad either.;)

But was he underrated? I would say no, when he has been nominated as the best foreign player ever to play in la liga and has played for Juve, Barca, and Real.
Yes, I know he won alot of awards... but none of the big ones, which he really deserved, especially during his days at Barca.
He was fantastic, and my point is that when you don't name him europes or the worlds best footballer you're underrating him.

I've never heard anyone say bad things about the man, except for his manager career which really stinks at the moment. Everybody is always hailing him which he deserves, but I just don't understand why he was never the winner of one of theese big awards.

Surely if Ronnie can play about 16 matches in one whole year and win both, then Laudrup must have been intitled to at least one.

Guess I'm just pissed cuz none of the great danish players gets hailed with theese awards, except for Allan Simonsen who won the European in the 70's

Nick

Jul 12, 2002
I would say del piero too and i believe the same for vieri concerning international football.I hear many people talking about van nistelroy or kluivert but not vieri...

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Loads of italian players are underated but not the ones that play for big teams imho, underated players include captain of Perugia, i think Tedesco is his name, Asta not sure what he is doing in SerieB,Sommessi at Torino, Nervo at Bologna, and so many more

I have to agree with karlberg on the Michael Laudrup issue as he was one of the best players on pure ability alone that the world has ever seen , certainly the most talented to come out of the scandinavia countries in my view and if he was Italian or French , he would definitely have won European or World footballer of the year. At Barcelona and Real madrid he was just fantastic and to be voted the best ever foreigner in Spain ever considering the likes of Maradona, Cruyff, Schuster, Di Stephano, Puskas etc played there is quite an achievement

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
At Barcelona and Real madrid he was just fantastic and to be voted the best ever foreigner in Spain ever considering the likes of Maradona, Cruyff, Schuster, Di Stephano, Puskas etc played there is quite an achievement
Exactly my point. People must have thought of him highly in Spain.;)
BTW, I think Laudrup played in the era where player's quality was far higher than todays and hence why he didn't win any major awards. He played in the era of Maradona, Van Basten, Gullit, Baresi, Mattaus, Voller, Baggio, Maldini. Cerezo, and that is some company. He was just as good as them but was he better? I doubt it.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Jun-hide ] ++

Exactly my point. People must have thought of him highly in Spain.;)
BTW, I think Laudrup played in the era where player's quality was far higher than todays and hence why he didn't win any major awards. He played in the era of Maradona, Van Basten, Gullit, Baresi, Mattaus, Voller, Baggio, Maldini. Cerezo, and that is some company. He was just as good as them but was he better? I doubt it.
I think I mentioned it is becos he was Danish, becos imo the only player he had less ability than in the players you mentioned is Maradona, the rest he is superior to imo, How many players from Argentina have actually won player of the year? The fact remains is that politics will always prevail in any award ceremony be it oscars or music or football, The right players never seem to win but the players who are in the "It" club or "it" country do win it. Or how can you account for Gullit being European footballer of the year in 1989 or Rivaldo winning world footballer of the year twice while Figo won it when he was at Real madrid, not at Barcelona when he was indeed best player in the world.

Better yet explain to me how Man United can win the treble but a Barcelona player in Rivaldo walks off with world player of the year

Who exactly was superior to Raul last year? Will Sheva ever win it? The list goes on and on

When I say underrated, I mean when ppl talk about the best ever players its always the usual suspects like Maradona, Pele, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Moore, etc, the likes of Laudrup are hardly ever mentioned

Anders

Dec 13, 2002

When I say underrated, I mean when ppl talk about the best ever players its always the usual suspects like Maradona, Pele, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Moore, etc, the likes of Laudrup are hardly ever mentioned
This is exactly what I've been trying to say. He's not considered one of the best when people are talking about the god old days. And this is what is going on with Del Piero as well.

When you ask someone who the best players of the world is, they usually say - Rivaldo, Raul, Ronaldo, Totti, Figo, Zidane, Beckham and so on... but Del Piero never comes up. IMO he's one of the best around, but people only seem to remember his dreadful season after the injury, and they don't give him any credit. He is underrated by anyone who doesn't support Juve or italian football.

Nick

Jul 12, 2002
Concerning DP i believe that he can be even better and then he will probably get the recognition that he deserves.Let's just wish him luck.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
I think I mentioned it is becos he was Danish, becos imo the only player he had less ability than in the players you mentioned is Maradona, the rest he is superior to imo, How many players from Argentina have actually won player of the year? The fact remains is that politics will always prevail in any award ceremony be it oscars or music or football, The right players never seem to win but the players who are in the "It" club or "it" country do win it. Or how can you account for Gullit being European footballer of the year in 1989 or Rivaldo winning world footballer of the year twice while Figo won it when he was at Real madrid, not at Barcelona when he was indeed best player in the world.

Better yet explain to me how Man United can win the treble but a Barcelona player in Rivaldo walks off with world player of the year

Who exactly was superior to Raul last year? Will Sheva ever win it? The list goes on and on

I disagree with the statement that Laudrup was better than Mattaus, Baggio, Maldini, Cerezo or Baresi. Mattaus is arguably the only player in the 80s that was anywhere near as good as Maradona. A successor to the great Kaiser, he had everything. Laudrup was brilliant as a second striker, but he wasn't as dominating in his position as Mattaus, Baresi or Maldini was at their prime. I think if there is politics in FIFA, I think it is positional. I think forward players are often overrated and considered better players than defenders. While it is true that most forward players are more talented but that doesn't mean they are necessarily better players. The likes of Maldini, Baresi, probably deserved more to win the FIFA Player of the year award than Laudrup but yet they didn't. After all Maldini and Baresi, won everything and when on to have extremely successful careers. Not many people can boast of finishing 2nd, 3rd in the World Cup. Also Gullit, deserved to win the trophy. After all, he, Van Basten, and Baresi were the core of the team that was practicaly invincible. Beside, Gullit was a craking player. He wasn't as pretty as Laudrup to watch since latter is some sight when he is on song.:), but he was probably the better player. I mean not many player can say they can a world class as a sweeper, forward, and midfielder. That was Gullit at his very best.
Also, I think one of the legitimate reasons why Laudrup didn't win the award, is that he didn't play in Serie A for a long time. I become irritated when people think Barca and Real and spanish football in general have always been better than Serie A all the time. In 1989, Milan absolutely thrashed Real by 5-0, and in 1994, Milan gave Barca a mauling what is probably the most one sided final in recent history. Laudrup played in Spain when the world was dominated by the Italian football. He played for Barca and Real, while the likes of Klinsmann, Mattaus, Maradona, Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rykaard,( I can't spell his name.:D) and Voller made their trade in Italy. If you want to prove you are the best then you got to play against the best.
As for Rivaldo, winning in 99. I think that was a correct decision. Rivaldo not only had a cracking season for Barca, even though his team did not do as well as Man U, but his performance in the Coppa America was brilliant. David Beckam also had a fantastic season but in my opinion, Rivaldo just edged it. Also you can't take away the feeling that Man U was probably the luckiest team to win the champions league. ;)
I have no doubt one day Raul will win the Balon d'or. Although, I am sceptical whether he would have enough success in the international stage to win the FIFA Player of the year award.:)
Sheva would also get recognition he deserves if he leads his team to the champions leauge. Sheva played well when he had pretty mediocre team players around him, but now he has show that he can still shine in the company of outstanding teammates, which is harder thing to do.
Hence why, Gullit, Maldini, Baresi, Mattaus, are such great players.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)