The Mod Thread ("because for some reason,you think we actually care") (51 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
What if Cronios puts people on his ignore list, can they see his posts?

Just put him on your ignore list, and if someone quotes one of his monster posts, just avoid it. Its honestly very easy to do, they are easy to spot. Just keep scrolling down.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
What if Cronios puts people on his ignore list, can they see his posts?

Just put him on your ignore list, and if someone quotes one of his monster posts, just avoid it. Its honestly very easy to do, they are easy to spot. Just keep scrolling down.
It would be easy if this was another member, but the shit he types is too damn difficult to ignore. I honestly tried the ignore list function on him, but couldn't help myself.

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
There always are here. People here tend to treat it like an honorary title when it's bit more like being assigned a garbage pail and a broom at a street carnival. (Forum members are weird that way. See sticky player threads as another example.)

That said, I'm in the rare mood of thinking we might want another mod or two around these parts. But I'm conferring with the rest of the crew to see how all our opinions on the matter shake out.
That's exactly it, it's not an honour, it's a job. And it often ends up meaning that you are going to be the bad guy.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
Nobody should be in the business of becoming a mod because they want to be popular or have fun with it. If that's the case, you're going to be a horrible mod.
I have never disagreed with a single infraction I've got. In all of them I had them coming, mostly because I was a dick at the time. What I'm trying to say here is that, no, mods shouldn't think of being popular when becoming mods, but if situations are handled in a consistent manner with any member, I'd say the popularity and the recognition comes by itself. There's no need to be the bad guy when handling a situation.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I have never disagreed with a single infraction I've got. In all of them I had them coming, mostly because I was a dick at the time. What I'm trying to say here is that, no, mods shouldn't think of being popular when becoming mods, but if situations are handled in a consistent manner with any member, I'd say the popularity and the recognition comes by itself. There's no need to be the bad guy when handling a situation.
You become popular for being a good mod, but not necessarily a good poster or a favorite member. Zlatan was an example of a good mod who wasn't always as popular as his moderator contributions, for example. He was pretty ruthless, but consistently so.

Me? I am much more the lenient referee type. I'm more interested in nudging people more towards their own self-sustained fair play than being precisely fair or unbiased per se. So there are times where a card would be appropriate, I might just issue a warning if I believe it will generate the same/right appropriate effect. (Then if that doesn't work, out comes the hammer. :D)

OP
JCK

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #5,992
    Truth be told, the moderation option for your posts does not show up in my view. So the only way for someone like me to really enforce it is to delete or unapprove posts, ban your account, etc., the manual way.

Lucky you. ;)
    Are you saying I am immune to infractions? :lol2:

I have to thank whoever gave me this honour. I feel flattered.

---------- Post added 27.08.2012 at 23:27 ----------

That being said, if there is talk about adding a moderator then Sergio would be the right guy to choose. Not that being a mod is something exciting or anything, it's actually annoying.

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
    Sergio :tuttosport:

I think a Poll would be great. Sergio, Kate, Aaron should be the nominees IMHO.

---------- Post added 27.08.2012 at 22:30 ----------

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
    May 27, 2009
    You become popular for being a good mod, but not necessarily a good poster or a favorite member. Zlatan was an example of a good mod who wasn't always as popular as his moderator contributions, for example. He was pretty ruthless, but consistently so.

Me? I am much more the lenient referee type. I'm more interested in nudging people more towards their own self-sustained fair play than being precisely fair or unbiased per se. So there are times where a card would be appropriate, I might just issue a warning if I believe it will generate the same/right appropriate effect. (Then if that doesn't work, out comes the hammer. :D)
    I do consider Red to be one of the best mods on this forum as I agree with most of his methods, and surely I'll speak in the name of others when I say he is one of the best posters here. Being seen as the "bad guy" surely isn't an excuse because you're a mod.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #5,997
    There's probably a way I can fix this, but I haven't bothered. Please don't make me. :D
    It's ok, don't bother and because of that, I will make sure that from now on I will not make you want to do it.

Suns

Release clause?
    May 22, 2009

Nominees? I think we should add all 3 of them as mods.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    That's a whole lot of North American bias, though. :)

Heck, I think I was the first North American these forums allowed to be a mod.

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002

This isn't a popularity contest. Mods appoint mods. Plus first need to know if they even want to do it (besides serge).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 51)