The meaning of life (1 Viewer)

OP

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
  • Thread Starter #63
    rover your right. religion has no choice but to come into it. vit- i read that book upon erik's recommendation. it was great haha.

z- what your saying is possible, but not likely imho. evolution can only be observed over millions of years, and nobody's observed it. we've seen hints of it- like how animals adapt to their circumstances, but that doesnt necessarily prove evolution.

and evolution would be the basis of your theory wouldnt it?

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    Yes, and I believe in evolution, and IMO it has been proven. AFAIK very very few people in the science community dont believe in it. Evolution is a fact. We were all formed from a drop of water, then simple one-cell beings, fish, dinosaurs, mammals, apes specifically, etc. etc. (I wasnt exactly the best biology student in my class ;) )

It's hard not to believe in evolution when we were all made from a drop of water.

OP

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
  • Thread Starter #65
    well its not a matter of deciding whether or not its a fact, its more a matter of do think joining the dots in this case will provide the right picture.

i simply am not sure whether to believe in evolution or not. as it is i see it as a theory- a possibility, but nothing more.

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by [LAC] ] ++
    to everyone: within your opinions on the meaning of life, does existence have any purpose, or reason?
    @ LAC : for me. No. Life/existance does not have a pourpose/reason for me.

My view...

All people are not born equal. Some are born with diabilities....some are born rich, some are born poor, some are born with certain talents some are born as ordinary as can be.

This is what you've got in the beginning

The other thing is fate, destiny, chance, coincidence. This is what what is given to you/you encounter later on.

My life..... is using what i've been given to be the best of what that i've got ;)

So yeah... life for me has no reason/ pourpose etc... i just do the best with the cards that i have and he be happy :)

@ vit, -Z- and anyone else involved in the "animals" discussion...

Scientificaly speaking.... we animals.

someone asked if some other animal may become superior to us in the future or something like that??

Yeah! definately!

Dinosaurs were the donimant species until the disastor that wipped out creatures hat lived On the land. So the mamals that lived primarily underground evolved ..... and now mamals are the dominant species.

Something similar could very easily happen to us.

oh... btw... scientific speculation is that dinosaurs evolved into birds.

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
    Religion wise

(very sensitive here.... pls dun let me offend any of you... i don't mean to)

-I don't believe in a god. ( thank goodness Gray isn't here :p )

-On paper i am Catholic. But this was my aprents choice.

-If you asked me. I don't have a religion.

-Yes i believe in evolution.

- No one's ever seen evolution? Are you sure? What is pesticide resistance? What is antibiotic resistance? ( <---- i can answer you this. Antibiotic resistance is a mutation in microbial genone/DNA that imparts on the organism the ability to survive in the presence of some antibiotic which it ORIGINALY could not) So from here.... what is mutation? Some call it error... some call it evolution ;)

you can see this because the lifespan of microbes is only a few mins. Within a week..... you'd have seen so many generations of them.

- I do believe that nature....life... us... you....me...... is/are very special and there are so many things that we do not understand yet. Why? Because we are a creation of nature. And nature is an ingenious force.

* a few are humans animals? thoughts....

-we share 99. something % of our DNA with the Orang-Utan (big asian ape). That 0.something % by which we differ accounts for all the differences between this creature and us.

- Heard of the human genone project? They are unralveling and reading the whole human genome.

Point is... so we can read all our genes. But scientists only understand what less than 5% are actualy for. The remaining 95 % they have no idea what role they play in us.

Our DNA is made up 4 (mm... how to say to you.. ) alphabets? they are ATGC. In different combi... they give you differnt "words" this way... we can "read the words and find the meaning of these genes do, what they are responsible for...etc.

But the discovery is that a huge part of our DNA is "rubbish" it reads like GGGGGGGGAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC. It's huge lengths or repeated un-understandable things.

People are baffled by this. They believe that each "alpahbet/letter" is in us for a meaning... but then.... the repeated sequence isn't part of the "language". So.... mmm......

I had a convo with my supervisor abt this once (he's a scientist) and he speculations are...

Scientifically he says..: There's another code we have not dis covered. Antoher way to read... another language so to speak... like for eg "Kaka" has diff meaning in diff language. (i know.... really really bad eg... but right now i soooooo can't think of another eg. No offence meant to anyone )

(of course this is only speculation...)

Philsophically he says.. : The remaining 95% is the code for the human soul.

ok.... i know.... everybody is :wth: now. :wallbang:

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Sunshine ] ++
    Religion wise

(very sensitive here.... pls dun let me offend any of you... i don't mean to)

-I don't believe in a god. ( thank goodness Gray isn't here :p )

-On paper i am Catholic. But this was my aprents choice.

-If you asked me. I don't have a religion.

-Yes i believe in evolution.

- No one's ever seen evolution? Are you sure? What is pesticide resistance? What is antibiotic resistance? ( <---- i can answer you this. Antibiotic resistance is a mutation in microbial genone/DNA that imparts on the organism the ability to survive in the presence of some antibiotic which it ORIGINALY could not) So from here.... what is mutation? Some call it error... some call it evolution ;)

you can see this cos the life of microbes is a few mins. Within a week..... you'd have seen so many generations of them.

- I do believe that nature....life... us... you....me...... is/are very special and there are so many things that we do not understand yet. Why? Because we are a creation of nature. And nature is an ingenious force.

* a few are humans animals? thoughts....

-we share 99. something % of our DNA with the Orang-Utan (big asian ape). That 0.something % by which we differ accounts for all the differences between this creature and us.

- Heard of the human genone project? They are unralveling and reading the whole human genome.

Point is... so we can read all our genes. But we scientists only understand what less than 5% are actualy for. The remaining 95 % they have no idea.

OUr DNA is made up 4 (mm... how to say to you.. ) alphabets? they are ATGC. In different combi... they give you differnt "words" this way... we can "read the words and find the meaning.

But the discovery is that a huge part of our DNA is "rubbish" it reads like GGGGGGGGAAAAAAAATTTTTCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC. It's huge lengths or repeated un-understandable things.

People are baffled by this. They believe that each "letter" is in us for a meaning... but then.... the repeated sequence isn't part of the "language". So.... mmm......

I had a convo with my supervisor abt this once (he'sa scientist) and he speculations are...

Scientifically he says..: There's another code we have not dis covered. Antoher way to read... another language so to speak... like for eg "Kaka" has diff meaning in diff language. (i know.... really really bad eg... but right now i soooooo can't think of another eg. On offence to anyone)

Philsophically he says.. : The remaining 95% is the code for the human soul.

ok.... i know.... everybody is :wth: now. :wallbang:

I'm not :wth: :D

Sometimes I was astotnished reading some magazines, watching TV programs, when I found out, that we are so alike in our genone/DNA with animals, as I well remember, we are the closest to chimpanzees, not Orang-Utans, less than 1%

But nice, unserstandable, comprehensible exlanation Ivy :D;)

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
    as I well remember, we are the closest to chimpanzees, not Orang-Utans, less than 1%
    the show i watched said that previous studies showd greatest similarity to Chimps.... but now they believe it to be the Orang's.

Anyway, we are very very similar to all the big apes. All within at most a couple of % so i wouldn't be surprise that we are only decimals apart from both the chimps and the Orang's

Oh well..... the diff is just 0.something. And lets stop sitting here discussing which ape we are more similar too :LOL:

Sometimes I was astotnished reading some magazines, watching TV programs, when I found out, that we are so alike in our genone/DNA with animals
    It's because it's blown up.....

vit i am asumming that you know a bit abt genetics so... ... i hope you understand. If not i can find another way to explain.

It's blown up because every single A/T/G/C difference in a DNA sequence will give you a differnt set of amino acids (aa).

Each of the 21 aa in nature are very structurlay different and when you string up all the aa into a protein that single aa change that come about from just 1 A/T/G/C difference can give you a quite a different protein.

And it's the protein molecules really that make us up.

Look at it this way. Snake venom. It's actually just modified saliva. Just some small changes/ additions and it will go from soemthing harmless to something toxic.

And don't be so surpried. We also share a large chunk of similarity with plants. (Ivy :D)

-another intersting but out of no where thingy. The human brain is the only 1 that can study itself.

But nice, unserstandable, comprehensible exlanation Ivy
    i was so afraid that on 1 would understand :wth: i'm saying :D ..... Sunshine baballing nonsense........ again...... :wallbang:

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
    I think the thread went a little bit off-topic.. meaning of life.. humans are animals..

anyway.. I think life has a meaning.. it just depends on the one who live it.. and I think we'll all understand what life is about after death..it just won't help us to make other understand..

skiznigit

Sep 30, 2002
    there is no meaning in my life anymore! my gf just moved to south carolina and i wont see her again till next summer.

now all i have left is soccer thats it.

at least now ill have time to write posts in these forums

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by skiznigit ] ++
    there is no meaning in my life anymore! my gf just moved to south carolina and i wont see her again till next summer.
    You can't think like that, if she's the girl for you she's worth waiting for. How long have you been together? :)

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002

the show i watched said that previous studies showd greatest similarity to Chimps.... but now they believe it to be the Orang's.

Anyway, we are very very similar to all the big apes. All within at most a couple of % so i wouldn't be surprise that we are only decimals apart from both the chimps and the Orang's

Oh well..... the diff is just 0.something. And lets stop sitting here discussing which ape we are more similar too :LOL:

It's because it's blown up.....

vit i am asumming that you know a bit abt genetics so... ... i hope you understand. If not i can find another way to explain.

It's blown up because every single A/T/G/C difference in a DNA sequence will give you a differnt set of amino acids (aa).

Each of the 21 aa in nature are very structurlay different and when you string up all the aa into a protein that single aa change that come about from just 1 A/T/G/C difference can give you a quite a different protein.

And it's the protein molecules really that make us up.

Look at it this way. Snake venom. It's actually just modified saliva. Just some small changes/ additions and it will go from soemthing harmless to something toxic.

And don't be so surpried. We also share a large chunk of similarity with plants. (Ivy :D)

-another intersting but out of no where thingy. The human brain is the only 1 that can study itself.

Actually I know all that, cause we all have genetics in school over here, as part of biology classes :)

:howler::howler:

I couldnt resist to add it here now :D

skiznigit

Sep 30, 2002
    weve been together since 10th grade which is about 2 years or so. but see the thing is that shes just gonna come visit me next summer for 2 weeks or so. but im not gonna lose her she means way too much to me

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    Sorry if I sound rough but forget her; long distance relationships don't work and you would just torture yourself for nothing as sooner or later (considering your young age) you are bound to leave one another.

skiznigit

Sep 30, 2002
    Zizou i totally agree wit you cuz i know its true! sad but true. but i just cant leave her cuz i love her too much and im willing to try to have a long distance relationship wit my girl.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)