The ManU storm... (4 Viewers)

Feb 26, 2005
Ok, perhaps Yorke was on the decline, but as you have admitted yourself, Cole sure as hell wasn't. Ruud was a very good buy, and someone Fergie had wanted for about two seasons. However, to force Cole out so he could make RvN his "main" striker was silly.

Does anyone recall that Arjen Robben almost became a Man Utd player? Fergie smuggled the lad over to Manchester to visit Old Trafford and have a meeting, and the PSV found out. They immediately recalled the boy and chastised him for his behaviour. What followed next was inevitable: they refused to sell him to Man Utd, and instead he went to Chel$ki. Had Fergie gone through the normal channels of communication without trying to sneak one on the sly as it were, he'd have landed his man.

What about former Southampton player David Bellion, once touted as "the new Henry"? Fergie told the guy he wanted to sign him, and poof, he refused to train with his club anymore and stamped his feet petulantly demanding a transfer. The club got fed up and sold him. Where is he now?

It has been reported that when Real Madrid's representative was told that Man Utd were willing to let Beckham go for 22 million pounds, he called Florentino Perez and shouted that it was "peanuts" and urged that they quickly close the deal before the drugs wore off. 22 million pounds was nowhere close to Beckham's market value. Real Madrid had been willing to pay upwards of 40 million pounds to get Beckham cos they realised that it was his value as a brand and not necessarily as a footballer that they wanted to tap into. The facts speak for themselves: The 22 million pounds Beckham cost Real Madrid has been recovered several times over through merchandise sales. There is no way any club would not feel the loss of such a guaranteed money making machine.

Then, Fergie had a chance to sign Ronaldinho. What happened? PSG realised that Man Utd had some money from the Beckham sale, so they upped their price from 12 million pounds to 17 million pounds in the middle of the negotiations. Sure, it wasn't nice of them, but which club doesn't do that? (Arsenal were willing to buy Jermaine Jenas, but Newcastle suddenly upped their price to 20 million pounds, citing the fact that Arsenal had just recieved some money from the sale of Vieira to Juventus. Arsenal withdrew in a huff, and the fact that he was then sold to Tottenham for 12 million Euro tells you a great deal.) However, in the Ronaldinho case, Man Utd offered 16 million pounds and refused to budge. The talks dragged on and on, and suddenly Barcelona showed up with a bank draft for 17 million pounds, and made off with Ronaldinho. And look at the lad now. At the time I was stunned. How could Fergie have lost a player due to a quibble over a lousy 1 million pounds? It was beyond stupidity. How can you claim to be the richest club in the world, and yet lose a player over 1 million pounds? Roy Keane (I think) said Ronnie was dumb for not coming to Man Utd. Others said it was Peter Kenyon who bothced the deal cos he knew he was moving to Chel$ki and didn't want his new club to face Ronaldinho.

I put it down to Fergie refusing to stand his ground and tell the board to stop fucking around and get him his player.

Now that "Tapegate" has threatened to consume his players and, by extension, his 19 year reign at Old Trafford, I just want him to rally his boys for one last hurrah against Chel$ki on Sunday.

Feb 26, 2005
Well, after beating Chel$ki in what was a really tight and tension-soaked affair at Old Trafford, Fergie will feel he's done enough to get the hounds off his scent for a while. A great result for Man Utd, but an even greater result for Arsenal which will see our record preserved for at least another season.

Moaningho looked completely at a loss today, and he even managed to counter his best move when he removed Del Horno for Chinedu Onwuka. This totally unbalanced his team which, up to that point, had looked like they were going to recover.

Also, the endless long balls looking for Drogba and the lanky Onwuka proved largely ineffective as they all ended up somewhere outside the Man Utd box, allowing the defenders to make robust challenges to get them away. Had these balls had a bit more penetration, they'd have caused some more problems.

Shaun Wright-Phillips looked completely out-of-sorts and is clearly lacking match fitness. There were none of the trademark mazey runs down the right flank which made him such a hot property last season. He only managed one shot on goal which was probably drifting wide before it was stopped by Van Der Sar.

van "son-of-a-bitch" Nastilroy blew the best United chance of the second half, skying the ball from ten yards after having been neatly set up by Fletcher.

Overall though, a good performance from Man Utd. They closed Chel$ki down rapidly, and gave the Blue scum no chance to dwell on the ball or think up attacks. Apart from a period in the middle of the second half (an inordinately long one at that) when Chel$ki dominated and looked like scoring, I'd say United had things under control.

P.S. watched the match with chxta. He was so happy he went out and got himself completely pissed. I had to drag his ass home. He'll have one hell of a hangover tomorrow. (I'd really love to hear him explain the sluggishness and red eyes to his boss:D.)

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
I thought they were lucky to be honest. Chelsea deserved at least a point for completely spanking them the whole second half. Still, it leaves the title race slightly less over.

Feb 26, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Tom ] ++
I thought they were lucky to be honest. Chelsea deserved at least a point for completely spanking them the whole second half. Still, it leaves the title race slightly less over.
Chel$ki didn't deserve nothin other than gettin they ass whopped!

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by madlawyer1 ] ++
Ok, perhaps Yorke was on the decline, but as you have admitted yourself, Cole sure as hell wasn't. Ruud was a very good buy, and someone Fergie had wanted for about two seasons. However, to force Cole out so he could make RvN his "main" striker was silly.
I don't recall it like that. I thought that Cole just wasn't happy not being the main man, so he asked to leave. I think Fergie was mistaken to sell him, but I don't think he forced the issue.

Does anyone recall that Arjen Robben almost became a Man Utd player? Fergie smuggled the lad over to Manchester to visit Old Trafford and have a meeting, and the PSV found out. They immediately recalled the boy and chastised him for his behaviour. What followed next was inevitable: they refused to sell him to Man Utd, and instead he went to Chel$ki. Had Fergie gone through the normal channels of communication without trying to sneak one on the sly as it were, he'd have landed his man.
Again, I remember a different version of events - with offers from both clubs on the table, Robben chose Chelski over Man Utd.

What about former Southampton player David Bellion, once touted as "the new Henry"? Fergie told the guy he wanted to sign him, and poof, he refused to train with his club anymore and stamped his feet petulantly demanding a transfer. The club got fed up and sold him. Where is he now?
He looked like he'd make an excellent impact sub, but it never worked out. Yes, Man Utd were a bit underhand there, though I have to say that the player is more to blame in that situation. Essien to Chelsea is another example of the same thing.

Man Utd were willing to let Beckham go for 22 million pounds... "peanuts"
They still post a very healthy profit (at least if you ignore the Glazier debt). Beckham was certainly undervalued. At the same time, it was time to start to replace that midfield. Certainly, Beckham was a controvertial choice of the first person to replace, but he was also the most inconsistant and underperforming of the four at the time. Yes, more money should have been wrung out of that deal, but the sale was a good idea.

Then, Fergie had a chance to sign Ronaldinho.
They were certainly getting screwed, but yes, they should have dug deeper. Incidentally, I think the numbers were higher (~£23m), but I'm not sure.

Another example of that is Duff. Fergie refused to sign him for £17m because it was too much for an injury prone player. :rofl: Biggest transfer boo-boo this side of Veron.

Now that "Tapegate" has threatened to consume his players and, by extension, his 19 year reign at Old Trafford, I just want him to rally his boys for one last hurrah against Chel$ki on Sunday.
Well bargained and done. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)