The importance of a coach. (1 Viewer)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
How important do you think a coach is? In the end it still is all about those 11 players out there, but how much influence does a coach have? For example I think our coach fvcked up yesterday by letting our defensive midfielder drop to a last man position which gave the opposing team all the time in the world in midfield and in the end resulted in them getting back in the game and winning it. A comprehendable, yet foolish tactical mistake that cost us dear.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
more than you think ;)

example,Real madrid,Milan,Inter should I go on?he should use the right tactic,the best available players and how to use them etc..

Apr 8, 2004
I think its all about cohesion. I believe there are perfect matches like, the right coach for the right player (ie Rijkaard and Ronaldinho just works, Ronaldinho wasnt always playing that well week in week out, but they just click) and Mourinho and Terry, Lampard or someone from FC Porto, etc.

OP
Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #9
    Don Bes said:
    a coach is very important, you people forget all the pre, halt-time, and post game talk and analisys.

But aren't professional players expected to know what is going wrong? For example, aren't they supposed to realise they might need an extra man in midfield if they are constantly giving balls away there?

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
    ofcourse the coach is very important(he is about 10-15%) but he cant do miracles without the proper material,
    thats why every year Juve,Milan,Bayern,Real,Barca,Chelsea,Manure etc etc win all the titles...

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    As a Pool fan I have to say a coach is very important. Without Rafa the Reds would have never made it to the CL Championship, let alone won it. He was the difference.

Geof

May 14, 2004
    Greece winning the Euro?

I remember a guy saying that the coach is the most important player in a team...

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
    what are you talking here guys....coach is the one who decides who start/play and who not....so his importance is like 60% or even more....

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
    May 7, 2004
    you guys have no idea how much coaches actually do...down to player psychology and tactics, its more complicated than throwing formations together

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
    This discussion is pretty interesting, however from what I see, only big teams are listed but not the small teams. I would say that for a football team to succeed, there must be the presence of a coach and the 11 players on the pitch.

For this, I will take the comparison of Carlo Ancoletti and Otto Rehhadel, the former having a team with big players yet producing minimal result and the latter leading a team of unknowns winning the Euro 2004. Maybe using Rehhadel may not be a fair comparision, I would use Mourinho instead. This can also be applied to Inter's case. Many top stars yet no1 to orgainse to them. They play like 11 individuals compared to 1 team.

A coach's job is to organise the team and get everybody involved. As Sebastian said, a coach does more things compared to what is seen on the pitch. He observes trainings and decides who to play, when a player misbehaves, the coach also need to think of how to control him so as to compromise him and not let him affect team morale. This can be highlighted in Roma season 2004 to present. Tactics are also involved, such as man-marking and making use of player's abilites to the maximum and bring out the perfect formation.

Sometimes a coach tactic does not work, yet the team wins, due to the presence of top players. But sometimes a coach tactic works brilliantly, however no result is produced. Why? Because it is due to luck or the players at his disposal cannot produce the goods. This phenomenon is pretty common for mid-table teams, as they know how to break big teams down, yet they don't have the players to do so.
    For example, Wigan. Paul Jewell may know how to break big teams down, yet the players cannot do it due to the abilities. Somehow I feel that Benitez also has this problem as Crouch cannot finish, so the starting 11 also matters. For big teams with a strong starting 11, they can just win teams with minimum effort. Just look at Barcelona for example. Rikkard just has a worldclass midfield and attack at his disposal and they can win titles. Which is y I believe that for big teams, u don't need a world class coach to win, but a decent coach will do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)