The importance of a coach. (2 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
A manager can either make or break a side...he is the person who decides the system to which his team plays, the personel choices that have to pondered meticulously, the in-game management that must be conducted on the spot, and the team moral factor that is quite underated, especially when you look at a club like Inter. So of course a coach is friggin important.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jul 12, 2002
In my opinion, the importance of a manager becomes less and less, the more porfessional the players. For young teams, and struggling teams, the coach is of utmost importance, but for teams like Juve or Milan, it's not that important.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
Ian said:
In my opinion, the importance of a manager becomes less and less, the more porfessional the players. For young teams, and struggling teams, the coach is of utmost importance, but for teams like Juve or Milan, it's not that important.
Inter,Real Madrid,today's Man.utd etc..

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
Someone said this once:

A good coach doesnt add much to a great side, but a bad coach can take away so much from a great side.

i agree.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
Ian said:
Point taken, but don't you think that has more to do with board/beaurocrats than with the manager or players?
It has to do with everyone Ian,and managers are also responsible for that.we brought Ancelotti (I don't doubt his abbilities)and had the same board and as good as players of Lippi's,but he couldn't give us any title.I don't blame him alone,but he was definitly responsible.

Jul 12, 2002
snoop said:
It has to do with everyone Ian,and managers are also responsible for that.we brought Ancelotti (I don't doubt his abbilities)and had the same board and as good as players of Lippi's,but he couldn't give us any title.I don't blame him alone,but he was definitly responsible.
True, everyone has a part to play, but I don't agree with your assessment of Ancelotti. He did not have the same players that Lippi had, and he came damn close to the title, twice. I don't think that it was his fault, but rather a matter of chance and time...

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
Ian said:
True, everyone has a part to play, but I don't agree with your assessment of Ancelotti. He did not have the same players that Lippi had, and he came damn close to the title, twice. I don't think that it was his fault, but rather a matter of chance and time...
he had 3 or 2 seasons?I Can't remember well now,but If he was as good as Capello or Lippi,he could win something.I was comparing with Lippi's second term (the return) team btw.I think they were close enough teams,he didn't have that bad squad then IMO.Still I don't blame him alone for the "failure",I think he lacks the Charisma,and can't solve problems when he is in a mess,but when he is doing ok,he can go all the way,Just like Milan's CL and the one they lost in Liverpool ,he could do something there to wake up the defense.

but for Capello,no need to argue,He won titles every place he went,who could imagine that Roma can make that ?also they were very close for the repeat.

Jul 12, 2002
snoop said:
he had 3 or 2 seasons?I Can't remember well now,but If he was as good as Capello or Lippi,he could win something.I was comparing with Lippi's second term (the return) team btw.I think they were close enough teams,he didn't have that bad squad then IMO.Still I don't blame him alone for the "failure",I think he lacks the Charisma,and can't solve problems when he is in a mess,but when he is doing ok,he can go all the way,Just like Milan's CL and the one they lost in Liverpool ,he could do something there to wake up the defense.

but for Capello,no need to argue,He won titles every place he went,who could imagine that Roma can make that ?also they were very close for the repeat.
That's true, Capello is good, but that just shows that a team like Roma cna be turned around with a great manager, but Juve will keep on truckin' no matter who's at the helm.

Jul 12, 2002
Fliakis said:
no i didnt, and i actually i thought you ment that juve will struggle no matter what just because we arent playing attacking football etc..
Damn son, you need to listen to more Gratedul Dead...

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
For me it depends on what kinds of players are available really, its not even about quality, with some teams all you have to do is just choose the same XI every time and let them do their thing, with other teams a coach is central to the team's success.

But on a sidenote, I remember what Kaiser Franco once said about coaches being the most overpaid people in football, not that I fully agree but the importance of coaches is overrated somewhat. Like how bad results are always first blamed on the coach and rarely the players.

Jul 12, 2002
Desmond said:
But on a sidenote, I remember what Kaiser Franco once said about coaches being the most overpaid people in football, not that I fully agree but the importance of coaches is overrated somewhat. Like how bad results are always first blamed on the coach and rarely the players.
I think that is because it's easier to blame the coach and get a new one, than to blame the players and get new ones. And you can't really blame the fans, although sometimes it is their fault...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)