The Greatest World Cup? (1 Viewer)

K10

Jul 12, 2002
What in your opinion do you think was the greatest world cup ever?

Maybe this question is a bit out of timing, but I am curious.

Honestly, I must admit that I have only followed two World Cups in my life time. 98' and 2002.

I only saw part of 94 and was still a little boy then :)

So out of those two that I saw, 98 was far better.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I saw most of Italia '90 and I enjoyed it at the time. But I wasn't much into soccer then. Either way Diego's Argentina lost so. :(

Usa '94 I missed on vacation in Hungary :groan:

France '98 I saw most of the matches and it was the best one so far. Also satisfied with some of the outcomes ;)

Korea/Japan '02 was a joke, that's all there is to it.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
I followed 94, 98, 02

94 was good, xcept the final sucked :sob:
98 was fantastic :thumb:
02----crap, absolute crap..I hate FIFA for this shambles :fero:

Almajhool

Sep 8, 2002
i've seen 4 WC so far startin from 90 .. which would perfect if Arganitina won the title ..

anyway ...

98 was great .. 02 i agree with u mates ... it was really a joke that i didn't even see the final ... i was absoulte crap as paolo montero said ...

but imo .. WC 70 was the best ...
from the highlights i've seen and the goal .. it seems to be an amazing wc ..

secondly .. i say wc 86 .. at least diego was there :thumb::thumb:

nina

Feb 18, 2001
WC '94 was so far the best IMO. It was also my first WC and the first meeting with "meraviglioso" Baggio :touched:

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
i heard WC 82 was good!! with the legendary italia!!!

i only saw WC 98 and WC 2002 and WC 2002 was absolutely
terrible, crapy, horrible and so lousy it was sad to see it.
those damn referees didn't help either!!!

mate

Aug 28, 2002
The best I saw was maybe Italia 90! It was my first real meeting with WC's (I have just few memories about 86) Maradona and Baggio was both there and they was amazing! Unfortunately Italy and then Argentina lost and the final was not spectacular but the WC itselfs was amazing! Baggio goal vs Cecoslovacchia was something unbelivable...
Usa 94 was trikky 4 us (Italy) I risked more than one hartattak... Italy didn't play well but we had an amazing player who won the matchs alone! Emotionally USA 94 has no rivals but maybe 4 the heat maybe cause all teams had to mouve from one state to the others every match and that's was tiring the quality was not like in Italy.
France 98 had some good matches but the strange final ruined it a bit and that was a pity... 4 Italy was not so trikky... We had a "funny" match vs Chile 2 easy one with Cameroon and Ausrtia an awful one that we won with Norvegia and than we went out with France almost not trying to win it...
WC 2002: the worst ever!!! Very boring and a part from Brazil with no grate goals no grate players, nothing! And with the worst referres ever...
And 4 Italy was even pathetic... nobody will remember we where part of it... we did absolutely nothing...

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Paul I have to say I am surprised you like Italia90 as its one of the worst I have seen in terms of quality with very negative football

I liked 78 and 82 as there were very remarkable matches and 86 was also cool

82 had my best ever world cup team which was the brazil team

Matches like France vs W. Germany
Brazil vs Italy are what football is about while games like Italy v Argentina and Brazil vs Arg were good matches

86 had the amazing Maradona and a great match in Brazil vs France with some good teams like Denmark, players like Butrageno and Belanov, Lineker's goals, the emergence of Beardlsey

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
Paul I have to say I am surprised you like Italia90 as its one of the worst I have seen in terms of quality with very negative football

I liked 78 and 82 as there were very remarkable matches and 86 was also cool

82 had my best ever world cup team which was the brazil team

Matches like France vs W. Germany
Brazil vs Italy are what football is about while games like Italy v Argentina and Brazil vs Arg were good matches

86 had the amazing Maradona and a great match in Brazil vs France with some good teams like Denmark, players like Butrageno and Belanov, Lineker's goals, the emergence of Beardlsey
Denco,
Im surprised you dont know why I enjoyed 90 immencely!

78, i didnt see enough of to judge, jus a few of the classic games.

82 was great and probably the most important for my way of thinking with regards to football, however i enjoyed 86 more and as such that was my choice!!

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
I'm only gonna judge the ones i've seen:
90 (was a Germany fan back then :fero:mad:me...but i was still very young)
94: Great World Cup..the best i've seen. Even though i didn't like it because it had a weird atmosphere. It was in the US! Its didn't seem like the normal European games i've seen. not only that! i was here in the US at the Time and i didnt even see a game :down:
98: I enjoyed this one the most even though it wasn't as entertaining as 94. i liked this Cup because i already astablished my Football knowledge enough to know most of the teams.
02: Very disappointing for two reasons:
a. Italy Sucked.
b. The timing was terrible. (most games at 4:30am and after!! suring summer classes) so i didnt see as many games as i wanted.
Though i have to admit that the Korea did a great job in hosting the WC.

To judge the rest of the ternaments, all i can look at is individual team performances. So i'd agree with Almajhool and go with the 86 (argentina) and 70 (Brazil).

OP
K10

K10

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #17
    The best world cups that occured are probably the ones we never saw :)

Majed. I actually like the 2:30am (by me) for the World Cup. We had like a party every night :D

GScirea

Oct 28, 2002
    I have to say that the best WC of the ones i have seen is the 82 one, then it´s a tie between 78 and 94 (mainly because i dont remember 78 fully). WC 90 must be one of the worst so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)