The games are afoot: general Euro 2004 discussion thread (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 28, 2002
england were defensive. but every team par brazil woul have been in their place. they shut down all the spaces nearer the goal because thats the only way to eliminate henry and zidane from the game. what did you people expected them to do? give all the space henry needs and see if they manage to survive.

and whats will all the "not a fan of offensive football". ffs, most here support italy, what wuld you say to them?

Buy on AliExpress.com

delpiero10

Apr 5, 2004
I most also say that Henry is an incredible hyped up player!, yeasterday you all saw how limited and invisible he was when he didnt get any space. This simply shows why he is in Arsenal/PL, because that is were he can perform best, in Italy he would have been nothing!.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++
and whats will all the "not a fan of offensive football". ffs, most here support italy, what wuld you say to them?
Well did England play offensively last night or didn't they?

I would say to them that very often their team plays very defensive football and since they enjoy that so much (not all suppporters enjoy they way their team plays), apparently they must also enjoy defensive football. Is that outrageous now?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by delpiero10 ] ++
I most also say that Henry is an incredible hyped up player!, yeasterday you all saw how limited and invisible he was when he didnt get any space. This simply shows why he is in Arsenal/PL, because that is were he can perform best, in Italy he would have been nothing!.
Well then so is Figo, he sucked in Portugal's first match.

delpiero10

Apr 5, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++

Well then so is Figo, he sucked in Portugal's first match.
Yeah clever!, base everything on one match, I dont base my opinion on Henry on one match. I just think yeasterdays match proves my opinion on him.

delpiero10

Apr 5, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++

Well did England play offensively last night or didn't they?

I would say to them that very often their team plays very defensive football and since they enjoy that so much (not all suppporters enjoy they way their team plays), apparently they must also enjoy defensive football. Is that outrageous now?
It seems like you have a very simple view on this sport, offensive play=good/right/what you should do no matter what, and defensive play=bad!

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
No, I'm alluding to the peculiar situation being that most people seem to think that way. I never said playing defensively is bad, sure it's not my favorite kind but all I said was England played incredibly defensive, you made the conclusion that it's a bad thing.

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
But Englands tactics was great, they revealed France' weakness by giving them no room, and to defend good is just as important/difficult as attacking.
Yes defending good is part of the game. No England's tactics was not great coz if it was they would have won.

++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++
england were defensive. but every team par brazil woul have been in their place. they shut down all the spaces nearer the goal because thats the only way to eliminate henry and zidane from the game. what did you people expected them to do?
I expected them to have more belief in themselves and actually try to win the game. IMO they were capable of doing it coz France seemed out of sorts.

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
England deserved to lose that game. justice was made.
they actually did nothing in that game. all they did is to make the french attacking players miserable. when they got the ball they sent it forward with long long balls, and it was disgusting.

wayne rooney was very selfish not to pass the ball. he was lucky to get a penalty

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #232
    ++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

Actually I think England shot themselves in the foot by playing such a conservative style, sitting back after the goal. I wouldn't say England was tactically the better team, because after all they lost it in the dying minutes of the match. Sure, they did a good job of putting two walls of four right by their own box, but they should have closed down the match more effectively.

One game for Zidane? More like four seasons as the top footballer. And after tonight he showed why he is still the best in the world. Two moments of magic in a crucial match which he made against the flow of the game.
    I'm talking about this season, he was far from brilliant and far from the best in the world. Anyways, I wouldnt even call his two goals "magic".

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
    I'm talking about this season, he was far from brilliant and far from the best in the world. Anyways, I wouldnt even call his two goals "magic".
    They weren't magical, but they were both well taken under considerable pressure, especially the free kick. Come to think of the penalty was very well struck too.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    It seems like you have a very simple view on this sport, offensive play=good/right/what you should do no matter what, and defensive play=bad!
    I have a feeling you're Norwegian. ;)

It's only natural that many people wanted England to lose, as they played destructively and boring. Tactically very good, they almost won the match, but they in many ways ruined what should have been a thrilling and fun game. Wich it turned out be anyways, but in another way than what was expected.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
    the first 2 days are very dissapointing as far as football are concerned... and with italy playing on today i wont expect things to get any far better.... EURO 2004 still have a long way to go to match EURO 2000..

delpiero10

Apr 5, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++
    the first 2 days are very dissapointing as far as football are concerned... and with italy playing on today i wont expect things to get any far better.... EURO 2004 still have a long way to go to match EURO 2000..
    :dontcare: a little early to say?

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

They weren't magical, but they were both well taken under considerable pressure, especially the free kick. Come to think of the penalty was very well struck too.
    Agreed. Although they weren't magical it was Zizou's ability to stay cool under such pressure that won me over again. Seeing Beckham's penalty saved was one thing, but the fact that both goals came in stoppage time when the champions were minutes away from defeat made those two goals incredible.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)