The games are afoot: general Euro 2004 discussion thread (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #201
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++

Yeah that's true. Sometimes (no, very often) people choose at random who they attack, I know I do that. And it's not always fair.

Fortunately, you are too sensible to really fight with. :)

It's funny how we have a harmonious community in here but the moment Euro starts it's like XT where everyone has their special likes and dislikes. Quite a dangerous situation potentially, esp when I remember the Euro2000 aftermath..

It's all about respect Martin... and the benjamins, but thats another story...

Buy on AliExpress.com

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    mmmm.... i spend much money on those albums.......the last one i did was the korea japan one...

i wanted to buy the champions league albums.. but naa.. i dont have money and time...

It was funnier in the sschool, where u could go to the younger grades and cheat the little boys to take the good players away from them :evil:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
    One game and people start hailing Zidane as Jesus Crist's reincarnation. Sure, he was good, but not that good. And I simply dont agree that he is the best player in the world. Let's look at the entire last season. He performed below his own high standards, while Henry had a great season.

Currently, I'd put both Henry and Totti before Zizou. He might be one of the best players in the world, but certanly not the best, and certanly not just because of one game.

As I said, France were extremely lucky, and England tactically outplayed them IMO. I dot thing we'll see Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes all in the same team next match, and Wayne Bridge will probably get a place in the team. Sven played all 3 oh his world class centre midfielders precisely to neutralise Zizou, and they actually did very well. England was tactically the better team, altho I'm glad that France won.
    Actually I think England shot themselves in the foot by playing such a conservative style, sitting back after the goal. I wouldn't say England was tactically the better team, because after all they lost it in the dying minutes of the match. Sure, they did a good job of putting two walls of four right by their own box, but they should have closed down the match more effectively.

One game for Zidane? More like four seasons as the top footballer. And after tonight he showed why he is still the best in the world. Two moments of magic in a crucial match which he made against the flow of the game.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002

Yeah but he wasn't all that today. Obviously the goals but throughout the game he was just as frustrated as the others and his long shots were way off. :undecide:
    I know. He wasn't brilliant today, infact he was far from it, but he still managed to show some of his class and masterful technique. The English did very well to limit him and Henry, but his goals were a reminder to the world that he's a figure in footballing history.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    Zidane had nuthing to do in the game , i didn't really see him with the ball , Only after that FK and PK...but that didn't make Zidane hero ... P.s the penalty came from henry , so he aint a hero ... he did well and we have to admit it ... but absolutly NOT the man of the match !

Freddy

Feb 1, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by azzurri7 ] ++
    Zidane had nuthing to do in the game , i didn't really see him with the ball , Only after that FK and PK...but that didn't make Zidane hero ... P.s the penalty came from henry , so he aint a hero ... he did well and we have to admit it ... but absolutly NOT the man of the match !
    IMO the man of the match is the England's defence, they did quite a good game

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    IMO great players are made for big games....and Zidane almost always says present when his team need him most...and im not saying against celta de vigo or ancona....

when zidane shines... he does it in BIG time. Thats is the difference beetween him, and all the others.

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
    WHAT A GAME! I was shocked at the end. France deserved to win, but not in that dramatical way.

All in all, I have to say, that England played crap. Scored a goal, and then defended the rest of the game. And France played better and owned the game, but the last pass always had to be something special, and thats why, they couldn't score any goal.
    Thuram was very good in the middle, and Capello should play him there.
    Trezeguet didn't impress me, however, Henry didn't impress me too.

Today, I hope that Italia will ruin the Dans. I bet for a 3 - 0 for Italy, and in the second game, I hope that Bulgaria win, but this is very unlikely, so I would bet for a 2 - 1 for Sweden.

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
    Just a few opinionated comments:

- Henry disappointed me.
    - Owen sucked.
    - Zidane is still the best player in the world.
    - Rooney was very good, but should've squared for Vassell instead of winning the penalty, although I'm probably only saying this because Beckham missed.
    - Becks sucked.
    - Thuram was solid at centre back. Capello should play him there.
    - King is more than competent.
    - Gallas was good.
    - England lost because they don't learn. Like against Brazil in 02, they scored first and tried to defend for the remainder of the game. Bad tactic, bad end result.
    - France deserved the 3 points.
    I agree in every point (specially about Thuram).
    btw. I thought you couldn't see the games??

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Hydde ] ++
    mmmm.... i spend much money on those albums.......the last one i did was the korea japan one...

i wanted to buy the champions league albums.. but naa.. i dont have money and time...

It was funnier in the sschool, where u could go to the younger grades and cheat the little boys to take the good players away from them :evil:
    What are these albums?

delpiero10

Apr 5, 2004
    Disgusting France, always lucky everytime, thats the only way they can perform. The hyped up Henry was simply redicioulus and so was France playing style, but as usual they had luck. England could taste a bit of how it most feel to loose the EU2000 final.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by delpiero10 ] ++
    Disgusting France, always lucky everytime, thats the only way the can perform. The hyped up Henry was simply redicioulus and so was France playing style, but as usual they had luck. England could taste a bit of how it most feel to loose the EU2000 final.
    Dude what are you talking about!?

How were France disgusting? It's not their fault they scored 2 late goals to steal the match. I agree that Henry didn't do anything, but how can you say that France's playing style was ridiculous? They were much more attacking than England, who shut up shop and completely tried to kill off the game. France played attacking football from the outset and they were easily the better team for the first 20 minutes.

delpiero10

Apr 5, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

Dude what are you talking about!?

How were France disgusting? It's not their fault they scored 2 late goals to steal the match. I agree that Henry didn't do anything, but how can you say that France's playing style was ridiculous? They were much more attacking than England, who shut up shop and completely tried to kill off the game. France played attacking football from the outset and they were easily the better team for the first 20 minutes.
    Disagree, England was much better, they controlled the game until 90 minutes. France attacking play was just a nightmare to watch, no structure, every ball has to go through Zidane to get verified, and no effectiveness. But as usual their luck gives them victory!.

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    France played a consistent attacking game even if they could not find a way through but credit to them for never giving up. IMO England used the wrong tactics & came into the game looking to contain France rather than playing for a win. Kudos to France for never giving up. England is a good & capable team but to win they have to be more adventurers.

Disagree, England was much better, they controlled the game until 90 minutes. France attacking play was just a nightmare to watch, no structure, every ball has to go through Zidane to get verified, and no effectiveness. But as usual their luck gives them victory!.
    England did not control the game, they just defended superbly but it is almost a given that when you shut shop too early then it's almost certain that you will be forced into conceeding mistakes which could be painful.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by delpiero10 ] ++
    England might as well have parked their team bus in front of goal and gone to the beach. All they did was pounce on every ball that came near them, there was nothing else.

While France actually played the game on both ends.

I suppose you're not a big fan of offensive football?

delpiero10

Apr 5, 2004

England might as well have parked their team bus in front of goal and gone to the beach. All they did was pounce on every ball that came near them, there was nothing else.

While France actually played the game on both ends.

I suppose you're not a big fan of offensive football?
    Englands players are not as good as France's so its natural that they gets pushed back low by France, and that was also an important tactic since it gave France no room. Football is more complex than: offensive=good and defensive=bad.
    And for your information i like offensive football the way Italy and also a bit of how Spain plays it. Thats football!, not like throwing 11 men in attack without any sense or purpose.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)