The games are afoot: general Euro 2004 discussion thread (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #21
    Actually, I've always thought Scolari was massivly overrated. I mean, Portugal havent won, what, 10 friendly matches prior to Euro 2004...

Penalty for Greece!!!

2-0!!!

Basenas!!!

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    from what i've read..deco isnt doin too well, same goes for the whole portie team

:extatic:

Edit: goaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal ronaldo ronaldo ronaldo ronaldo goal goal goal goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<s. american commentator>

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #25
    Full time

Portugal 1 - 2 Greece

(7' Karagounis, 51' Basinas (pen), 93' Cristiano Ronaldo)

First upset of the Championship. IMO, a deserved victory for Greece, they were well organised, knew what they wanted to do, and defended very well. They started the match very well, had less possesion than Portugal (60% - 40%), but outshot them in the first half. At the beggining of the secnd half, Basinans scored from the spot to give them a 2-0 lead, after a clumsy tackle from Cristiano Ronaldo, and it was practically over. Portugal couldnt respond properly. They scored a consolation goal in extra time, when Cristiano Ronaldo headed in a Figo corner.

Anyways, Portugal are in a situation they wanted to avoid at all costs. This means that, even if they do beat Russia, they'll have to beat Spain to be sure of a place in the Quarterfinals. A situation any team would find extremely hard.

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
    Scolari is massively overrated and we all know that. The only reason why he won wc2002 was first: no competition in that tournament and second: becuase Brazil have naturally great players that can play football no matter who coaches them.

That being said, GREAT defense by Greece. They controlled that game well. Portgual enjoyed much possession but the greeks did well to defend them to prevent them from scoring. C. Ronaldo wasnt too great since 90% of this crosses were off target......

ah too lazy to give a report. ;)

Jan 24, 2004
    Very good match for Greece. Otto Rehagel did a really good job, hopefully his team can remain on that level :thumb:

Ronaldo, Deco, Figo (2nd half) and co. - too bad. but maybe they'll awake and suprise against Spain? a very intersting group!

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
    Jan 12, 2002
    This just shows that there are no longer small teams in the Euro. This is just an extension of what happened in the Champions League. There is no longer a huge gap between 'big' teams and 'small' ones. All teams are tactically adept.

The match was worth watching and fitting for an opening match. It was interesting to see how Portugal would respond to Greece's early goal. They kept chasing for the equalizer but could only stroke the ball around the midfield with occasion long shots without really threatening Nikopolidis.

The second half was more lively but Ronaldo's clumsy tackle gave away the match really. And Greece were happy defending the 2-0 lead without any real problems except for Ronaldo scoring a consolation goal in the end.

Portugal now have a mountain to climb for qualification as it is never easy to lose the first match. Greece-Russia will be the key to this group, if the Greeks win then Portugal might exit the tournament much earlier than expected.

Looking forward for Match2: Spain-Russia.

May 4, 2004
    Scolari is the biggest sucker i know... how the hell could he leave Deco and C.Ronaldo out.. and Riu Costa in, man, riu hasent even playd like 5 matches in a year..

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Greece has had an awesome defense for some time. That was clear through the qualifiers. They took a pounding and really held firm -- so congrats to them.

I don't feel like Portugal played as horribly as some make it out though. They blew it with a lack of concentration in the early nerves of the game and set themselves on an uphill course from there. Against a team like Greece -- you just can't spot them a 1-0 lead. But then, I would expect little more from Scolari and Portugal's usual international performances. Poor form for some time -- I am not so sure they will make it through the qualifiers.

But Deco should not be watching from the bench if they actually want to win games.

May 4, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by PersianMafia ] ++
    Scolari is massively overrated and we all know that. The only reason why he won wc2002 was first: no competition in that tournament and second: becuase Brazil have naturally great players that can play football no matter who coaches them.

That being said, GREAT defense by Greece. They controlled that game well. Portgual enjoyed much possession but the greeks did well to defend them to prevent them from scoring. C. Ronaldo wasnt too great since 90% of this crosses were off target......

ah too lazy to give a report. ;)
    i disagree, imo ronaldo was the best player for portogal, no that he scored, but he was the one alwayse breaking throw, if u know what i mean, and about he's crosses, i think the crosses was good enoghu, but protogals attacker wasent in the right place at the right time..

anyway lets stick togethore and pray for Azzurri!!

Forza Italy!

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by Juve_Kosova ] ++
    Scolari is the biggest sucker i know... how the hell could he leave Deco and C.Ronaldo out.. and Riu Costa in, man, riu hasent even playd like 5 matches in a year.. im really
    He was a sucker for putting on Ronaldo in the first place. Easily the worst man on the pitch today. Simao did nothing but then he had the ball about twice. Once they started playing down the left, I think he would have done better than Ronaldo who wasted every single ball.

May 4, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++

He was a sucker for putting on Ronaldo in the first place. Easily the worst man on the pitch today. Simao did nothing but then he had the ball about twice. Once they started playing down the left, I think he would have done better than Ronaldo who wasted every single ball.
    wow martin, did we see the same game?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)