The Europe Issue (1 Viewer)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
It's a complicated Continent, that's for sure. And I can't do much; but research is one of my few talents and I occasionally do it well. So I figured I would clear up the much-debated, rarely-understood Europe issue!

UEFA
All European nations + Israel are members of the Football Association that is UEFA. This is, however, not in any way a political organisation and it is bound by various rules of nations and intergovernmental organisations such as the EU.

The members of UEFA are:
Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, England, Estonia, F.Y.R. Macedonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Scotland, Serbia & Montenegro, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, Wales.

The European Union
The European Union (EU in short) is an economic and political union between 25 European countries. The European Union is an independent organisation with unified legislation regarding economics: and football is regarded as an economic sector. Thus, the laws the European Union directly affect football in 25 of the 52 UEFA member states. The most important European Union law from a football perspective is Article 39 of the EU Treaty which states that "all workers within the union are entitled to free movement". In other words: any EU inhabitant may find a job anywhere else in the EU, including football players. It is thus not possible for a member state of the EU to draw up limits to the amount of EU players a football team may have.

Here is a map of the European Union:

IMPORTANT: Norway and Switzerland are not part of the EU but have a special economical relationship with the Union that effectively means the above described legislation ALSO includes these two nations. Thus, the legislation made by the EU is valid for and binds 27 of the 52 UEFA member states.

Europe outside the EU
Europe outside the EU is exactly that; outside. The nations outside the European Union (disregarding Norway and Switzerland) have no form of unified legislation they can weigh up against EU laws, nor are there any treaties of significant importance between the European Union and the other European nations that carry an impact on football.

European Union nations are free in drawing up limits to the amount of non-EU workers, football players included, allowed in their state. This has led to restrictions and quota in every EU member state, a couple of which will be highlighted below:
  • Spain | La Liga | The Spanish football association has drawn up legislation that states the maximum number of non-EU players in a Spanish football team is 4. Only 3 of them may actively engage in one football match. This rule also applies to the Copa del Rey.
  • England | The Premier League | There are no direct limits to the number of non-EU players per team in the Premiership. It is however complicated to attain a work permit for such players, which means the number of non-EU players per team in England is kept consistently low.
  • Italy | La Serie A | The situation in Italy is quite complicated. In an attempt to protect homegrown talent, Italy has a rule that only allows football teams to sign only one non-EU player per transfer window. Seeing as there are two transfer windows per season, a team can sign two non-EU player per season. Also, this rule does not apply to domestic non-EU players, meaning non-EU players that already play in Italy. Additionally, new regulations state that a Serie A club cannot sign a fifth non-EU player unless he was already plying his trade in Italy that season.

---------

If you have any questions, please ask. If you noticed I have forgotten something; tell me and I will add it asap!

Potential sticky thread maybe?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Geof

May 14, 2004
Great Thread!
But I do have some questions:

"Italy has a rule that only allows football teams to sign only one non-EU player per transfer window."

We signed Emerson, so we can't sign any other non-EU player this season, right?

But we did sign Mutu. The fact that we loan him to Livorno doesn't change a thing. He signed a contract with Juve. Are you sure this is the right rule? And can we be sanctionated because of that?
Are you sure there is not a rule about the number of non EU players in a team?
And doesn't the fact that Emo was already playing in Italy change anything?

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Actually, there are two transfer windows per season, so a team can effectivly sign two non-EU player per season. Also, I believe this tule doesnt apply to domestic non-EU players, meaning non-EU players that already play in Italy.

OP
Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #5
    ++ [ originally posted by kurvengeflüster ] ++
    great work Erik. you have too much time :D
    I know, it's a terribly slow week :D

Edit: sticky now - lets see how long it is reasonable used
    Great stuff! Thanks :thumb:

++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
    Actually, there are two transfer windows per season, so a team can effectivly sign two non-EU player per season. Also, I believe this tule doesnt apply to domestic non-EU players, meaning non-EU players that already play in Italy.
    That is entirely correct. Thanks Zlatty! I'll add it to the first post.

djleli

Aug 12, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Geof ] ++
    Great Thread!
    But I do have some questions:

"Italy has a rule that only allows football teams to sign only one non-EU player per transfer window."

We signed Emerson, so we can't sign any other non-EU player this season, right?

But we did sign Mutu. The fact that we loan him to Livorno doesn't change a thing. He signed a contract with Juve. Are you sure this is the right rule? And can we be sanctionated because of that?
    Are you sure there is not a rule about the number of non EU players in a team?
    And doesn't the fact that Emo was already playing in Italy change anything?

keep on reading it says that 2 per year because of 2 transfer windows!

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #7
    :D He's not that dumb - I added that part later, after Zlatan answered the question!

PeeMaN

Apr 4, 2004
    great work indeed!!
    but why is it than that we can't have Mutu in our squad? As you say, there are no limits for how many non EU players a team can have in their squad. If the only restriction is that we can only buy one non-EU player per window, then we should be able to have Mutu. AFAIK we have not signed any other players during this transfer window?!?:confused:

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #9
    • Italy | La Serie A | The situation in Italy is quite complicated. In an attempt to protect homegrown talent, Italy has a rule that only allows football teams to sign only one non-EU player per transfer window. Seeing as there are two transfer windows per season, a team can sign two non-EU player per season. Also, this rule does not apply to domestic non-EU players, meaning non-EU players that already play in Italy. Additionally, new regulations state that a Serie A club cannot sign a fifth non-EU player unless he was already plying his trade in Italy that season.
    Forgot to add that :wallbang:

PeeMaN

Apr 4, 2004
    ok, so that shows that we allready have 4 non-EU players in our squad, and we will have to get rid of one of them before Mutu can come?

And whom are those players? Tudor, Appiah, Emerson and Olivera?

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    Appiah, Tudor, Olivera, Emerson, Nedved maybe?

Like I said, there was talk that players from the Czech republic wouldnt get EU status until 2006, I'm not sure if thats true or not.

Zalayeta and Montero have SPanish passports.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    He will take up a space for next season, we will sign him before then. We just have to offload a player first, IMO it's going to be either Tudor or Appiah. Probably Tudor.

arc

Mar 11, 2004
    appiah b4 tudor plz

ackkkk, no no just get rid of both of them n brg back enzo to replace appiah n buy chivu to replace tudor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)