The Enemy is at Home (2 Viewers)

Eddy

The Maestro
Aug 20, 2005
Revolution. Too bad it won't happen, most people in America have no idea what a coup d'etat is.

On a related story, my friend who was majoring in History stopped and asked "What's a coup d'etat ? Isn't that French ?" :sergio:

Now you get the point.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
I bet you the man who wrote this speech voted Obama or at least some confidence was instilled in him by a new change. My point is... don't blame a guy for hoping. Hindsight is a nice thing to have.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
Hindsight is a nice thing to have.
In the case of the ani-Iraq war and obama-skeptics, we saw this whole shitty situation coming, it's not hindsight it's common sense and you're damn right we're going to keep reminding and chastising americans about it, we offered advice and they told us to f off and played the NATO hopeful states against what Rumsfeld called jealous 'old europe' and then they came back asking us to bail them out.

It's not gone and it won't go away soon, this feeling. We were supposed to be buds, 'Europe' and the U.S. but the U.S. acted like a dick.

Then people were going Chaaaaange Hoooope and we fortold that Obama would be a continuation of the past presidents since Roosevelt with minor change but no, it was made a racial and not a common sense issue. I love American people, they're really nice when out of their home environment but a lot of them need to cop the fuck on.

C4ISR

Dec 18, 2005
War is a money making machine. Just not for the average citizen.

Forget about the Iraq war, that video could apply to any conflict in the last hundred years.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
In the case of the ani-Iraq war and obama-skeptics, we saw this whole shitty situation coming, it's not hindsight it's common sense and you're damn right we're going to keep reminding and chastising americans about it, we offered advice and they told us to f off and played the NATO hopeful states against what Rumsfeld called jealous 'old europe' and then they came back asking us to bail them out.

It's not gone and it won't go away soon, this feeling. We were supposed to be buds, 'Europe' and the U.S. but the U.S. acted like a dick.

Then people were going Chaaaaange Hoooope and we fortold that Obama would be a continuation of the past presidents since Roosevelt with minor change but no, it was made a racial and not a common sense issue. I love American people, they're really nice when out of their home environment but a lot of them need to cop the fuck on.
No one foresaw a successful end to this war within two-three years of Obama in office. What we have seen is a change in attitude of the general American public and a want for change. If Obama can't accomplish anything else, that is still an admirable legacy.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003

:lol: You talk as if Americans are a single-brained entity. Have you ever even been to friggin' San Francisco? There were protests in the streets as big as the one in Rome before March 2003. (I only wish we had "We Told You So" protests two years in.)

But apparently only non-Americans have a monopoly on detecting retards. This is like saying Fabiana is a de facto Chavez lover because she lives in Venezuela. That every German-born person loved Hitler and wanted to kill all the Jews. That Mussolini was a universal Italian idol. :rolleyes:

Just how much do you understand how the world works??

Worst of all are people like you who presume even anti-Nazi German resistors should be lumped in and accused with all the Nazis, because there's no difference. That's just doubling the amount of injustice against people who are both resisting their asshole leaders and all the asshole outsiders who casually lump them in together as the same entity. You're just doubly screwing those people over.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
:lol: You talk as if Americans are a single-brained entity. Have you ever even been to friggin' San Francisco? There were protests in the streets as big as the one in Rome before March 2003.

But apparently only non-Americans have a monopoly on detecting retards. This is like saying Fabiana is a de facto Chavez lover because she lives in Venezuela. That every German-born person loved Hitler and wanted to kill all the Jews. That Mussolini was a universal Italian idol. :rolleyes:

Worst of all are people like you who presume even anti-Nazi German resistors should be lumped in and accused with all the Nazis, because there's no difference. That's just doubling the amount of injustice.
I agree but I think the way people see it is that you voted Bush in twice and that majority which voted him in is large enough to be considered a representation of the U.S population.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I agree but I think the way people see it is that you voted Bush in twice and that majority which voted him in is large enough to be considered a representation of the U.S population.
Yes, but that's because they're morons. And from my perspective, those people are as much moronic simpletons as the people who voted for Bush.

Lump the two together and can't tell them apart? Damn, talk about clueless.

You want the number one way for people to alienate other people who support the same goals and ideas? Accuse them of being enemies and supporters of the other side. That's a sure fire way to make enemies out of people who should be your allies.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Yes, but that's because they're morons. And from my perspective, those people are as much moronic simpletons as the people who voted for Bush.

Not voting at all is just as moronic.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008

You want the number one way for people to alienate other people who support the same goals and ideas? Accuse them of being enemies and supporters of the other side. That's a sure fire way to make enemies out of people who should be your allies.
Ironically there's a George Bush quote that encapsulates that very attitude. I don't know the direct quote by heart though.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Not voting at all is just as moronic.
I would argue that it would have been less moronic if people didn't vote for Ralph Nader in 2000 and thus would have kept Bush out of office. :shifty:

About the only time it really makes sense to not vote at all, IMO, is when you really have no clue about the election or issues and thus are basically flipping a coin.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
:

Worst of all are people like you who presume even anti-Nazi German resistors should be lumped in and accused with all the Nazis, because there's no difference.
I believe I said a lot of them need to cop on, and you're implying that I do not understand the way the world works?

Don't launch an attack on me because you won't read my post in its entirety. Pretty much your entire point is invalid to what I said. I enjoy you're posts in general but you're being a bit pig-headed. I'm sure you were fully aware that nowhere within that post did I attribute anything to a 'collective entity' i.e. a Nation, which can only lead me to believe that either:

A- you didn't fully read/understand my post
or
B- you just wanted to start an argument

then there's always option C, that what I said hit close to home and set you off on an internal tangent that crossed over onto the forums.

You don't have to agree with what I post but at least try to reply in a polite and constructive manner, as I would to you.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
No one foresaw a successful end to this war within two-three years of Obama in office. What we have seen is a change in attitude of the general American public and a want for change. If Obama can't accomplish anything else, that is still an admirable legacy.
I was using Obama and Iraq as seperate cases not Obama in Iraq. I said 'a lot' I did not just attribute policy to the entire nation, I used U.S. to denote the leagal entity and not the populace, a want for real change is admirable and warranted, what with dissent being the highest form of patriotism etc. etc.,
Obama? that's getting behind a fairly moderate and typical U.S. statesman that is 'changing' things that he can't not change unless he wants a destroyed nation, healthcare the banks and so on. He's not going to create some uptopia as I posted about being miffed about the expectations of the people that went hysterical for him.(Not everybody who voted for him).

The Obama-fanatics don't represent the effection of social change, they represent that same old seals clapping their flippers and going Arrrrp Arrrp Arrrp as we see everywhere in the world.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I believe I said a lot of them need to cop on, and you're implying that I'm thick?

Don't launch an attack on me because you can't read. Pretty much your entire point is invalid to what I said.
When you throw around general terms like "Americans" above, I cannot but help believe you are referring to me in that lot. Because you'd be hard pressed to categorize me in another nationalist category.

For me, this is the equivalent of saying the Irish are drunken lazy bastards who get into fights all the time.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006

I used it once, in a sentence that would not make sense if it had not been used, I'm hardly going to rmeind/chastise Sri Lankans about it?

Btw if you read my respose I appologise for the 'thick' remark and have edited it accordingly

For me, this is the equivalent of saying the Irish are drunken lazy bastards who get into fights all the time.
The one use of 'American' above aside from the compliment is in no way similar.

If a dodgily elected Irish government had approved a unilateral drunken siesta and big brawl in Iraq THEN it would be slightly similar although still not in the sense of my post

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I used it once, in a sentence that would not make sense if it had not been used, I'm hardly going to rmeind/chastise Sri Lankans about it?

Btw if you read my respose I appologise for the 'thick' remark and have edited it accordingly
Thanks.

I honestly don't want to be a pain in the ass about it. I'm usually one to believe that people can be offended partially by choice. And while you're no Seven slagging on Muslims here, I did take offense to what seemed like a generalization about how you characterized an entire nation of diverse people.

The one use of 'American' above aside from the compliment is in no way similar.

If a dodgily elected Irish government had approved a unilateral drunken siesta and big brawl in Iraq THEN it would be slightly similar although still not in the sense of my post
It may be dissimilar in the element of choice. But in terms of demographic diversity, it is not at all dissimilar. At least as a means of demonstrating my perspective of your comments. Because while there are many examples that can help support a generalization or even a stereotype, it's another thing to act as if that represents everyone.

Because it's a very touchy issue when it comes to world politics -- the notion of diversity of opinion. For example, there are people who want to bomb China over Tibet ... and yet they have no mental fathoming that many Chinese may actually question why Tibet should be a part of China to begin with.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
Thanks.

I honestly don't want to be a pain in the ass about it. I'm usually one to believe that people can be offended partially by choice. And while you're no Seven slagging on Muslims here, I did take offense to what seemed like a generalization about how you characterized an entire nation of diverse people.
Well I have had quite a few 'post arguments' around here where the issue was not what I said but attributions that were false and it's gone into great length and a nd been pretty pointless so i'll just say that it was notmy intention to stereotype the american people, I believed my choice of words negated it, my comments still stand about obamaites and the pro-iraq war people and I'm sorry if you got offended.:beer:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)