the End of Days...!!! (1 Viewer)

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
NASA predicts that a huge asteroid will hit earth on the first of February in 2019..!!

I won't say more.. see below..

this is how it will look like when it hit earth..!!!

do you beleive this..?? frankly, I don't buy it..!!!

but, I'm curious to know your plans for the next 15 years...

Buy on AliExpress.com

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
Ya I hear ya...

Now on a more serious note, we heard these stories lots of times before but nothing happened, either there was a misscalculation or the asteroid got deflected by some other object....Anyways if its gonna happen its gonna happen its fate....Not really worried ...8a*9a2 allah o 8adaroh Man!

OP
Gandalf

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #5
    I see.. well, I should have mentioned this, althought they say that the uncertainties are large..!!

but, Astronomers have given the object a rating on the so-called Palermo technical scale of threat of 0.06, making NT7 the first object to be given a positive value.

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004
    Hmm...what is this scale? and what does the number .06 actually quantify? a percentage or what?? Also in the picture you posted it says that this asteroid could destroy a contenient, but a believe that one with this magnitude would mean the end of civilization:(

OP
    Gandalf

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #9
    agree with zlatan..

zambrotta19, the history of asteroid's detection methods is short.. it's not that accurate.. at least in it's earlier stages..

for more info about this NT7 risks.. read here...

Jul 28, 2002
    The sad thing is , it would probably bush's only idea....his people around him will have to find the solution.

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004
    I also dont believe it is gonna hit also....anyways the link you sent gandalf is not working or wrong

OP
    Gandalf

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #14
    weird, I just checked it.. and didn't work..!!!

it was working an hour ago..!!! :confused:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Didn't they already figure out it won't hit the Earth afterall? Or was that a different one again? I know I've heard this story a few times before.

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004
    Will asteroid 2002 NT7 hit the Earth?
    Hey, I was just reading on compuserve news this morning that a British astronomer discovered some type of asteriod that is 1.3 miles in length headed for earth. He said it would reach us in 17 years and it could destroy all life, or turn some of us to the dark ages. Is this true? If so is there a way to stop this ? Please give me any HONEST information you have, because the media can say otherwise all the time.

Based on the data we currently have, the odds of the asteroid known as 2002 NT7 hitting in 2019 are about 1 in 100,000, which is considered a very low risk. However, because it is such a large object, astronomers believe that it should be closely monitored. As we obtain more data, we will be able to state with more confidence whether or not the asteroid will hit the Earth.

This asteroid is at the bottom end of the range that could actually cause a global disaster. In addition to causing tremendous damage wherever it hits, the asteroid strike would throw a great deal of dust into the atmosphere, which could block the light of the Sun, possibly for several years. We call this 'impact winter', similar to the 'nuclear winter' which would follow a large nuclear war. The lack of sunlight would kill most of the plant life on Earth. For humans, this would mean famines,and possibly even extinction.

Because we have 10 years of warning, we might be able to use nuclear bombs to give the asteroid a slight nudge at just the right part of its orbit, causing it to miss us, but this would be difficult for an asteroid 2 kilometers across.

It's wise to be skeptical of what the media tell us, because they like to play up the risks to make a better story. However, if astronomers find an asteroid that has a high risk of hitting the Earth, I don't think it would be easy to cover it up. Astronomers are very conscious of our obligation to share their information with the public, and we try very hard to give accurate and helpful information to the press. With email and the internet, astronomers share information about impact hazards all the time. It would be very hard to keep the information from getting out!

I notice there hasn't been much publicity on the updates of research on 2002 NT7 Asteroid's near-collision course with the Earth in Feb. 2019. Please indicate the the most current updates as to whether Earth collision has been ruled out or still a concern of possibility.

The asteroid 2002 NT7 is no longer considered a threat to Earth. Initial models showed that there was a very small possibility that it could impact Earth in Feb. 2019, and this attracted a lot of media attention. However, two days after the media released the story, additional observations showed that there was no chance that the asteroid would hit Earth in 2019. As far as we know from the data and models that we have now, 2002 NT7 will not ever impact Earth.

I'm not sure why there's always much less press when it's discovered that an asteroid won't impact Earth, especially when it's been covered so dramatically in major media sources. Probably it's just less interesting to hear that there is no longer a threat than it is to announce a possible impact in the first place. For more information about this asteroid and about media reporting of asteroids, you can look at the impact hazards page.

If you go to that page, search the news archive for the year 2003, and go to the September 3, 2003 article you'll find some information about 2002 NT7 at the bottom. The article talks generally about asteroids that were covered by the media and tries to analyze why they garnered so much attention.

April 2004, Lynn Carter (more by Lynn Carter), Britt Scharringhausen (more by Britt Scharringhausen)

source: http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=144

Seems like ur a bit late gandalf:p

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
    Oct 27, 2004
    I'm not worried at all, because this won't happen. At least not in 2019.
    It is God who will destroy the world, with fire. How? I dunno, but I know that in his words, it's said that Noone in the world will be able to predict when he will return ;)

Sid

Nov 10, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by John #10 ] ++
    jus use some big guns and blow it up.....the Bush solution.
    i was thinking the same too..maybe thats the best way...right? but that would lead to many fragment, would it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)