The Classico: Brazil vs. Argentina (Wed June02) (1 Viewer)

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
Well, the match of all matches !!

It's certainly going to be exciting watching Ronaldo, Kaka, and Ronaldinho mixing it with Aimar, Riquelme and Saviola. I'm sure all players from both teams will be worked up for this 'derby' as it is certainly worth more than 3 points with national pride involved here.

Too bad Ayala is suspended as I've seen Valencia-Real in La Liga and must say Ayala did a terrific job in blocking Ronaldo completely out of the game. But let's not forget the tower of defence - SAMUEL - who will try to stop the Brazilian trio from threatening their GK.

I also watched Brazil play France in a 0-0 International friendly marking 100 years of FIFA not long ago and Brazil looked impressive with most players in-form except the finishing was a bit poor.

--------

Here is the Qualif Table before this round of matches:

Pos Team P W D L F A Pts
1) Argentina 5 3 2 0 10 3 11
2) Paraguay 5 3 1 1 8 6 10
3) Brazil 5 2 3 0 7 5 9
4) Venezuela 5 3 0 2 6 6 9
5) Chile 5 2 1 2 7 6 7
6) Uruguay 5 2 1 2 11 11 7
7) Peru 5 1 2 2 6 6 5
8) Ecuador 5 1 1 3 3 4 4
9) Colombia 5 1 1 3 4 8 4
10) Bolivia 5 1 0 4 5 12 3

Top four nations qualify automatically, fifth place team faces a play-off against the winner of the Oceania competition in order to reach the finals.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Whenever Brazil have a match I back their opponents, and this game will be no exception. Both sides have plenty of creative, explosive, attacking players and that should make for a classic encounter. Defensively the Argentines are better imo, even though Ayala isn't available, and this could be the decisive factor.

PS. What system do Argentina use? They have a number of quality playmakers (Aimar, Riquelme, D'Alessandro) and I'm curious as to who will command a starting place.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
Whenever Brazil have a match I back their opponents, and this game will be no exception.
As hated as the Argentines are worldwide, I'm with you on this one. And it's not just that AC Milan cherry-picked much of Brasil's national squad. ;)

Unfortunately I won't get to see the game until Saturday -- as well as Columbia-Uruguay, etc. But at least Spanish-language television here shows it free after the delay...

The last Brasil match I saw, vs. Paraguay in Paraguay, ended 0-0 in the rain. Brasil looked less than inspired, but a number of their starters were at the end of a long club season. It will be interesting how their form will be in facing Argentina now that many seasons are over.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
DONT MISS VENEZUELA - CHILE TOMORROW!!!

Then on wednesday Argentina - Brasil, aguante Argentina!!! hope they can beat Brazil!

Jul 19, 2003
PS. What system do Argentina use? They have a number of quality playmakers (Aimar, Riquelme, D'Alessandro) and I'm curious as to who will command a starting place.
Last Argentina match I've seen....they had Aimar and D'Alessandro playing together, but that was a friendly, so maybe Riquelme wasn't called up for that.

OP
dpforever

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #11
    TERESOPOLIS, Brazil, May 31 (Reuters) - Brazil striker Ronaldinho will miss Wednesday's World Cup qualifier against Argentina because of a thigh strain and has been replaced by Luis Fabiano, coach Carlos Alberto Parreira said on Monday.

'Ronaldinho has been in excellent form and will definitely be missed,' Parreira told reporters after practice at the team's mountain retreat around 100 kilometres from Rio de Janeiro.

'But I have full confidence that Luis Fabiano, who has been confirmed in the team, will live up to our expectations.'

Luis Fabiano, who scored twice in the 4-1 friendly win over Hungary in April, is famed for his clinical finishing and an explosive temper that earned him four red cards for his club last year.

'I'm happy because I've been waiting for this chance and it's appeared,' Luis Fabiano said.

Brazil doctor Jose Luis Runco said central defender Luisao would also miss the match with a similar injury.

'Both Luisao and Ronaldinho are in a complicated situation,' he said. 'The pain is strong and there's not enough time for them to recovery by Wednesday.

DREAM TRIO

Runco said both players appeared to have suffered typical end-of-season injuries and would have X-rays to decide whether they would be fit for Sunday's game away to Chile.

Ronaldinho, who left Sunday afternoon's practice match early, has had a brilliant season for Barcelona in Spain.

His absence again deprives Parreira the chance to field the so-called dream trio of Ronaldo-Ronaldinho-Kaka.

The three have started only two matches together - although Brazil have failed to score on each occasion.

Benfica's Luisao, who has a problem in his right thigh, had been one of three candidates to replace injured Lucio at the centre of the defence.

His absence means either Juan or Cris will partner Roque Junior.

Argentina lead the South American World Cup qualifying group with 11 points from five games. Brazil are third with nine points. Both teams are unbeaten.

The top four teams qualify directly for Germany in 2006 while the fifth plays off against the winners of the Oceania region.

By: Pedro Fonseca. Source: soccernet.com

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    I'm glad he's out. That'll make it easier for the Argie defenders.
    Halves the quality of the football though

I hope Australia doesn't have to play Uruguay in the play-off, I'd probably prefer Chile or Peru.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
    TERESOPOLIS, Brazil, May 31 (Reuters) - Brazil striker Ronaldinho will miss Wednesday's World Cup qualifier against Argentina because of a thigh strain and has been replaced by Luis Fabiano, coach Carlos Alberto Parreira said on Monday.

'Ronaldinho has been in excellent form and will definitely be missed,' Parreira told reporters after practice at the team's mountain retreat around 100 kilometres from Rio de Janeiro.

'But I have full confidence that Luis Fabiano, who has been confirmed in the team, will live up to our expectations.'

Luis Fabiano, who scored twice in the 4-1 friendly win over Hungary in April, is famed for his clinical finishing and an explosive temper that earned him four red cards for his club last year.

'I'm happy because I've been waiting for this chance and it's appeared,' Luis Fabiano said.

Brazil doctor Jose Luis Runco said central defender Luisao would also miss the match with a similar injury.

'Both Luisao and Ronaldinho are in a complicated situation,' he said. 'The pain is strong and there's not enough time for them to recovery by Wednesday.

DREAM TRIO

Runco said both players appeared to have suffered typical end-of-season injuries and would have X-rays to decide whether they would be fit for Sunday's game away to Chile.

Ronaldinho, who left Sunday afternoon's practice match early, has had a brilliant season for Barcelona in Spain.

His absence again deprives Parreira the chance to field the so-called dream trio of Ronaldo-Ronaldinho-Kaka.

The three have started only two matches together - although Brazil have failed to score on each occasion.

Benfica's Luisao, who has a problem in his right thigh, had been one of three candidates to replace injured Lucio at the centre of the defence.

His absence means either Juan or Cris will partner Roque Junior.

Argentina lead the South American World Cup qualifying group with 11 points from five games. Brazil are third with nine points. Both teams are unbeaten.

The top four teams qualify directly for Germany in 2006 while the fifth plays off against the winners of the Oceania region.

By: Pedro Fonseca. Source: soccernet.com

This really a shittie news... i saw it yesterday and i coudlnt believed it.

I was waiting for a great spectacle from both teams and this is really a bad news from a neutral viewer like me.

Well... Kakak will play... lets hope that he will offer us great plays... the same go for the argentinians.

Lets see which team do better tomorrow.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

Halves the quality of the football though

I hope Australia doesn't have to play Uruguay in the play-off, I'd probably prefer Chile or Peru.
    I love attractive, quality football, but if no quality means Brazil loses, fine by me.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    This qualifiers are starting to suck
    Venezuela was the best team but we still lost 0-1 to Chile
    I'll never forget this two days if Brazil wins tomorrow. Ugh

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    On the bright side of things; if Argentina beat Brazil bad enough Venezuela would overtake the World Champs on goal difference, pushing them down to 5th in the table :extatic:

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    Here is the preview by soccerage... I can't wait for this game.

06/01/2004. BACKGROUND:
    Third place and undefeated Brazil host first place and undefeated Argentina in a Wednesday evening qualifier at Mineirao stadium in Belo Horizonte. The Albiceleste are on top of the South American World Cup Qualifying table with 11 points from five matches. Brazil is in third place, with two points and Paraguay keeping the world champions from first place. Argentina defeated Brazil 2-1 when the sides last met. That was four years ago in 2002 World Cup Qualifying.

TEAM NEWS & RECENT FORM:
    BRAZIL (Recent 5 Results: DWDDD)
    Manager Carlos Alberto Parreira suffered a huge blow recently when Ronaldinho was scratched with a thigh strain. Central defender Lucio, Luisao and reserve goalkeeper Marcos also are among the "walking wounded."

The Auriverde are coming off a meaningless 0-0 draw with France in a FIFA Centenary exhibition last week. Before that the selecao waxed Hungary 4-1 in late April in Budapest. Luis Fabiano scored two goals and will replace Ronaldinho in the attack against Argentina. Either Juan or Cris will fill the void left by Lucio and partner with Roque Junior in central defense.

Despite being undefeated in qualifying, Brazil have been held to draws in their last three encounters (Paraguay, Uruguay, Peru). In between the Paraguay and Uruguay ties, the world champions also were held to a scoreless draw in Dublin against Ireland.

ARGENTINA (Recent 5 Results: WWDWW)
    Marcelo Bielsa's list of missing players is worse than Parreira's. A combination of injuries and suspensions leaves the South American table's first place side without Juan Roman Riquelme, Andres D'Alessandro, Juan Sebastian Veron, Esteban Cambiasso and Matias Almeyda. In addition Bielsa mysteriously left off Boca's superman Carlos Tevez, whilst handing 19-year old Javier Mascherano of River Plate his full debut against the world champions.

On the positive side Albiceleste supporters welcome back influential defender Walter Samuel as well as the duo from Inter, Javier Zanetti and Cristian Gomez. The trio were absent from March 30th's qualifying victory over Ecuador.

Argentina last played at the end of April, when they handed Morocco a 1-0 loss in Casablanca. Their four prior matches all have been qualifiers, and the matches produced victories over the aforementioned Ecuador, as well as Bolivia and Venezuela. The lone blemish was a 1-1 draw with Colombia.

PLAYERS TO WATCH
    BRAZIL – Kaka took the Serie A by storm this past season with AC Milan, and the 22-year old will be pulling strings in midfield for Brazil. There are many reasons why the experts and the players themselves are so high on this youngster. Argentina will hope they do not find out first-hand.

ARGENTINA – Walter Samuel returns from suspension to anchor the Albiceleste defense. The new Real Madrid man will be crucial if Argentina are to come away from the Mineirao stadium with a draw or even the full three points.

PROBABLE LINEUPS:
    BRAZIL - Dida (GK); Cafu, Cris, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlos; Edmilson, Juninho Pernambucano, Ze Roberto, Kaka; Ronaldo, Luis Fabiano

ARGENTINA - Pablo Cavallero (GK); Facundo Quiroga, Walter Samuel, Gabriel Heinze; Javier Zanetti, Javier Mascherano, Juan Pablo Sorin, Pablo Aimar, Cristian Gonzalez; Hernan Crespo, Cesar Delgado
    Andrew Giffen
    http://www.soccerage.com/en/13/v1475.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)