The BEST league in the world (1 Viewer)

jamaliano

Dec 7, 2002
How do you judge this. Its the toughest think to do. Should we use the teams result in Europe to judge this? I dont think so. Serie A for all the terrible results they have had in Europe recently has been by far the toughest and the best league in europe.

Spanish and English sides have performed better than the Italians but that just makes Leeds an overachiever. I think we should judge leagues by 2 major things.

1. how many real world class teams they have. For along time Italy had seven good teams which made the championship great. The evaporation of Parma, Fiorentina and to some extent Lazio has really made Serie A worse. Where else will you see Roma-Lazio, Milan-Inter, derbies between title contenders. However well the Italians do this year, Serie A is by far a weaker league now than lets say 2 yrs ago when they all crashed out of Europe. EPL is improving very fast. There was only Man U a few years back. Now that Liverpool, Arsenal(which is truely world class now), Newcastle, and Leeds(dont look at the league table, it does not show everything) have made significant improvement thus making the league much better. Spain has always been a league of 2 + the rest. They have not thrown away this image fully but the return of both Atletico Madrid and Betis to the top flight and the strength of Valencia and Deportivo(I hope they dont fade away. They a very weak fan base) has spiced the primera alot.

2. The top class players in the league. This was Serie A's real strength in the past. The best use to come to Italy. The best were in Italy. This has changed alot. For the first time in the history of the Serie A, there is a star player exodus out of the league. Zidane, Veron, Ronaldo have all left. The arrival of Rivaldo is the only consolidation. New talent use to come to Italy, now players like Saviola, Aimar and the rest have choosen spain. Only time will tell whether they will end up in Italy once they mature like Claudio Lopez.

Verdict: Italy is still the No: 1 by a whisker from spain. But if Atletico and Betis improve, then Spain will be the undoubted supremo. EPL has a very good prognosis. They have one problem though. They are all companies and have to think of profits and not results always.

Serie A prognosis: Good results in europe just increases the prestige of the league and does not always determine the underlying strength of the League. Serie A's No1 status is threatened more by financial problems than Champions league results. Of the seven sisters, only 4 are in good health. Lazio is in the ICU, Fiore is gone and Parma is no longer a title contender. If Lazio losses its strength then Serie A, however well they do in Europe will no longer be the best league. Prognosis: poor in the short term.

ps: spain and england should reduce the no of teams to 18. What is the use of going to Numancia or Osasuna!

Buy on AliExpress.com

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
thats right!

i think what makes the serie A the BEST is the games. in spain you won't see so many huge encounters and thrilling matches like in italy. loads of great teams are in italy, filled by great players.

big games in italy:

Juventus - Roma
Roma - Juventus
Inter - Milan
Milan - Inter
Juventus - Milan
Milan - Juventus
Roma - Lazio
Lazio - Roma
Juventus - Torino
Torino - Juventus
Lazio - Milan
Milan - Lazio
Inter - Roma
Roma - Inter
Milan - Roma
Roma - Milan
Lazio - Juventus
Juventus - Lazio
Lazio - Inter
Inter - Lazio
Juventus - Inter
Inter - Juventus
last year Chievo - Hellas
last year Hellas - Chievo

all the games with parma and more and more...

so many great games with great players!
another thing that makes the Serie A the best is the dramatic situations. the space between the teams in the top are small, only few points and the battle keeps going till the last day of the season.. look at the top of the table now: very interesting...

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
I have seen comparisons to England and Spain here but neither Argentina nor Brazil get a mention...
Best league in the world? Perhaps though I wouldn't know as I don't get to watch Latin-American football.
Best league in Europe? Now that's something to debate about! If at least three out of the four Italian teams make it to the Quarter Finals of the CL this season then I truly believe the Serie A has made a comeback!

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
If at least three out of the four Italian teams make it to the Quarter Finals of the CL this season then I truly believe the Serie A has made a comeback!
They Will For Sure
Forza Serie A :thumb:

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
Best league in the world? Perhaps though I wouldn't know as I don't get to watch Latin-American football.
i see south american football.

brazilian league has great talents. there are loads of great goals and the passion for football is amazing. the style is attacking most of the time and and there are great teams with great competition! temple of football!

but the brazilian league is not a contender, because the great players prefers to play in europe when the time comes, because of the salaries and more.. and the teams left without them. in that way the sqauds are not stable and keep changing all the time. the teams aren't balanced because sometimes players on some positions don't get to the quality of players in other positions. the brazilian league is a big mess and the FA and presidenst are very corrupt. there is also the money problem.

OP
jamaliano

jamaliano

Dec 7, 2002
  • Thread Starter #8
    I have seen comparisons to England and Spain here but neither Argentina nor Brazil get a mention...
    Best league in Europe? Now that's something to debate about! If at least three out of the four Italian teams make it to the Quarter Finals of the CL this season then I truly believe the Serie A has made a comeback!

if you have read my post then you will know exactly why i have not included Argentina or Brazil. They are only three contenders here, Serie A, EPL and the Primera.

CL success should not be a criteria at least in the short term. Juventus and Milan are as big as they were last year. The players they have now were all in Italy last year. Roma is doing badly now both in Serie A and the league but that does not make there squad is weaker than it was last year. I dont know if i am putting my point across.

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
    even higher. but i think the elite of the dutch, Portuguese, french league is maybe better because the brazilian league sends their good players to there. but there is always growing of new talents in brazil, so in a whole, brazilian league is better.

argentinian league is excellent too but the huge money problem puts her in a place they don't deserve to be. i also don't like the system. and too much violent

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by jamaliano ] ++
    if you have read my post then you will know exactly why i have not included Argentina or Brazil. They are only three contenders here, Serie A, EPL and the Primera.
    And why is that I wondered?!

CL success should not be a criteria at least in the short term. Juventus and Milan are as big as they were last year. The players they have now were all in Italy last year. Roma is doing badly now both in Serie A and the league but that does not make there squad is weaker than it was last year. I dont know if i am putting my point across.
    CL success not a criteria? That's what it's all about! You can talk about this team being better than the other because it has this big name players but the CL puts it to the test. The teams in question actually have to face eachother!

And even in the short term, CL matters a big deal. For the rise and fall of leagues happen so very quickly that only the latest results really matter! Past glory is useless!!

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Oded ] ++
    even higher. but i think the elite of the dutch, Portuguese, french league is maybe better because the brazilian league sends their good players to there. but there is always growing of new talents in brazil, so in a whole, brazilian league is better.

argentinian league is excellent too but the huge money problem puts her in a place they don't deserve to be. i also don't like the system. and too much violent
    It's basically all about money, I agree. The leagues that have it can attract the best players, the leagues that don't have it see them leave...

OP
    jamaliano

jamaliano

Dec 7, 2002
  • Thread Starter #12

And why is that I wondered?!

CL success not a criteria? That's what it's all about! You can talk about this team being better than the other because it has this big name players but the CL puts it to the test. The teams in question actually have to face eachother!

And even in the short term, CL matters a big deal. For the rise and fall of leagues happen so very quickly that only the latest results really matter! Past glory is useless!!

lets agree to disagree then, because I feel short term results in the CL is like a stock market flactuation. If Italy craps for 10 yrs then of course i will agree. The no. of "world class teams" and the presence of top players are more important.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    We definitely disagree here! :)

The number of world class teams doesn't mean anything to me as they can play horrible and loose everything.

In the presence of big names in a team, I put no value either. A reputation doesn't win trophees!

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
    i agree with jamaliano here. italian teams do bad in europe for two years and that makes the quality of the league (league!!) lower? it's two different competitions, and every team train everyday for the style of thier league teams. the serie A is just great!

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    i think the downside of the primera is the inbalance between the good and the not-so-good teams,eg.the good teams are so good and the not so good are just mediocre.whereas in the serie a there are always teams which surprise us,eg.chievo,atlanta etc.

OP
    jamaliano

jamaliano

Dec 7, 2002
  • Thread Starter #16
    ++ [ originally posted by Oded ] ++
    i agree with jamaliano here. italian teams do bad in europe for two years and that makes the quality of the league (league!!) lower? it's two different competitions, and every team train everyday for the style of thier league teams. the serie A is just great!

exactly, we are talking of the League here. German teams did well last year, does that make the bundesliga better than serie A? of course not. There is only one really world class team in germany and that is Bayern. The fact that they were eliminated this year just shows you exactly why the CL should not be used to judge a league in the SHORT term.

OP
    jamaliano

jamaliano

Dec 7, 2002
  • Thread Starter #17
    ++ [ originally posted by Paranoia ] ++
    i think the downside of the primera is the inbalance between the good and the not-so-good teams,eg.the good teams are so good and the not so good are just mediocre.whereas in the serie a there are always teams which surprise us,eg.chievo,atlanta etc.

There is Real Sociedad, Atletico Bilbao, Alaves etc that add spice to the primera. The bad thing is they are 20 teams there so you always have this as you put it "mediocre" teams around. The real bad thing in Spain is there are only 2 really big teams. Valencia has improved alot but still cant hold on to its star players. Deportivo is doing its best with its limited clout. The return of Atletico Madrid and the reduction of teams from 20 to 18 will make this league great.

OP
    jamaliano

jamaliano

Dec 7, 2002
  • Thread Starter #20
    ++ [ originally posted by Paranoia ] ++
    alaves aren't exactly small and ditto for bilbao.as for sociedad,we don't know how long they can keep this up.(remember bolton?)
    dont under rate Sociedad. They are NOT bolton or any other pacesetter i assure u. A drew with Real at the Barnebeu and against Depor plus a win against Barca is more than enough to show what they can do. They might not win the league but are serious contenders for a CL perth. They have good players all over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)